SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Vintage Hankerchief Quilt? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Vintage Hankerchief Quilt?
Cathyaw
Cathyaw
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/27/11
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 9:06 AM

Our son brought a pizza box to me full of vintage ladies' handkerchiefs. They belong to a friend of his who would like them preserved in the form of a quilt. They are varied in size, but are generally made of the fine cotton one sees in these older pieces...therefore, fragile.
Has anyone seen this done or done something like this?
This is well beyond my expertise. If you know someone who would be capable and interested, please let me know.
Thanks so much,
Cathy

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Cathyaw <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/3/13 9:11 AM

I would maybe approach it like a t-shirt quilt and stabilize the handkerchiefs.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

AngieRose

AngieRose  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/1/09
Send Message

In reply to Cathyaw <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/3/13 10:34 AM

If you type in: handkerchief quilts into Google search, then click at the top on Images, you will see dozens of beautiful quilts made with handkerchiefs. Lots of Inspiration!

Also, type into Google: Handkerchief quilt patterns for more ideas.

I have some old handkerchief from my Mother, and I hope to make something with them at some point----just haven't decided for sure what. I've also seen some purse and tote patterns using vintage handkerchiefs.

------
Angie Rose
2008 Babylock Ellisimo
2013 Brother DreamWeaver VQ3000
Bernina 1090
Singer Featherweight
2009 Prodigy Quilter Long Arm
http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 11:28 AM

That is an interesting idea! I also have a collection of vintage hankies that I'd like to be able to showcase in a project but I don't do quilting. Anyway its an interesting idea! I'd like to see how that turns out if you do it.

And I'm always up for ideas on how to use vintage hankies. On my blog I show several "no-sew" projects I made with vintage hankies (because I was reluctant to cut/sew them.)
-- Edited on 10/3/13 11:30 AM --

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Cathyaw <<

Date: 10/3/13 12:25 PM

I would have never thought to do this. I have vintage handkerchiefs from my deceased mother. What a wonderful wall hanging they would make! I'll have to look more into how to make one. :)

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Ethansgram
Ethansgram  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 2/12/08
Send Message

In reply to Cathyaw <<

Date: 10/3/13 1:09 PM

I have been collecting handkerchiefs from antique shops and thrift stores for years with a plan to make a quilt. The idea was inspired by a picture in a magazine many years ago of a coverlet made from handkerchiefs. My plan is to sew them onto a background fabric of soft white cotton as appliqués, using either very fine white thread or perhaps an invisible poly thread. I've chosen white or mostly white handkerchiefs; the ones in the magazine picture were mostly beautiful floral type prints in pink shades.

I don't think I'll use batting in mine as in a traditional quilt, but will likely using another piece of the cotton as a backing to make a light coverlet. We'll see when the time comes. They would be beautiful in a traditional quilt style also.

------
Grandma to arguably the cutest 8-year old ever!

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Cathyaw <<

Date: 10/3/13 8:56 PM

How adorable of your son (a boy!) and his friend!

Take a look at some of these beauties.

Cathyaw
Cathyaw
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/27/11
Send Message

Date: 10/4/13 6:29 AM

Thank you...if anyone has not looked, these are incredible!!
If you have made one, or know how, what backing did you use for the hankies? It seems that one would want to show, if not feature, the outer seams of each piece. Many have lace or tatting or beautiful turned hems with hand stitching. Oh, for the lost arts of the needle!
Cathy

Adaire
star
Adaire  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/20/12
Send Message

In reply to Cathyaw <<

Date: 10/4/13 7:10 AM

This post is very interesting to me. My father brought back a number of linen hankies from Belgium after WWII. He brought them for my mother and many of them have hand made lace on the edges. I have kept them all these years and have doled out a few for family weddings. Now I'm thinking perhaps I could find a way to display them.

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Elona <<

Date: 10/4/13 9:43 AM

Quote: Elona
How adorable of your son (a boy!) and his friend!

Take a look at some of these beauties.

Oh MY could get LOST on that Pinterest board for days!

WONDERFUL beautiful gorgeous stuff!

Thanks for sharing it!

------
Cathryn

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Vintage Hankerchief Quilt?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Wiksten Tova

photo
by: sasha.dana...

Review
SewBaby The Sleeve Saver Bib Pattern

SewBaby The Sleeve Saver Bib Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 104 Pattern

Petite Plus 104 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.