SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > sewing cabinet, cutting table and more ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
sewing cabinet, cutting table and more
looking for info, suggestions, ideas and help
josiemae
josiemae
Beginner
USA
Member since 10/5/13
Send Message

Date: 10/5/13 5:58 PM

Hi all I just joined and am hoping to get some good suggestions, help and ideas from you all.
I have been sewing off and on since I was a kid. My mom sewed all the time .
I picked up some things and took class in high school too.
Anyway I am hoping to get back into sewing again.

I just bought an older sewing cabinet after searching around for quiet sometime. I'll include a few pictures so you all can see what I am talking about.
The photos are not actually the one I bought but exactly like it but a little different in coloring and actually needs to be cleaned up as I stated. But just to give you an idea of what I am working with.

And I purchased some Klegs in hopes of making a nice cutting/ironing board table out of them.
I think I might even paint them a bright color to go with my room I am redoing.

Anyway I got this cabinet cause it looked as if it was pretty close to being centered or I could at least center myself around it fairly easy.
I plan to use an adjustable chair to take care of the height adjustments in that area so I think I pretty much have my ground covered.
Hubby is going to cut the opening to fit an insert I am going to order from Dreamworld.

I have to get one with a lip I am pretty sure so was hoping to get some input on how well these work.

My second issue is he can move it back some or forward some so was hoping to find out how far away should you be from the needle for a good sewing position? Just some general guide lines here would be Appreciated.

If anyone has already redone an older cabinet I'd Absolutely LOVE to hear from you and what you did, learned etc while doing it. Pictures too!

I was originally going to clean and paint the cabinet but have since thought I might try to strip off all the old wax build up that it looks to have on it with some mineral spirits or something and just find a stain to match to put on the few little spots that have chips in the veneer. The overall shape of the piece is very good and in decent condition so I thinking it would be nice to try to preserve it if possible. So going to give it a try and if all else fails I can always paint it!

Okay next questions about cutting table/ironing board area.
Whats a good height for these to be?
Since the klegs are adjustable I thought this would be a good option in this area.

What size is a good size for a cutting table? Length/width?

Do any of you see anything wrong with making a dual purpose cutting/ironing table?

I have looked at the Big Boards and saw some diy ones also and thought heck I could combine that with a cutting table and save money and space.
But I am not real knowledgeable in this area so would Really Appreciate your thoughts , ideas and suggests on this too.

I am planning on making new curtains in each room as we go through and redo them so would be really nice I think to have a nice big table to iron and cut on.
After that I will be sewing clothes etc.

I am excited and looking forward to get started on this project. We will be redoing entire room along with cabinet and table even hoping to get some new windows put in. So its very excited but have a ton of work to do so would Appreciate any thoughts, ideas, suggestions etc on the sewing cabinet, cutting table/ironing board aspect of our redo.

Also if anyone has pictures of what or how they did their redo would Love to see them.
Thanks so much and look forward to your replies.
jm

-- Edited on 10/5/13 6:19 PM --

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 10/5/13 7:33 PM

welcome!

in the "photos of your sewing space" thread, there are many photos of wonderful sewing rooms. Also, search for "sewing room" images and you'll find thousands of rooms.

I've redone an old sewing cabinet, but have not yet photographed the results, I'm still trying to get enough sewing done with it to know if it will work for me. I know of one change I need to make, but I'm still thinking on how to accomplish it. As for cutting table, I use a foldout one from Joann, and it's 36" tall, which is good for me. I'm considering getting or making an ironing surface for it. Sometimes that traditional ironing board just takes up too much space.

Don't underestimate the amount of light or outlets you think you need. And even though it's tempting to put shelving on as many walls as you can, leave some open areas for art or an inspiration board, or simply breathing room.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to josiemae <<

Date: 10/5/13 8:36 PM

Welcome! How great that you are setting up a sewing room! Some of the answers to the your questions depends on your comfort level. I like my machine fairly close to the edge of the desk/table I am using and maybe only a few inches from the edge. I don't want to be bending over the desk to reach my machine. I am tall so I like a taller cutting table. Before my recent move, I was using 2 Ikea Expedit bookcases with a table across the top. This gave me a nice wide space-it could have been a little taller for me (I am almost 6' tall). Since I needed something more portable where I am living now I bought a Sullivan's Hobby Table which is counter height. Counter height is good for cutting and ironing on. There are alot of pictures on here-look at the sewing spaces thread for more ideas. Some people have been very creative.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/5/13 9:35 PM

Hi, there!

My mom is a professional antique furniture refinisher, and she swears by a product called Restore-A-Finish for projects like this--things that need a little cleaning, TLC, and touching up, but NOT a whole stripping & refinishing job.

It's a one-step product you apply with steel wool or cheesecloth. I haven't done it myself (yet; she keeps nagging me!), but it's one of her absolute favorite products. Lots of info in the link. :)

Good luck!

------
~Gem in the prairie

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 10/5/13 9:44 PM

I am also on the taller side, but I don't think that matters. You want something that is nearly waist level for cutting & ironing, that way you're not bending over it too much. As for sewing machine, mine is VERY close to the edge of the table, maybe 2-3" away at most.

There are a lot of creative solutions on this board and on the internet in general. Do some surfing and see what you find.

IF you have the space, I would recommend a separate ironing & cutting space, simply because them you have more options of where to put things. I think a top used for ironing needs a little softness to it while you need a nice, hard surface for cutting, so I'm not sure how those would work together??

Good luck and welcome!!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 0:55 AM

I also have my machine very close to the edge of my table, so I can see what I'm doing. My sewing table is long enough to accommodate the sm and the serger. My secondary sm is stored in the closet. My cutting table is 35 inches high to avoid back strain, plus folds up and stores in the closet of the office across the hall. I use a cardboard foldable grid on top of the cutting table. My sewing room is only 10' X 10' and is shared with a guest bed, but the guest bed actually comes in handy with a cardboard grid on top of it. I can pivot from my sm and serger to the bed for pinning and reading instructions, then back to the machines quickly. The ironing board is set up at the end of the bed. If company comes, everything fits into the closet. I wish I could fit it all into one dedicated room, but no way can I do that in this home. Still, it is my sanctuary and I am happy to have it! Here are some pics:
Cutting table in office

Sewing room in progress

Back to guest room

Have a blast decorating your sewing space!
-- Edited on 10/6/13 0:58 AM -- Can't forget Dumb Debbie in the corner!
-- Edited on 10/6/13 1:07 AM --

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 9:45 AM

I think you should sew for a while without the insert. See if you like it close or far or at an angle. See if your foot pedal height is comfortable. Se if you really want it centered or if you tend to use one side more for workspace or item.
Make a good cloth cover for now- even with the insert it is nice to keep it covered. Use it for about 6 mo before you cut it out for the insert.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Diane333
Diane333  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 7/16/08
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 11:09 AM

I like a cutting table that is larger than the one I currently have which is the size of my 36 inch x 72 inch cutting mat. Then there would be room to set rotary cutters, pins, marking pens, tablets etc.

tinflutterby
tinflutterby  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/9/11
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 3:05 PM

I have a door I have covered with batting and twill on one side and a cutting mat on the other. It is light enough that I can flip it to the side I need easily. Right now it is on tall saw horses (38") but I hope to build a cabinet to support it and also store most of the stuff I generally use from interfacing to cutting tools. My current plan is a rolling stand like my hairdresser use for the tools I need but don't want cluttering up the table.

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

In reply to josiemae <<

Date: 10/6/13 8:26 PM

Quote: josiemae
Okay next questions about cutting table/ironing board area. Whats a good height for these to be? What size is a good size for a cutting table? Length/width?

Do any of you see anything wrong with making a dual purpose cutting/ironing table

But I am not real knowledgeable in this area so would Really Appreciate your thoughts , ideas and suggests on this too.

Hi Josiemae & welcome!
My sewing room is small, so I have a dual purpose cutting/pressing table that DH & I made. It's 32" x 72" and 36" high (I'm 5'6", so the height is perfect for me). For the top we used 1" thick plywood & covered it with a wool blanket. I then made a top cover from twill - that can be removed for washing. It's nice to be able to press large pieces of fabric & I can lay my cutting mat on it when I want to rotary cut. My table is great & I absolutely love it.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> sewing cabinet, cutting table and more

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Fit For Art Eureka! Pants that Fit Pattern

Fit For Art Eureka! Pants that Fit Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern

J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 3673

photo
by: lauramae

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.