SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > is this a overcasting foot? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
is this a overcasting foot?
tabathavm
tabathavm
Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/3/13
Send Message

Date: 10/7/13 6:25 PM

I am wanting to get a overcastig foot for my singer 600. I found this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181230369979 but it doent
look like the other overcasting feet I've seen.

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/7/13 6:49 PM

It looks more like an edge-stitching or "stitch in the ditch" foot to me.

Blog post about how to use this sort of foot: Edgestitch Foot
-- Edited on 10/7/13 6:50 PM --

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 10/7/13 6:53 PM

Here's the patent engraved on the foot

Overcasting foot attachment for sewing machines which shows a foot design very close to that item.

Note that it's an "overcasting" foot, not an "overlock" foot.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to tabathavm <<

Date: 10/7/13 7:03 PM

It looks the way it does because it's an older foot and for slant shank ...just as your Singer is older and slant shank.

Edited to add: Is your sewing machine a Singer Touch & Sew Deluxe 600? If that is it...the singerco.com online manual on page 30 shows using the general purpose zig zag foot and the blind hem stitch to "over-edge" raw edges. Do you have a manual for your sewing machine?

Even if an "overcasting" foot is used...the sewing machine can only make what stitches it has....so this model does not have the stitches used for overcasting or edge finishing that are on other sewing machines. It was a popular and novel sewing machine in its time but does not have the stitches typically used today for "overcasting".

Using a plain zig zag stitch would be an edge finish too and could probably use the overcast foot because it has an edge guide and that middle piece to give slack in the stitching...just make sure the zig zag is wide enough for the needle to not hit it.

There are other places to order a new but old style slant shank overcast foot. Link is below this paragraph with lowest price on this foot I could find. I have ordered from this site before and item shipped and arrived in a few days...but I forget how much shipping was...not excessive as I recall.
Slant Shank Overcast Foot

sew-classic.com does not show one on her web-site...but if you email her she will reply in one business day...and her prices and shipping are very low.

-- Edited on 10/7/13 8:14 PM --

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 10/7/13 7:25 PM

In the photos, I can see a "finger" in the stitch opening. The overcast or zig-zag stitches form over this finger, so I'd say it's an overcast foot.

Generally speaking, an edge stitching foot is very similar, but it does not have the stitch-forming finger in the stitch opening.

CMC

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 10/7/13 7:44 PM

I have one of these feet and I use it for overcasting with my 626. The tip of the zigzag should just reach the bar that goes down the middle of the foot.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

In reply to tabathavm <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/8/13 0:47 AM

This is what I know as an overcasting foot. It has a very flat right side to press down the edge as it overcasts, and has the stitch finger. It works impressively well, and occasionally with certain fabrics or in a small curved area, I prefer it over my serger.

Overcasting Foot

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

tabathavm
tabathavm
Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/3/13
Send Message

Date: 10/8/13 3:29 AM

Yup its a touch and sew. I do have a manual..ill pull it out and take a look in the morning. So if there are nno set overcast stitches...just use zigzag? Does that go over the edge?

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to tabathavm <<

Date: 10/8/13 3:40 AM

Yes use the zig zag and have it just barely go over the edge.

Link to video showing using plain J foot and plain zig zag for overcasting...even though he has a computerized sewing machine which has many more stitch choices...and probably even an "over-cast" foot...but uses plain zig zag and general purpose foot J. Overcast with Zig Zag and J Foot

Here is another video using all purpose (general) presser foot and regular zig zag stitch. Faking a Serge (as named in this video)

-- Edited on 10/8/13 5:38 PM --

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 10/8/13 12:43 PM

How interesting! I had no idea that there was so much variety in the feet. The foot for my Viking (which DOES have the overcast stitch) looks similar to what SewLibra posted, except that it doesn't have the additional wide right toe--just the flat left toe to hold down the fabric, and the little finger to wrap the stitches around.

I also use my overcast stitch a lot, because it's so much more convenient than getting out my serger. That said, I have successfully overcast WITHOUT the foot. My favorite foot for general sewing is the transparent All-Purpose one, and I've found that my machine will make the overcast stitch just fine using that!

...All of that to say, if you can't manage to find a foot that fits your machine, with a little practice and experimentation with the stitches and feet you have, you should be able to come up with a nice edge-finishing stitch. :)

------
~Gem in the prairie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> is this a overcasting foot?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

New Look 6697

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Stretch & Sew 313

photo
by: DesignsByD...

Review
Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

More Info
Christine Jonson BaseWear Two - Straight Skirt, Taper Skirt, & Top with Options

Christine Jonson BaseWear Two - Straight Skirt, Taper Skirt, & Top with Options

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.