SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Under stitched necks still rolls out. Any suggestions? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Under stitched necks still rolls out. Any suggestions?
meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

Date: 10/10/13 3:46 PM

I have a slightly v neckline that I have under stitched to the lining, but the lining side still rolls out a little bit. The fabric is a very smooth cotton lawn and the lining is rayon batiste (very similar to challis). Any thoughts on keeping the lining more in place? I suppose I could topstitch, but I like the clean look on the front.

------
Melanie

sarahd271
sarahd271
Member since 9/30/13
Send Message

In reply to meleliza <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/10/13 3:51 PM

Sometimes, I've had better luck hand stitching the under stitching - you can pull the stiches with a little more tension/control to help it roll in. Hope that helps.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/10/13 4:19 PM

I'm having this issue with a top/facing as well (it's like I didn't even understitch at all the way it just flops over!). Haven't done it yet, but I'm going to try some interfacing on the facing to see if that helps.

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

In reply to sarahd271 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/10/13 6:11 PM

Ok, I'll try this. The lining is also attached at the sleeves, which seems to help it stay in place at the shoulders. The biggest problem is at the front of the V. Maybe I can get away with just a few hand stitches in the problem area. Thanks!

------
Melanie

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to meleliza <<

Date: 10/10/13 6:30 PM

Since the top is lined anyways, when you got your facing sewn onto there, now you got a whole base layer of lining fabric you can sew and tack anything you want to onto it. All the free outside edge of the whole neck facing would be one of those things even. So when everything pressed down and clipped and graded, and understiched pressed and just like you would want, now if having that issue, you really can actually slip or catch stitch all free hanging facing edges just very secure to the lining even, and it will never show on the outside of the garment at all. Of course you can't do that, if you only have garment fabric and lining, or garment fabric and facing the the same way, but sounds like you got all 3 going even going on at the same time somehow, so that makes it possible there.

If you mean you already did all that and it still happens, then I think you should have folded your facing a bit more to the underside inside, before you hand stitched everything down but you could just pick out that hand stitching and do it again, folding over a bit more.
-- Edited on 10/10/13 6:33 PM --
-- Edited on 10/10/13 6:36 PM --

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to meleliza <<

Date: 10/10/13 7:03 PM

Well, thank you Meleliza. I checked your review on Vogue 8409 to see if I could get a hint about your question from looking at a picture of you in a dress - any dress. Well, what a treat!

I clicked on the picture hoping to enlarge it and get a better look and it linked to your blog and the story behind that dress. You are so wise. Beautiful, too, but very wise - and talented - and skilled. I was so mesmerized by your story about the dress that I haven't even read your review yet. I am looking forward to looking over more from your blog.

As far as your v neckline....beauturbo is faster at posting - what she said

-- Edited on 10/10/13 7:33 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 10/11/13 4:31 PM

What I do is ditch stitch in the well of the shoulder seam through the fashion fabric and facing and/or lining from the public side. Use a small stitch length. I usually stitch about an inch. I almost never shows and totally secures everything. If you are careful lining up your shoulder seams on the lining and fashion fabric it will end up in the well of the lining seam and be nearly invisible. I recommend you do a sample stitch out of the same layers of fabric in a short little seam to see if you like it. It should secure things really well.

I have also done this by hand with needle and thread so whichever you prefer.

thaiyal
star
thaiyal
Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 9/28/05
Send Message

Date: 10/11/13 4:49 PM

Are you clipping into the point of V, cutting almost but not quite to the line of stitching?

Here's a picture by SewFit Patterns on how much to clip into.

http://www.sfdlearningcenter.com/V-Neck-Stitching-Technique.html

-- Edited on 10/11/13 4:53 PM --

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 10/11/13 4:52 PM

I do like Bunnypn (stitch in ditch), or if that's not going to be invisible because of the fabric, catch stitch to the seam allowances for a short distance.

------
http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

Date: 10/12/13 1:24 AM

The problem isnt at the shoulders. The sleeves are keeping that in place. It's the center front. On this dress, I skipped the facing and just did a lining. But I have another dress with a lining and facing and a scoop neckline that has the same issue.

I have been trying out hand under stitching down just that front part of the V and I think it will work. Getting the tension right is the question, as is keeping stitches neat. Lol. I unpicked the first attempt because I thought it too sloppy, then I drew a line with a pencil to follow. But this time I think I pulled it too tight. I'll press it a little in the morning and see.

------
Melanie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Under stitched necks still rolls out. Any suggestions?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Simplicity 2825

photo
by: cybperry

Review
Wonder Wallet

Wonder Wallet

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Designer Dress Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Designer Dress Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.