SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Two Quilts Cut - One Night ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Two Quilts Cut - One Night
Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/4/13 9:41 PM

I am taking a Bargello class tomorrow and I had some homework to do today to prepare for the class, cut 5 2-1/2'' strips from 20 different fabrics. That's 100 strips if anyone is counting. I had 20 half yard cuts selected for the project in a variety of teal and tans. Last week I heard the owner of my LQS say that after cutting all the required strips for the Bargello there would be enough left over to cut tumbler blocks and there would be no waste. That really grabbed my attention so I purchased a Creatuve Grids Tumbler Ruler. And tonight I completed cutting two quilts in on fell swoop. I already have another project planned with it... to make a flannel tumbler quilt for DH.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 10/4/13 11:41 PM

My goodness. You are a fast cutter. Can't wait to see the projects.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 10/4/13 11:43 PM

Wow, I salute you, I think I am a big hero if I cut one block a day!!

------
Barb

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 10/5/13 0:17 AM

I'll see if I can get some pictures posted. Oh I figured I cut 200 tumblers.

------

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/5/13 7:55 AM

omg I wouldn't even be able to move my shoulder after all that cutting can't wait to see your finished projects.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 10/5/13 10:03 AM

You GO girl!

What an awesome feeling, to walk away with TWO quilts cut out!

And...what the HECK is that crazy ruler????? Need pictures...

------
Cathryn

AngieRose

AngieRose  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/1/09
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/5/13 11:19 AM

Wow, that is a a lot of rotary cutting! I hope you didn't overdo---I take frequent breaks while cutting. Bargello quilts are fun, but the cutting can get crazy!

I've never seen a Bargello with 5.5" wide strips so please post a picture when it's finished.

Have you ever used June Taylor's "Shape n' Cut" ruler for strip cutting? New rotary cutting blade--and the Shape n' Cut makes for very fast strip cutting!

------
Angie Rose
2008 Babylock Ellisimo
2013 Brother DreamWeaver VQ3000
Bernina 1090
Singer Featherweight
2009 Prodigy Quilter Long Arm
http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 10/5/13 11:37 AM

Wow!! I sure hope the lqs people were right about the amounts needed, but I can't wait to see both quilts...

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to AngieRose <<

Date: 10/5/13 11:40 AM

Quote:
Have you ever used June Taylor's "Shape n' Cut" ruler for strip cutting? New rotary cutting blade--and the Shape n' Cut makes for very fast strip cutting!

Is there a trick for using that??? I've got one and can't get my cutting blade down most of the lines...and I've shaved off parts of one of the ones I can get down.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/5/13 7:45 PM

I've been cutting fabric, lots of fabric at the local LQS for over a year, I've become accustomed to cutting. So normally, at least before I started there, cutting was always a big deal. Only my hands felt fatigued last night and today I was fine. I did some stretching this morning and that helped to loosen me up. I agree it is a lot of fabric to cut at once.

The bargello measures 62 x 80 without borders, I think I can make it a queen easily. The tumbler I am not sure what the final size will be until I get a chance to lay out the blocks... I am guessing a large lap 50 x 60.

I have a Shape-Cut Ruler but decided not to use it. I find that it can produce inaccurate results and can slip easily. I am left handed so I can not hold it on the left side as suggested because I cut with my left hand. It was great for the Scrappy Trips quilt we did last winter. I will probably cut down my scrap pile with it when I am done with my Christmas projects... It is a great tool and I like it at lot but not for every project.

Bargello quilts by nature use a lot of different fabrics. I had 20 half yard cuts or 10 yards total. After cutting 5 2.5 inch strips from each fabric, it left me with 5.5 inches remaining. The tumbler ruler requires a 4.5 strip. If the fabric is folded, it will cut 10 tumblers each strip, times 20 fabrics that equals 200 tumblers 4.5'' unfinished size.

Before class today the LQS opened early for a bus load of quilter's. I was asked to help for a couple hours this morning so I cut at least 75 yards of fabric this morning... and I wasn't the only one cutting. Those ladies were big spender's, each one buying average of $200-300 per person... and there were 48 people. Plus they had three more shops to visit today. Can you imagine. But they were so nice, very polite and laughed at all my jokes.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Two Quilts Cut - One Night

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

McCall's 6078

photo
by: margy.64

Review
Vogue Patterns 8679

photo
by: MrsCharism...

Review
You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Buy Now
Beginner Sewing Lab 104 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 104  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.