SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Am I crazy to buy my original Machine again??? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Am I crazy to buy my original Machine again???
Doctor Sister

Doctor Sister  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 11/5/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/6/13 9:23 AM

I'm thinking of doing something and just want to check my sanity. My first machine was a Singer 457 - it was graduation gift from my parents. So it was a long time ago. I sewed on that thing for years without problems but bought a new machine in the 80's and gave my old Singer to the church quilting group.
I'm happy with my current machine except for one thing - buttonholes. I still have the Geist buttonholer that worked with my old Singer. I googled them recently and can get one off Ebay for <200 dollars including shipping.
I loved that machine and kind of want it back. So the question is - am I nuts?
Sis
PS: They gave my sister-in-law the identical machine and she still has hers. I don't think she uses it much if at all. ?Maybe she'd like to sell?????
I'm so torn and undecided. Please let me know if I"m crazy.

KathySews
star
KathySews
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 10:03 AM

If you miss it, buy it. You are not crazy. It could be your buttonhole machine. I think it would be kind of cool to have your original machine if not THE original. I kick myself for donating my old Singer machine back when I did not sew.

And definitely talk to your cousin. She might be happy to pass hers on

B

B
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 12/5/03
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 10:15 AM

I would look for one but not necessarily buy at that price or risk shipping, except for sentimental reasons. I agree to check with your sister, and also see if the church has your old one tucked away rather than being used or maybe you could offer a trade. I admit to offering and later buying my grandma's treadle that I made many garments with at a price that was way more than it was worth to anyone else. Maybe start a Wanted: XXX sewing machine on a message here (if permitted).
I see there are some cheaper ones on Ebay. Maybe risk <$100 if you can't find one locally?
-- Edited on 10/6/13 10:16 AM --
-- Edited on 10/6/13 11:14 AM --

------
Janome serger 634D, Brother PC6000, Singer 500A, Kenmore Mini-Ultra, vintage Bernina 600, White Rotary treadle, New Homestead A VS treadle

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Doctor Sister <<

Date: 10/6/13 10:22 AM

No I don't think you are crazy at all. I have a 1980 Kenmore that I bought new; it was my first big purchase. I don't sew on it much now but I would never part with it. I would try to see if the church still had your old machine or try to buy the one from your sister-in-law. If you explain your love for the machine maybe she would give it to you or loan it to you until you can find one. I would try that route before buying one off Ebay. Hope you find one!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 11:19 AM

I did, sorta. I was looking for a cabinet to repurpose for a modern machine and got an almost identical model that I had given to Goodwill several years ago.

Kept the machine and cabinet as is and found another table/cabinet for the repurpose project.

Go for it. Your sister may even gift the machine to you.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/6/13 1:47 PM

Why not ask your SIL if you can have a play date with the machine? Make sure the flame is still alive for your remembered passion before you invest.

I gifted my cherished Rocketeer to a family member. Part of me wishes I still had it; it was in mint condition. Another part of me realizes that it just isn't practical - space, time, everything - to keep all of the old and venture into the new. Regardless, I understand the yearning.

The Rocketeer was a chance acquisition. Now, my long cherished Pfaff 1229 is another thing entirely. Besides being a stellar performer it is thoroughly woven into our family history - it grew up with us. Thank goodness it performs so beautifully, I'd hate to have a big sentimental doorstop. Of course, if it hadn't been performing beautifully all of these years it would not have woven itself into our family history. I get it - about your Singer 457. Hope you have one with you soon.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 10/6/13 2:06 PM

Nah.

Steal it from your sister. Since she doesn't use it, she won't miss it for a long time. hahahaha

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 2:49 PM

I don't think you are crazy. My back-up machine for my Kenmore 19606 is a Kenmore 19606.

Of course, I could be crazy...

------
Barb

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 10/6/13 3:15 PM

Not crazy at all. I think my first machine may have been a 457, looks very similar, except I remember my machine as being pale blue, not just the case but the machine also. I learned on that and my grandmother's Touch N Sew, which I wasn't allowed to use unsupervised. The 457 stayed at mom's when I moved out, and I bought a Singer 9410, which was not comparable.

I'd buy one, just out of nostalgia. :)

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

thumbsup 13 members like this.

Date: 10/6/13 3:25 PM

I do not think you are crazy at all ... however-

I had this memory of how great my old Viking was. It was under the table for months and I got it back out in a time of extreme frustration --- it was not all I remembered it to be. Maybe get your feet dipped in the water by asking to take the other machine for a memory drive. I hope its everything you remember - but, it might not be.

Ever see an ex on the street and think -- what was I thinking?

------
Quilting up a storm!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Am I crazy to buy my original Machine again???

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Vogue Patterns 1300

photo
by: Westy85

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2013-127

photo
by: pdiddly

Review
Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.