SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Help me choose a washing machine ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help me choose a washing machine
Have you bought a new one recently?
homewerk
star
homewerk  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CO USA
Member since 10/2/07
Send Message

Date: 10/8/13 11:36 PM

I'm moving next week, 1600 miles, and need to select a washer and dryer for my new house. I know I want a top loader, high efficiency machine. Can anyone share their experience with the new ones that don't have an agitator? I like the space in the tub but wonder how well it can move the load around to get clothes clean.

There's only two of us but I like to be able to wash king size comforters so I want at least a 3.5 cf tub. Are there bells and whistles you bought but now know you could do without? Any feature you really regret not getting?

This is as hard a deciding on a new sewing machine...

------
Becky (I'm homewerk on Pinterest too!)
Babylock Elizabeth, Pfaff 2030, Brother 1034D Serger, Babylock Coverstitch, Grandmother's 1931 Singer 15-91, 1956, Singer Slant-O-Matic 401A, 1954 Elna Supermatic, pink Atlas Supermatic, bernina 730
I love my toys!

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

In reply to homewerk <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/9/13 2:10 AM

My washer brand/model is several years old,I bought my dryer in 1975,I can't recommend a new washer/dryer brand/model.If you want to wash king size comforters,a front loader is better,I heard the other day.New FL and TL washer and dryer brand/model ratings are listed in Consumer Reports magazine August 2013 issue on pages 44-45.You may find the magazine at your local library,if you don't have a magazine or online subscription.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to homewerk <<

Date: 10/9/13 7:21 AM

I have a Maytag Atlantis which I've been running well water (as in HARD) through for the last 12 years. Never been a problem. However, when I looked at the reviews, it was a nasty machine--go figure. I got mine due to a move-in (it was in the house and five months old), and had to get rid of my FL Kenmore.

I have a friend, an Internet junkie, who bought a Samsung after much, much research. And within 3 months, it was gone.

I've heard that the non-agitator ones are the most problematic as trying to get them balanced is a bear.

I wish I could help more, but as you can see, the reviews are varied and I've not been very helpful.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/9/13 7:33 AM

I'm not certain why you specify a top-loading machine. I have a front-loader. There are disadvantages (namely, after the load has started you can't add that sock that fell on the floor). But this is my second front loader, and I really like it. (Ive had it maybe a year and a half.)

It is an LG steam model. That steam feature is a huge benefit for getting cotton fabrics clean. I would never have thought it, but it works. It also has a 'bulky item' setting.

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to homewerk <<

Date: 10/9/13 8:37 AM

My last machine is a maytag front loader. It saves so much water - my little itty bit to try to save the world's resources. You do have to be careful to leave door open when not in use so as not to get mold. I do think it cleans better than my previous top loader.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/9/13 8:58 AM

Our Fisher Pakel high efficiency top loader died this week. This would have been our 5th repair or replacement of the computer/display. 1 service call to pull a penny from the outlet valve. It was 4 yrs old.

I gave up.

I bought a Speed Queen all metal commercial behemoth. Only thing missing is the coin box! Not "high efficiency", or " high styling" but comes with a stunning warranty, all metal parts, stainless ginormous tub with king size comforter capacity. These monsters last upwards of 30 yrs. Quiet with simple analog dials, so even the men in my house can use it it without fear of yet another pricey repair. Simple directions and stain removal tips painted inside the lid! Even the drum stabilizer ( insert used for moving it) is super heavy engineered industrial plastic vs. the goofy flappy cardboard Fisher Paykel one.

Per my repair man, " Once we install Speed Queens, we never take 'em out, 'coz they never die and people love 'em!"

Both front load and top load models from which to choose. Our Speed Queen dryer (bought with the insidious Fisher Paykel washer), has been amazing and trouble free. Gigantic capacity. Super fast, even with towels and sleeping bags.

Consider Speed Queen the Bernina 1230 or Singer 201 of laundry equipment.

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to homewerk <<

Date: 10/9/13 9:34 AM

Quote: homewerk
...I know I want a top loader, high efficiency machine.

There's only two of us but I like to be able to wash king size comforters so I want at least a 3.5 cf tub. ...

I am not sure that is do-able. HE top load machines only fill up partially with water. I think it is less than half full, maybe as small as 25% full with water. You could try it, but you may not be happy with the results.

You really need a front load washer for a king size comforter. Even then, if it is a fluffy comforter, you might be better off at a laundromat or taking it to the laundry/dry cleaners.

We have two twin comforters in our guest room. I take it to the laundry/dry cleaners every few years for a wash, just to freshen them up. I won't even try to wash them in our front load wsher which is approx. 3+ cu. ft.
PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 10/9/13 9:48 AM

Maytag Bravos. Handles entire king size set (sheets and pillowcases).

You will have to take your comforter to the laundromat and use the super large machines. I do not know of any home machine that will handle this item.

-- Edited on 10/9/13 11:56 AM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<

Date: 10/9/13 9:51 AM

where can one buy speed queen? I am soon in the market and these sound very good to me.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 10/9/13 10:05 AM

Never mind bessiemae, I found a distributor that serves the area. Thanks for the suggestion. I am dreading the day the maytag set finally dies and will look into the speed queens. I always sort of thought why not just get a commercial set.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Help me choose a washing machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
THE SKIRTS - A CD Book By Kenneth King

THE SKIRTS - A CD Book By Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.