SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Vitamin D level ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Vitamin D level
GET CHECKED!1
Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 7/1/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/10/13 8:02 PM

I have been taking Vitamin D for the last few years trying to get to the "magic" number of 50. In 4/12 when last checked it was 48 so I increased my dose to 5000 units daily. I have been having worsening fatigue & achy-ness over the last year so finally made a followup appt & rechecked labs as I think there is a relationship between pain & low vitamin D levels & probably low serotonin levels Increasing the vitamin D level closer to normal made a huge difference in at least 2 people I know to be bipolar/chemically imbalanced.
Over the last few months, I have taken an extra dose or two just because I wasn't feeling well & borderline depressed ( a different type of depression than before I started on a low carb diet & got blood sugars back under control.) I have averaged 40-45,000 units weekly for that time & also some time in the garden.
My vitamin D level drawn Mon was 28. The doctor placed me on 50,000 units 2x weekly & 2000 units daily with a recheck in 3 months to see if we can refill my Vitamin D level.
Thyroid levels were also on the very low side of normal T3,T4, reverse T3& reverse T4. TSH was in the middle of normal. The doctor said that could also affect the vitamin D level. She is confering with my Pharm D on increasing the levo/lio supplement.---thank goodness, I am tired of been excessively tired all the time. At least it is not as bad as before I started thyroid supplementation. I had difficulty with doing anything for more than an hour without a long rest, forget attempting anything outside in the garden or canning.
Hopefully, this will help someone else.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Julia C <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/10/13 8:07 PM

You sound like you are being proactive in your health, and for that I commend you. Have you had your serotonin level checked? You might be a candidate for 5-HTP. The body doesn't manufacture it, but it's taken from substances that do. It's a simple blood test, much like your Vitamin D would show. Ask your doctor.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 7/1/07
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 10/10/13 8:16 PM

I'll wait on that one. I am not really depressed or down, just no energy at present. However, I will keep it in mind when I am telling everyone to get their vitamin D levels checked. A Coworker was saying today hers was down to 15 but I am not sure how much, if any, vitamin D she was taking. I felt mine would be lower due to the achiness & frequent viruses I have been getting, just was not expecting a 20pt drop. I expect the stress from all the smoke the end of August did not help. Everyone at work was feeling lousy too.

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to Julia C <<

Date: 10/10/13 8:24 PM

I take 4000 units a day and when it is cloudy and rainy for a few days, I up it to 6000. My dh thinks I should take a lot less. If I forget for a couple of days, I get very sad and want to cry. Back to the higher dose and I am better in a couple of days. My body just needs the stuff. I do feel much better when I take more of it.

Some of us need a little help from vitamins.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 7/1/07
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 10/10/13 8:34 PM

At the rate I am going, if I were in WA, I would need closer to 10,000 units baseline.
Have you had your Vitamin D level checked in the last year?

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

Date: 10/10/13 8:34 PM

I've been taking quite a bit more D3 the last year or so and I think it has really helped my immune system. I've had the levels checked a couple times over the past 9 months and at one point I actually cut back the amount/day due to the high levels.

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to goodworks1 <<

Date: 10/10/13 8:38 PM

Quote:
I've been taking quite a bit more D3 the last year or so and I think it has really helped my immune system.
Bingo. When the body is happy, so is the immune system.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

RMJ
star
RMJ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 10/10/13 8:39 PM

My level used to be fine but my doctor retested it last month and now it is below normal, even though I haven't changed the dose of supplement. So I'd add, don't just get tested once, get tested occasionally because the level can change.

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 7/1/07
Send Message

In reply to RMJ <<

Date: 10/10/13 8:49 PM

Absolutely!! It was quite amazing to find mine was as low as it was. I meet a lot of people who think 400-800 units daily is enough.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 10/10/13 10:32 PM

It's a good idea to get vitamin D levels checked, particularly if older. Older people don't get as much sun as they should, but also the body doesn't absorb vitamin D as easily when older.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Vitamin D level

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Butterick 8044

photo
by: The Dreams...

Review
Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Equinox Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Equinox Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.