SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > We've been robbed ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
We've been robbed
THIEVES have the WORST TASTE
poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 10/10/13 4:54 AM

Bound to happen sooner or later.. never had a moments of trouble up till this week..
The weather has cooled down so I have been out in the yard doing the fall clean up.. And as all of you know.. we have sheds.. lots of sheds.. which I don't keep locked when I am in and out of them all day long this time of year. In fact to be honest we don't always lock up all the gates and even the doors to our house.
Up till recently when the last kid flew the coup, and my DH finally started working days there was someone in and out of the house during all times.. day and night.

So.. yesterday morning I went outside at the crack of dawn to get started on the yard.. I noticed right off that two of my shed doors were open.. Didn't think much of it.. figured Mr. P had needed something to fix the truck with..an ongoing project ..
I also had noticed the back door was wide open.. Figured Mr. P had left it like that for the dogs to run in and out.. Only a bit unusual.. a door is usually left open just for that purpose during the day.. not usually my Sewing room door though as I don't like the dogs going thru that room.. Don't like it so much that I have the door from my sewing room to the rest of the house locked off too..

Then last evening, my neighbor knocks on my window.. She sews also. .for a living.. and so both of us are very respectful of not interrupting each other during the daytime hours when we might be working..
In any case.. she tells me that someone had entered their home during the night.. had actually entered the bedroom.. Now she thought that it was her roomie letting the dogs out when she heard the door open and close.. but when she saw someone tall enter her room she of course screamed and the intruder took off.. They called the police..

So. when they were telling us that.. It then made sense why the sheds had been left open.. something Mr. P denied doing but then he denies everything so its not like I believed him..

So, I told him he best go check out his sheds. While I checked mine out.. I saw nothing missing from my shed.. Both of our main sheds are full of tools.. We also have a shed behind his shed which holds all our yard equipment.. Sure enough.. the tools and such had been pulled out of that shed.. they took the weed wacker and the chain saw.. Light enough weight to carry..easy to pawn.. and worth some bucks..

I only wish I could have seen their faces when they opened up the new shed door to see bolts and bolts of fabric.. and then my sewing room.. full of machines and more fabric.. And yet. they took nary a bobbin.. much less any of my machines that are def worth more than a weed wacker.. I am guessing they don't sew..

Maripat
Maripat  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 10/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/10/13 5:41 AM

Sorry to hear of that. Such an invasion of privacy leaving a feeling of vulnerability...or anger
We had a similar situation and the thieves took the spare car keys too, which the neighbor didn't notice until her car was missing the next day! On the bright side, the thieves got caught and got 3 years in juvy.
Keep your chin up that they missed the "gold" in your sewing room!

------
"You are in charge of your own ride!"

LearningAlterations.com

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/10/13 5:47 AM

Quote: poorpigling
...much less any of my machines that are def worth more than a weed wacker.. I am guessing they don't sew..

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/10/13 6:48 AM

So sorry. Something like this definitely leaves you feeling violated. But how nice that they don't sew, only garden!

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/10/13 7:15 AM

Sorry to hear this. Coming into your neighbor's bedroom is creapy. But, glad to hear they did not go through your house. Sewing machines are safe too! They would not have any idea how to fence those. Makes me wonder if any pawn shops have good sewing machines. hmmm

But hey a SHED for your fabric???? That is downright awesome.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 10/10/13 7:35 AM

Well, git out them Texas firearms out of the pickup back window, Lady!
Protecting your property is admired in that state. Plus SM's lofted high make good weapons....

We recently had 2 different criminals shot in the city by homeowners--
allowed if they're coming up your porch--not allowed if they're retreating. I read of one judge who directed officers to the juvie's house to take all their electronics, x-boxes, sports gear, leaving just a bed in their room so they know how it feels--that's justice better then the Oh-poor-me slaps on the wrist.

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Contest Committee
Send Message

Subject: Weve been robbed Date: 10/10/13 8:06 AM

*phew* no machines missing. Or fabric.

Sorry to hear this, PPL. Very upsetting.

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 10/10/13 8:29 AM

Pigling, how awful! But yes, I'm with the others, at least the fabric and sewing machines are safe. You can always replace a weed wacker and chain saw.

We had a shed broken into when our oldest son still lived at home. It was where he kept his work equipment. The thieves knew what they were doing. They even used a wheel barrow to haul some of the stuff to their vehicle! The scary part is, we never heard a thing.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/10/13 8:34 AM

Oh my gosh, how scary! Myself being the victim of a burglary, of my home, I can tell how violated you feel. But be very careful and aware; they might be back--looking for more. I had a boss who's house was burglarized three times in four months. First time, just a cursory overview, second time, a few things, and the third--really good stuff taken.

Grammab is right--get them shotguns ready! Just the click of it should be enough to make anyone run.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/10/13 8:44 AM

OOOOHHHH! So sorry to hear! You know, it isn't so much what they take or don't take, of course, it is the feeling of violation.

I live in a nice, upscale suburb where crime of this type is infrequent. But 22 years ago, shortly after we had bought our first PC, I left the house one afternoon with my 4 year old to run some errands. I was only gone about an hour. When we returned I stopped at the end of the driveway to check the mailbox. And as usual my son wanted to get out and run ahead to the back door. When I got there, he said, "Mommy, the door is already open!"

It had been kicked in and our new computer stolen. Several other electronics were taken too, but what was "almost" funny was that they had picked up a little portable B&W television from the kitchen, carried it as far as the back door, and then left it there. Wasn't worth their while!

It was obvious to us that someone had gotten our address from the check when we bought the computer. They targeted our house in the middle of the day in the middle of our neighborhood and went straight to the computer - all within an hour that I was gone. (And NO, we did not leave any evidence like boxes in our trash pickup.)

I still get chills down my spine thinking of my 4 year old son finding that door bashed in - and thinking the thieves could have still been there!!!

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> We've been robbed

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Self Drafted Pattern 99383-1000

photo
by: julliams

Review
8 1/2 inch Dressmaking Shears

8 1/2 inch Dressmaking Shears

More Info
Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

More Info
Simplicity 2152

photo
by: sunnysewer

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.