SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > White sewing machine model 656 ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
White sewing machine model 656
Can anyone help?
Laryno6
Laryno6
Beginner
Member since 10/5/13
Send Message

Date: 10/5/13 11:20 PM

Well, after 2 hours of internet search im hoping someone here knows how to help me! I bought a White sewing machine today from a thrift store model # 656 and if you think the instruction manual came with it your wrong. I have never tried using a sewing machine before. Ive tried to teach myself using hundreds of youtube videos and a very sketchy online user guide but so far I don't think I speak the language. If I plug the machine in it automatically starts going. No on/off switch? Ive read not to let the needle go without fabric underneath it but I cant seem to get the machine to turn off. Whoever had the machine before me took very good care of it. It came with lots of extra needles and bobbins and what not. Can anyone help?! Id really like to start sewing my own things! Thank you!!

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to Laryno6 <<

Date: 10/6/13 0:27 AM

threading White 656

Hope this helps a little.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Mittee birthday 10/5/2009, The Baby 11/2/2000

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..almost 3 months & counting ...

Home to Hello Kitty Kate, Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore

Laryno6
Laryno6
Beginner
Member since 10/5/13
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 0:46 AM

ok Ive figured out how to thread the machine(I think) and when I start the machine it starts to stitch but then after about a inch the top string cuts and I have to re thread it to start it working for another inch. anyone know what im doing wrong? please please I feel like im so close!

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to Laryno6 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/6/13 4:52 AM

Quote: Laryno6
ok Ive figured out how to thread the machine(I think) and when I start the machine it starts to stitch but then after about a inch the top string cuts and I have to re thread it to start it working for another inch. anyone know what im doing wrong? please please I feel like im so close!

Did you find an off/on button?

If it's only stitching one inch at a time...and has to be rethreaded to stitch another inch...then please re-check how you are threading the machine using the guide that was posted by tgm and kittys. Be sure to put the presser foot UP before threading the upper thread...that is very very important. After the upper thread path is done and before the needle eye is threaded...do this test: with the presser foot up...pull on the thread...it should pull easily...then put the presser foot down...pull on the thread and it should resist being pulled.
Added a link to video at the end of this thread...it's not your sewing machine but the info is still applicable.

Check the needle to see if it's facing the correct direction...the round side should face you and the flat side should face towards the back...thread the needle from front to back...and make sure the thread is not twisted around the tip of the needle eye. Check how you have threaded the bobbin case and make sure the bobbin is unwinding clockwise.

What condition is the thread that is wound on the bobbin...is it evenly smooth and firm? Also...are you certain the correct bobbin is being used? It should be a metal bobbin with 10 holes on each side...not eight holes...10 holes.

Make sure the thread using to sew with is not too thick for the eye of the needle being used. What size is the needle...and is it a brand new one?

If those suggestions don't help...this sewing machine being from a thrift store it's probably 100% certain that it has some kind of problem that will require a sewing machine repair person to fix it which basically can be expensive...sorry to say.

Link to video: Upper thread test...and other help

-- Edited on 10/6/13 5:29 AM --
Laryno6
Laryno6
Beginner
Member since 10/5/13
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 4:56 PM

Thank you! I finally threaded it the right way. I still have not found a on off switch but I read that some do not have one. That as soon as you plug it in it is on. However my needle starts moving immediately and pressing my foot pedal doesn't seem to do anything. When I'm done with a line I have to quickly unplug it. I'm sure that's not exactly how I'm suppose to do it. How do I stop my needle so I can change the position of the fabric. Also I have to push my fabric threw. Not just guide it. If I stop pushing it stops moving but the needle still continues to go. Thank you for all the advise!

Laryno6
Laryno6
Beginner
Member since 10/5/13
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 5:13 PM

Well I found the feed dogs switch and now it is grabbing my fabric and pulling it threw successfully but I still have to plug it in and unplug it when I want it to stop stitching.

aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 5:27 PM

Could it be that the foot pedal is somehow stuck 'on'?

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Laryno6 <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/6/13 7:05 PM

If you have to plug and unplug from the wall to even make it stop stitching all by it's self like a run-away-train, something is very wrong with it and no point in even trying to learn to sew on it that way at all. No one can sew or learn to sew that way. Also when you sew off your fabric since you can't stop it when you want to, you will just get a huge thread tangle and maybe break needles then too. Plus makes it way too easy to by accident to just sew though your fingers. Plus only one speed then probably too- run away freight train speed

As you found out, #1 rule at the Thrift stores on sewing machines, is really always plug them in and test sew on them there, and actually see if they work somewhat right first! You might be able to bring it back with receipt and trade for something else if you wanted to. Some places let you do that.

You can go over to the Singer sewing machine website, and look for and print it's instruction manual if you want, if you use W656 for the owners instruction manual search. But that is not going to solve your more electrical kind of sewing problem. It probably at least needs a new cord, but a few things could make that happen. If it's happening because some bare wires are touching each other that should not, you might even want to know if those are about to touch the metal of the machine, that you might be touching too. I think I would. So I don't get why you are even still trying to sew on it that not very optimal way actually.

But you really do have to be able to start and stop it under your control first, in order to even learn how to sew some garment with it. I think that should be your priority.

-- Edited on 10/6/13 7:16 PM --
-- Edited on 10/6/13 7:47 PM --

Engrmom1
Engrmom1  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/3/12
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 8:25 PM

Since the machine has a foot pedal, but starts sewing as soon as it's plugged in, my guess is that the switch inside the foot pedal is stuck in the on position. This is likely a simple contact switch. Are you, or do you know someone who is, fairly handy with mechanical/electrical things? If so, you/they may be able to disassemble the foot pedal and get the switch to work properly.

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to Laryno6 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/6/13 9:02 PM

Quote: Laryno6
...When I'm done with a line I have to quickly unplug it. I'm sure that's not exactly how I'm suppose to do it. How do I stop my needle so I can change the position of the fabric.

You can not safely sew with a sewing machine which is functioning like this one. I agree with beauturbo's post completely. This sewing machine is like a dangerous run-a-way train. You could be severely injured by this sewing machine in so many ways. Please no longer sew with it.

It may need a completely new foot pedal with new electrical cords. If those could be found that are compatible with this model sewing machine the cost would be about $40.

If you are going to examine or attempt a repair yourself on the foot pedal and/or the electrical cords..be sure everything is UNPLUGGED from the machine AND the electrical outlet...UNplugged please.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> White sewing machine model 656

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2012-107

photo
by: Sweetheart...

Review
Sewing Workshop Icon Shirt

Sewing Workshop Icon Shirt

More Info
Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Petite Plus 504 Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.