SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Style Arc Sizing ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Style Arc Sizing
Help
Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
MT USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 10/5/13 0:10 AM

I'm trying to decide what size to order. First off, I have sent Them two messages and haven't heard back so I was hoping someone here might have suggestions.

I measure about a size 16 for the majority of measurements. However in multi sized patterns I cut a smaller size in the neck and shoulders, sometimes two sizes because I am so short waisted and narrow shouldered.

I'm wondering if I should order a size smaller, size 14, then grade up for the bust and waist or go with what I measure and shortened the neck and shoulders.

I'm leaning towards the smaller size.

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

Skye
star
Skye  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 10/5/13 1:48 AM

It is unusual to not get a reply butthey are busy at the beginning of the month. I sew 12 shoulders 14 under arm and 16 hips and need to do a FBA. In the big four patterns. S"A I use a 14.

------
Wellington, NZ

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/5/13 1:30 PM

The Stylearc size chart is very helpful. Personally, I like to choose their top, dress and jacket pattern size so that the shoulders and neck fit. I have a lifetime of experience altering from the bust down. (Darnit.) I choose pant and skirt size based on hip measurement, since I can always increase or decrease darts to shape the waist.

-- Edited on 10/5/13 1:32 PM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
MT USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 10/5/13 2:05 PM

Thanks!

------

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

Date: 10/5/13 2:12 PM

For me in the Brenda blouse, i found the fit seems like a size smaller in the shoulders compared to choosing a size based on bust size in big 4.

I liked it!

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 10/5/13 6:55 PM

Style Arc is cut differently than the Big4. When using the Big4 I often have to size down because the neck and shoulders are so big, plus all the excess ease in the styles in general. Style Arc doesn't have this excess ease. Fitted blouses for example generally have 1 to 1.5"of bust ease compared to the 3" or more the Big4 use.

My advice is to forget the Big4 and what you knowing about sizing and go by your m'ments. By this I mean choose the size by your bust, hip and shoulder m'ments. If you are larger than a C-cup substitute your high bust for bust. Then look at how much ease the style has and decide. I find the sizing very true to the m'ments including the shoulder m'ments.

Chloe is very good at answering emails but the first week of the month is particularly busy for her. HTH

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 10/5/13 7:12 PM

You can also look at the finished garment measurements that are listed for Sz 10, and compare those to SA's Size 10 body measurements. That will tell you how much ease is built in to the design.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
MT USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/15/13 11:56 AM

I still haven't ordered anything. At this point, it's kind of on principle. After two messages, and waiting because everyone says they are busy at the beginning of the month, I've still heard nothing.

I'm going to send one more message. I just think they should respond, what's the point of having a "Contact Us" form if they don't respond.

------

Vicsguy
star
Vicsguy
Advanced Beginner
OH USA
Member since 5/17/09
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 10/15/13 12:06 PM

Quote: Kim12469
I still haven't ordered anything. At this point, it's kind of on principle. After two messages, and waiting because everyone says they are busy at the beginning of the month, I've still heard nothing.

I'm going to send one more message. I just think they should respond, what's the point of having a "Contact Us" form if they don't respond.

Maybe you should try the CONTACT ME button instead of the CONTACT US button.
a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 10/15/13 12:19 PM

Edited......OP has read my response.
-- Edited on 10/15/13 11:16 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Style Arc Sizing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Simplicity 2209

photo
by: sarahark

Review
Christine Jonson Cuff Pant

Christine Jonson Cuff Pant

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.