SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Burda classics FW 2013/2014 ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Burda classics FW 2013/2014
RoseFromThule
star
RoseFromThule
Advanced Beginner
FRANCE
Member since 3/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/7/13 4:35 AM

A new Burda Classics is out, at least in France.

Pictures can be found at Wild Hibiscus's blog : here

Honestly, I had a look at it this week-end and found it disappointing, but ymmv.

------
Meet me at : prettycrocodile.blogspot.com

microbios

microbios  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 2/15/09
Send Message

Date: 10/7/13 10:09 AM

I ordered from GLP News a couple of months ago and received it in the mail this past Saturday. Although I love quite a few of the clothes, I was really disappointed with the number of repeats. Ignoring the different variations/versions of each pattern, there are only 14 core patterns.

I will say that Burdastyle REALLY loves Jacket 0007 with the large detachable fake fur collar, as it appeared in 3 pages! I am considering making the jacket minus fur, and would have preferred to see 1 version without.

Curious why neither of the 2 trouser patterns -- shown in 11 photos and some made with wool -- include instructions for linings. I'm still a complete beginner with pants and am not confident enough to attempt a pattern without instructions for adding a lining.

RoseFromThule
star
RoseFromThule
Advanced Beginner
FRANCE
Member since 3/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/7/13 11:08 AM

It may be a European thing - I must say that I've NEVER seen lined pants around here and, althouhg I now know it exists, the idea still baffles me (it must be awfully uncomfortable ???)

------
Meet me at : prettycrocodile.blogspot.com

IreneDAdler
star
IreneDAdler
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 6/12/12
Send Message

Date: 10/7/13 11:14 AM

I really like this coat:

The version made up in pinstripes is really cute too:

Nothing terribly ground-breaking, based on the pictures posted, and sewists with a healthy-sized library probably won't need most of these patterns, but for someone just starting out there are lots of good basics. I'mma head to the international magazines store in the garment district to see if they have any copies.

------
Visit my little corner of the sew-o-sphere: http://yousewlikeagirl.blogspot.com/

peaudane
peaudane
Intermediate
FRANCE
Member since 12/30/07
Send Message

Date: 10/7/13 11:20 AM

Thanks for posting!
This confirms the impression I had with the first issue of Burda Classics that it is intended for women of a certain age who don't feel comfortable with the more fashion forward looks in the regular magazine. These are most of the ladies I see at the haberdashery. They don't mind that a style looks a little dated. However, I feel that Burda should have made an effort to give us updated classics rather than dowdy.

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

Date: 10/7/13 3:08 PM

Thanks for posting this. It is a great treat to see it. I have several years worth of Burda plus several orphan copies that I might have all these patterns. However, I still want to see what they are offering

------
Kemish

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to RoseFromThule <<

Date: 10/7/13 3:56 PM

I'm interested in the handbag in pic 5. Does anyone know who it is?

mrspie
mrspie
Advanced
Member since 9/29/12
Send Message

In reply to RoseFromThule <<
thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 10/7/13 10:15 PM

Quote: RoseFromThule
It may be a European thing - I must say that I've NEVER seen lined pants around here and, althouhg I now know it exists, the idea still baffles me (it must be awfully uncomfortable ???)

Lined pants are very comfortable, especially when the pants are a heavy scratchy wool; you line them with a nice luxurious lining and they become very wearable. They're also nice for light fabrics, because the lining keeps your underwear from showing through, either in colour or shape. And in places where it gets very cold, nothing beats a pair of flannel-lined jeans.

As for technique, the easy cheater way to get started is to just do an underlining and cover your seam allowances with bias tape.
sugarduck
star
sugarduck
Intermediate
FRANCE
Member since 2/7/10
Send Message

In reply to PattyE <<

Date: 10/8/13 3:02 AM

The small print in the photo says that the bag is by Longchamp.

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/8/13 10:11 AM

Don't know about fashion forward, but it was a good: nvestment since I wanted a skirt exactly like one of them and one of the knit blouses.

There's about 4 things I will make for staples so it is ok for me.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Burda classics FW 2013/2014

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Favorite Things The Lunch Bag Pattern

Favorite Things The Lunch Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Siena & Cortona Shirts

Sewing Workshop Siena & Cortona Shirts

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.