SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina 440 or 450 or new 530? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 440 or 450 or new 530?
Which machine should I buy?
Carriekaye
Carriekaye  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 11/20/04
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 12:43 PM

What are the differences between the Bernina 440 & 450?

I can buy a new in the box 450 for $1800 plus shipping or a barely used 440 for $1600 locally. Both have a walking foot and a BSR.

Or I can travel over an hour to the nearest Bernina dealer and buy a new 530 for $2000 cash plus tax.

Yikes, how do I compare and decide?! Bernina owners, please help me with this.

Thanks bunches!

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to Carriekaye <<

Date: 10/3/13 12:50 PM

carrie,
I can't tell you the differences because I've never sewn on a 4-series machine. But, I own a 530 and really love it. Besides, the price you're getting of $2000 is amazing. I paid $200 more for mine last year and I had to really work with the dealer as she wanted $2999 for it.
I'm not sure but I think the 4-series are discontinued models and have older technology if that's important to you.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 12:51 PM

The Bernina 440 has a 5.5 mm feed dog width with the CB hook system. The 450 is a 9 mm rotary hook machine. They are both discontinued machines. The 530 is a 5.5 mm machine without embroidery capability.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 12:57 PM

440: 5.5 mm CB hook
450: 9mm Rotary hook
530: better lighting CB hook

Will the new in the box 450 come with the full factory warranty? Is is coming from a dealer? Warranties do not transfer and are for the original buyer only.

Both prices on the Aurora's (440/450) are really good especially with the BSR included. The 530 does not come with it and it is around $900 new.

I've sewn on both the 440 and 450. Both produce beautiful stitches and are easy to use. I have never sewn on a 530.

Keep in mind dealer support is very important if you have issues. Parts can get pricey if you don't have a warranty. If that doesn't matter to you, I'd go with the 440 or 450 just because I think the Aurora line was excellent.

Here's a Comparison Chart that you can compare the 450 to the 530. The 450 has a lot more stitches.

Best of lucky in choosing!!

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/3/13 12:58 PM

I would wait and try the new B560 machine, which will be available shortly. It has optional embroidery module.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 4:58 PM

I have owned a 450. Wonderful machine, beautiful 9mm stitches. I currently own a 430, which is also a very nice machine. And I have owned a 530 - which was great, I only sold it to upgrade. (yes, the sewing machine shuffle has been active in my house the last few years ) The prices you are quoted seem very good, if they have a warranty and dealer support.

That said, I much prefer the 5 series. Better interface, much much better lighting, and there is no comparison with the memory features. 5 series is much better with memory functions. Like Lynn, I would wait and look at the 560 since it is a 9mm machine and can add embroidery in the future.

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Carriekaye
Carriekaye  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 11/20/04
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 5:01 PM

Thank you all of you for giving me your input!!!

I am not interested in embroidery at this point, so that part doesn't matter. I do need to think about the various features, warranties, store help if any, etc.

Does anyone know how to tell how much use a machine has on it? Someone somewhere said one can tell the total number of hours or stitches a machine has. But how can I tell that? Here's why...

I'm leaning towards the loaded used 440 except the seller has no clue how much it was used. She bought it from a Bernina store for $2,500 and was told it had one owner - nothing more. She hasn't used it at all in the years it's sat in her closet. I appreciate any input you Bernina owners can share!

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 5:07 PM

Have her take it go a tech and he can tell her how many stitches the machine has done. Could be few or a lot more than you were hold.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Carriekaye
Carriekaye  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 11/20/04
Send Message

In reply to SewBusy63 <<

Date: 10/3/13 5:11 PM

Hi Diana,
Thank you for that chart! It is a super tool!! I was wondering about the warranty on the new in the box 450, and had asked about it. Just got the answer... He is a Bernina machine repairman who was owed $ by a Bernina dealer who went out of business. The dealer couldn't pay him and gave him the 450 instead. He says the warranty is good, but only in Canada.It's a still a new machine from 2011 that's in an unopened box.

I have dumb question... why would I want a 9mm versus a 5mm and along those lines, what is the difference/benefit of having the CB hook over the Rotary hook? I have much to learn!

I like your tagline Bible verse. He is my light too! :-)

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

Date: 10/3/13 6:09 PM

CarrieKaye - The 430 I currently have sat in its box in my daughter's closet for four years. When she sent it to me, I could not turn it on. It needed a new L Print board - between 150-200. My tech told me that his 430 did the same thing. It sat for a couple of years, the L print board was dead. I don't know if this happens when they sit, and neither did my tech, but I would caution you to make sure the machine turns on and all features work before you buy it.

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina 440 or 450 or new 530?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Kwik Sew 2952

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Candice

Candice

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Large Tote and Satchel Pattern

You Sew Girl Large Tote and Satchel Pattern

Buy Now
New Look 6569

photo
by: sewdc

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.