SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Invisible Zipper ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Invisible Zipper
pieraci2
star
pieraci2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/09
Send Message

Date: 10/8/13 12:00 PM

Could someone please help me? I have been brushing up my skills and techniques, starting with such things as zippers, pockets, etc. I am attempting to put in an invisible zipper. I follow the directions carefully and consistently end up with the zipper in backwards! Cam anyone direct me to a good video that I could follow? I place my zipper right side down on the right side of the fabric, i iron out the coils, and it turns out that the zipper ends up on the wrong side of the garment. The crazy thing is...is that I put them in before and just forgot how to, again. No matter what I do, it always comes out with the zipper facing the inside of the garment. Right side to right side? Right?[QUOTE]The ultimate choice for a man in as much as he is given to transcend himself is to create or destroy. to love or to have...Eric Fromm

------
Paula

Vicsguy
star
Vicsguy
Advanced Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 5/17/09
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/8/13 12:05 PM

I learned a simple trick. Right to right, raw to raw.

Basically, you line up the right sides of the zipper tape with the right side of the fabric and match the raw(cut edge of fabric) to raw(outside edge of zipper tape).

jewelsfashions

jewelsfashions
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/06
Send Message

In reply to pieraci2 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/8/13 12:09 PM

I just searched on you tube invisible zipper and got a lot of videos. You may want to check that out. You tube is great for a lot of things. Sometimes crazy things you would never guess would be on there. Good luck.

Forgot to say there was one video where the lady speaks about sewing a basting stitch at the 5/8 inch mark for lining up the zipper to. Why I haven't done that before I don't know. Seems so easy instead of marking with a chalk pencil that fades. Can't remember which one that was now.

Definitely helps "seeing" it in video.
-- Edited on 10/8/13 12:16 PM --

bakertoo
star
bakertoo
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 12/26/08
Send Message

In reply to Vicsguy <<

Date: 10/8/13 12:11 PM

That's a handy thing to remember, because it is so visual. I need that for sewing! Even though I have put in a few invisible zippers, I still have to look at my favorite article in Threads magazine, and stand and stare and visualize it! I don't know why, but maybe it just seems so counter intuitive the way an invisible zipper goes into a garment.
Anyway, thanks for the right to right, raw to raw. I might have to write that on a card and post it on my wall in my sewing room!

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/8/13 12:16 PM

It is usually that little "flip" at the very bottom of the zipper that will trick you up. Because of the way you sew it, you may have to tuck around the bottom portion of the zipper to the proper side.
Try to baste one in first by hand to figure out what is going on.

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

jewelsfashions

jewelsfashions
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/06
Send Message

In reply to ConnieBJ <<

Date: 10/8/13 12:27 PM

So true about the little flip at the bottom. I forgot about that.

dmh1
star
dmh1
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/8/13 12:37 PM

I used the Colette tutorial when I was trying to wrap my head around invisible zips.

Colette Invisible Zip tutorial

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/8/13 12:47 PM

The flip is definitely the tricky part. Also, I read at some point NOT to sew the seam before inserting an invisible zip. This helped me tremendously. I sew the zipper with two "loose" pieces of fabric and for whatever reason, it goes in easier.

Good luck!

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

pieraci2
star
pieraci2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/09
Send Message

Date: 10/8/13 2:07 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I will visit what you suggested....thanks again.
Paula

------
Paula

aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

Date: 10/8/13 2:41 PM

I'm glad you got such help pieraci2 but now I have a puzzlement... what's the 'flip' at the bottom that's mentioned???
I've put in a few invisibles (usually while watching or reading a tutorial) but I can't see this flip in my memory of doing them
-- Edited on 10/8/13 2:42 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Invisible Zipper

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Burda 7587

photo
by: junethstar

Review
Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.