SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Buy tread color chart? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Buy tread color chart?
GooseAkuma
GooseAkuma
Member since 12/12/11
Send Message

Subject: Buy thread color chart? Date: 10/5/13 10:09 AM

Hi. My fiancee is looking into getting into sewing and I have bought her a machine and some spare bobbins. I am thinking of buying Mettler or Isacord threads and I have no idea what colors to start with. I am thinking of starting with some basic colors (like black and white) and I was wondering if it's worth purchasing a color chart so I am better able to determine the colors I want.
-- Edited on 10/5/13 11:47 AM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to GooseAkuma <<

Date: 10/5/13 12:16 PM

You're a keeper!

If you use your computer's search engine for sewing thread charts you may find free charts.

HOWEVER, the colors are not going to be true to the actual spool.

It would be best just to buy the basic neutral colors of black, white, light grey, light tan and navy polyester for sewing; cotton for quilting.

What we do when we purchase thread is match it to the fabric, so the charts are of little use and would not be current as the companies drop and add to the selection.

-- Edited on 10/6/13 11:46 AM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/5/13 3:32 PM

Welcome to PR. Hope you or your fiancee will post here often.

Wawak has a very nice free catalog that arrives monthly which has color charts for each applicable item for sale...even zippers.

As PattiAnnJ posted a chart's colors won't exactly match the product because that's just how it is with printed colors.

Although...using a current catalog will mean that at least the products...and their colors...are current and not outdated...as a separately purchased color chart will eventually become. And...you won't be out the cost of a purchased color chart.

A one time use coupon code for $20 off a $40 order at wawack.com is: THREADS1113. It's good to end of November. NAYY (Not Affiliated with Yadda Yadda) When ordering online the discount does not show up on the online cart's invoice...but is shown on the order confirmation email.

I don't think the coupon code applies to special monthly sale priced items...so may want to be sure if using the coupon code to have $40 worth of regular priced items...BUT even the regular priced items are the lowest I've even seen anywhere.

If you sign up online for a catalog it will arrive quickly. HTH
-- Edited on 10/5/13 3:33 PM --

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/5/13 4:09 PM

Isacord is a machine embroidery thread and is not the best choice for sewing, especially for a beginner. I am quite experienced and would not want to sew with it. But, I use it all the time for machine embroidery.

Mettler makes a good sewing thread, called Metrosene. Instead of buying several spools of various colors, she might be better off with a gift certificate to a store that sells threads. There are so many shades of navy, brown, khaki, red, etc., that you can spend a fair amount of money on threads that might never be used.

Giving her a thread color chart is a great idea, too. Just be sure it is for sewing thread. A "real thread" chart will have good samples of the threads and be very accurate in color representations. They cost a bit, but worth it if thread has to be bought online.
-- Edited on 10/5/13 4:15 PM --

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 10/5/13 6:49 PM

I agree with only buying the basic colors for now... lots of black & white. Throw in some off-white, light grey and navy blue.

Then she'll have to purchase thread that matches the fabric she uses for each project.

I recommend Gutermann thread personally. It's good quality, not too expensive, can get anywhere and I've never had a problem with it.

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

dmitch1966
star
dmitch1966  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Michigan USA
Member since 10/27/04
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 2:34 AM

Many times my local Joann Fabrics has thread gift sets with a variety of colors, when I was first getting started I purchased some of those and then I at least had something to work with while being able to see what brands I preferred. Just stay away from the cheap thread, it's more headaches than it's worth and will definitely cause stress which I never recommend for a beginner.

I prefer Coats & Clark for regular sewing thread and Maderia for machine embroidery. You might want to take a trip to your local fabric store (whatever you have close by Fabric Mart, Joann's, etc) and talk to the staff there about what they have available and what particular likes and/or dislikes your wife's model of sewing machine may have as some machines are rather picky about what thread they will play nice with. Good luck!!

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 3:04 AM

To dmitch1966...that is a great idea about a thread set for a gift...that would have a good wow impact looking very pretty with all the colors...and would be useful too.

To GooseAkuma...to go along with dmitch1966's suggestion of a thread set...click here:
Coats Dual Duty Asssorted Color 50 Spool Pack

Thread sets are smaller size spools...125 yards of thread on each spool...but it's a good way to sample lots of colors. Wawak's price is really $30.50 less than for instance JoAnn Fabrics online price. Really!

Edited to add: And...hey...there's that one time use discount code too...with the thread set you would almost be at the $40 minimum order amount to use that code...maybe see something else (at wawak's regular low prices...not their special sale prices) to fill in another $2.01...

Since you already got your fiancee extra bobbins check this for $2.89 (at JoAnn Fabrics online & in-store it's $7.99):Bobbin Box with foam insert
I have the same bobbin box...the foam keeps the bobbins from rolling and tangling the threads...and they don't fall out but are easy to pull out.
-- Edited on 10/6/13 3:37 AM --

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/6/13 5:04 AM

I would look into both of your closets for the colors you wear. Lots of times I do mending or alterations on RTW (ready to wear/store bought) and usually my basics are a neutral tan, blue, green and black and grey. Some purple. When I was younger lots of red. Whatever colors you find in her home and closets are
probably the same colors she will want in new fabrics.

So to start her out get spools in her preferred colors and shades. I also like Metrosene for a sturdy polyester construction thread. Many like Gutterman polyestester. Construction threads are used to make and repair garments and crafts. I also have some silk and heavy & light weight cotton construction threads for specific fabric construction- but the mainstay is polyester.

Embellishing threads are a different ball game - they are for embroidery and character and personalizing the already constructed item. The threads may be very fine and soft or sparkly or very thick and colors may be on the wild side. They can be metallic, nylon, rayon, cotton, poly- nearly anything. Those are usually purchased over time for a specific item or idea.

While it is true that buying fabric and thread at the same time is helpful- once you build up your basic poly and cotton thread stash it is not always necessary. Most times I can find the color I need at home that I was able to get on sale or in bulk. Don't forget storage! Many options there to consider as well.
-- Edited on 10/6/13 5:17 AM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 5:31 AM

I got to thinking about your mention of Isacord. I did purchase their thread color chart when I got my embroidery machine- and 2 containers filled with Isacord thread.
It was explained that when I bought my embroidery designs, I would get a thread file of suggested colors which I could then match against the thread chart to select the right thread. I had another thread chart for Maderia and another boxed set of Maderaia threads.

I think every main embroidery thread company has these thread charts - of real actual thread, not printed colors. Each has a number that tells you what spool to buy so that your embroidery design will stitch out to look like what you purchased.

But for construction of an item you eyeball the color with your fabric- you don't match a color to a chart. Plus you can get way with white, cream, black, navy, brown or grey because it is hidden in the seam and in areas that dont show.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

GooseAkuma
GooseAkuma
Member since 12/12/11
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 10:47 AM

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I have a question about Mettler Metrosene plus. I was looking at it earlier when I came across Isacord. I was told that they were the exact same threads is it not true? Is the Isacord purely an embroidery thread and Metrosene a better option for sewing?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Buy tread color chart?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Simplicity 2443

photo
by: jxncait

Review
Simplicity 9438 OOP

photo
by: highCsopra...

Review
Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.