SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Two months of pattern-free productivity! ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Two months of pattern-free productivity!
I'm proud and wanted to share.
HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/2/13 4:23 PM

My family has been requesting some stuff and my sister finally gave birth, so I have been a production machine. I wanted to share what I made! Bear with me--if these pictures don't show up the first time I will have to go back in and edit. The tablet Flickr site is weird so three might not work.

Test Greyhound jacket
This is a jacket for my mother's greyhound. The belly strap isn't quite long enough yet, but I was testing the pattern from far away and wasn't sure what would work. I am happy to report that it is otherwise gravy, so I can fix the belly strap and make a heavy winter jacket for the pooch. Any suggestions for places I can find shearling (for lining the jacket) and windbreaker fabric (for the outside?)

Holiday men towel
My mother and I fell in LOVE with this fabric xD so I made a pair of matching guest towels for her and her friend. It's a cotton fabric so I lined it in terry cloth and added red pompoms to the bottom xD I have about a yard and a half left, so I plan to make holiday dinner napkins out of it!! I have another set of yardage by this same designer, but it's construction men. Hilarious. I think I will make an apron from them. XD

First round of baby items for my sister and niece
This is the first baby care package I sent my sister. She did not get bibs or nursing covers from anyone at her baby shower, so I made her some! I also made two different styles of nursing pads to try (she later told me she liked the round one, so I made more of those for her), and a Boppy cover that is canvas on one side and corduroy on the other.

Pretty nursing cover with boning
Because the other nursing cover was more baby-themed, I decided to make her a pretty one too. She loved this fabricI also added a patch of terry cloth to the inside. I wasn't sure if she would use it but I thought it might be handy.

Other side
My niece snoozing on her Boppy. XD

Corduroy Boppy cover
Sister said Niece nurses better on the corduroy side of the other Boppy cover I made her, so I made one that is all corduroy. I wasn't sure if it was the color or the fabric that Niece must like, but figured this was a good try. Sister says she loves my covers because the fabric is more absorbent and durable than the Boppy brand covers.made me feel good!

Flannel nursing pads with soft cotton lining
More pretty nursing pads. Sister says she loves these because they fit and feel better than the disposable ones, but the flannel on the inside of the other ones is a little too rough. These are lined with 100% cotton from old sheets to hopefully be softer for her. Does anyone know of a good source of 100% cotton that is very soft?

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!!
In: 90 yards
Sewn: 42.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

chriseen

chriseen  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 10/24/06
Send Message

Date: 10/2/13 7:52 PM

Very nice items. Lucky sister. Lucky (and adorable) niece.

BriarRose
BriarRose
Intermediate
WY USA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/3/13 0:52 AM

You are a sewing machine! (Pun awkward but I own up to it anyway.) Those are all lovely, funny items.

------
I've quit fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

It's just fabric; we can out-think it.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 5:44 AM

So I am making a layette for my husbands neice- our great nephew is due. Wonderful ideas! I never heard of a boppy, like you bibs and never thought of making nursing pads - I just used cut old diapers. What pattern resources can you offer?
My email is dnsdickenson@yahoo.com
Thanks, Sandi

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

biddy 1
biddy 1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/13
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 6:44 AM

Very nice. What did you fill the boppy with? I have spent the last two weeks working on baby gifts for four different families lot of work but it sure is fun.

jewelsfashions

jewelsfashions
Advanced Beginner
MN USA
Member since 9/8/06
Send Message

In reply to HanPanda <<

Date: 10/3/13 7:46 AM

Very nice! I forgot that when I was nursing I hated those disposable things! I didn't sew at all during baby time then or I would have had these! Love every thing you have here.
As far as outdoor fabric, maybe give seattle fabrics a try? I haven't been on their site for maybe 4 years now so don't know what they offer.

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 11:12 AM

Thanks for sharing your fun and enthusiastic sewing! And it's a nice reminder that we don't have to worry about fitting, welt pockets, and sharp points all the time (see where I am?).

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 3:00 PM

Thank you, all!

Annie-oh, it has been such a nice change of pace to not have to worry about those things. I am really getting into crafty sewing :3 But I do miss making my 50s dresses....I am sure I will be back to it before too long!! @_@

Briar Rose, I LOVE that pun. Thank you ;w;

Sandi--Boppy is a brand pillow shaped like a U, as you can see. A nursing mom can wrap it around her waist to help support the baby while nursing. Also good for naps, sitting Baby up, and other things. Biddy1, I didn't make the pillow, just the covers. You can google all kinds of patterns for Boppy covers! Lots of enterprising young moms make their own. As for the nursing pads, I used a large mug to make a circle, then cut a pie wedge out and sewed the wedge closed to give the pad some contour. I serged the edges with wooly nylon for softness, but a zig-zag would work just as well I am sure!

Jewelsfashion--thanks for the suggestion! I will try it out. Haha when I had asked her if she wanted to try reusable nursing pads before Neice was born, she said "....what are nursing pads?" XD;; That's why I only made two at first; I wasn't sure she'd like them. But she loves them! She said it makes her sad when she has used both and had to switch to disposables, which is why I made her more xD;
-- Edited on 10/3/13 3:04 PM --

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!!
In: 90 yards
Sewn: 42.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 10/4/13 7:13 AM

Thanks for some wonderful ideas!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 10/4/13 8:32 AM

Wow. These are great. Everything. I think your mom needs that apron ;)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Two months of pattern-free productivity!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

McCall's 6571

photo
by: ArtAttack

Review
Beginner Sewing Lab 104 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 104  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Beginner Sewing Lab 103 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 103  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
McCall's 6322

photo
by: Julia Bobb...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.