Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Janome 5024 or Husqvarna Emerald 116? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Janome 5024 or Husqvarna Emerald 116?
ert28
ert28
Intermediate
Member since 10/11/13
Login to reply to this post

Date: 10/11/13 1:54 PM

Hello, i am looking around for buying a sewing machine and within my budget and with what is available in my local stores, i've narrowed it down to either a Janome 5024 (on which i can get a nice discount and some extras from the store owner) or a Husqvarna Emerald 116.
I dont need many different stitches etc. but what is most important for me, is that the machine wont have trouble with layers of fabric, especially layers of jeans, and that it runs smooth through different kinds of material also like leather, canvas/PVC etc.
What would you advice me? Thanx for any replys!

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09

In reply to ert28 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/11/13 2:05 PM

Bring all those layers of leather and Canvas and PVC with you, and stack them up high, and tell them you are going to put them in the machine, and then hit the foot pedal fast. When they stop you and won't let you do that, as they don't want you to hurt their demo machine, then you will know, that those are the wrong kinds of machines to do that with?

ert28
ert28
Intermediate
Member since 10/11/13

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 10/11/13 3:47 PM

Haha thats a good one i have to say! I will go back for sure to try them out, but in the meantime was wondering if anyone has experience with any of these machines and could give me some choosing-advice.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 6/27/03

In reply to ert28 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/11/13 5:58 PM

I don't think either machine is made for a lot of heavy-duty sewing of jeans, canvas, leather and webbing. Did your dealer direct you to these two after hearing what you wanted to sew? Someone here might own one of the machines you're interested in but may not be able to assure you it will sew those fabrics easily. Both will prob sew them w/ proper needle/thread and possibly walking foot or roller foot, etc but those are occasional tasks for most sewers and i think you might need something more heavy-duty. A strong, metal vintage Kenmore, Singer, Necchi, Pfaff might be your best bet. Just be sure it has a high enough presser foot lift to fit your fabrics under the needle.

AminaHijabi
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10

Date: 10/11/13 6:26 PM

I have the Viking emerald 116. I don't think I would use it for those tasks on a regular basis. I do hem jeans on mine a few times a year and quilt binding does involve 6 layers of mid weight cotton + batting and adhesive, but I wouldn't use it to make Jean jackets or make leather upholstery. it's just not designed for those tasks on e regular basis. it's also expensive if you're going to intentionally break it like that. I would get a Janome 2212 at half the price from Amazon and save your money for a straight-stitch only machine like a brother pq-1500s, or even better a used industrial juki.

edit: actually quilt binding is 8 layers of cotton + batting and adhesive isn't it? adhesive because I glue it on first lol!
-- Edited on 10/11/13 6:28 PM --

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09

In reply to ert28 <<

Date: 10/11/13 8:17 PM

I don't know, but I think you are thinking those machines are something they are not And better to know that first, than afterwards. I really can hem my jeans on any sewing machine, anyplace though, and I do know the right and wrong ways to do that- (right way is most times using a little jig to be kind to the machine) and that does a make a difference sometimes. So ask about that too.

What are you planning on and really wanting to sew out of all that leather, Canvas and PVC, and how do you plan to construct that, as it probably makes a big difference on what kind of machine you might want.

Maripat
Maripat  Friend of PR
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 10/11/08

Date: 10/11/13 9:16 PM

Ohhhh a new machine. How fun.

I reviewed the Janome Magnolia (about $400.00) here on PatternReview

I use it at the dry cleaner for whom I work. Two other ladies also use it so it's busy every day. We do everything from jeans to chiffon. It has held up beautifully. We've only had one minor repair in 3 years.

Correct needle and a jean a ma jig will help in hemming jeans. I realize this is not either of the models you mentioned, but thought I'd let you know how much I like the Janome.
Maripat

------
"You are in charge of your own ride!"

LearningAlterations.com

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
ME USA
Member since 1/29/11

Date: 10/11/13 9:39 PM

There are mixed reviews on the new singer heavy duty machines - some folks who sew lots love them - other hate them.

I understand I also answered your question with other machine options. Others know much more than I do about this sort of thing.

------
Quilting up a storm!

ert28
ert28
Intermediate
Member since 10/11/13

Date: 10/12/13 8:26 AM

Hey, first off, thanx all for your replys. I realise i should maybe be a bit more specific on what i want/ will do with the machine. I didnt mention, but i'm quite a beginner and mainly want to do some standard repair work at home (patching up jeans, remodelling shirts and the occasional curtain or stuffed animal). Via friends ive used both super cheap machines as well as work-horse-industrial machine. With the cheap ones i was always very frustrated that they jammed often on even a simple cross stitch on a patch. An industrial machine, though i love it for its heavy duty and no nonsense is however not an option for me at the moment (no budget, no space, and i like the versatility of a normal machine with free arm etc. which i will need more).

As for the materials i mentioned (canvas/pvc etc.) i do occasionally like to use them for projects like making a simple wallet or cover for pencils and tools etc. Again nothing too fancy or complicated, but i would like the machine to run through the material without hassle.

In a way, i guess with the little amount of work i do and comparatively easy projects, i could go for a simple/standard machine cheaper than the once i proposed. However, since i do have a bit of a budget, i wouldnt mind spending a bit more and getting a bit stronger of e amchine, hence the machines i proposed (and were proposed to me). In other words, i understand the machines that i mentioned, or in that price range, have their limitations, and hopefully in the future i can invest in something more heavy duty. However for now i'm looking for a versatile yet easy to use machine which can handle a (lets say) once a month sewing project without hampering or jamming.

-- Edited on 10/12/13 8:28 AM --

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09

In reply to ert28 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/12/13 2:37 PM

I think you are O.K. and fine with most any home machine (old or new) that you want for just a Wallet or cover for pencils or such. The leather, canvas and PVC talk though, made me wonder if you were about to attempt to go into auto and boat upholstery, make saddles or build some prototype of some big heavy things. I could also sew a ladies soft supple glove leather kind of skirt or such just on any sewing machine too really. Not a heavy motorcycle jacket or something like that though.

I would just bring some of your fabric and the stuff I planned to sew on, with you when you try them all, that is just how you get to see how it feels when doing that. Things that maybe would not be good to sew over and into with the motor going, and using the foot pedal, if you just have one little place like that, if you just only carefully turn the fly wheel by hand most times just right there in that spot, often gets you though places like that too even.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Janome 5024 or Husqvarna Emerald 116?

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Online Sewing Classes
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Ottobre Woman Magazine 05-2007-02
photo
Review by bananaoil on 3/19/11
Read Review

Simplicity 1710 Pattern ( Size S-M-L )
Simplicity 1710 Pattern ( Size S-M-L )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6271 Pattern ( Size 2-3-4-5 )
McCalls 6271 Pattern ( Size 2-3-4-5 )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Ottobre Design Magazine 03-2013-10
photo
Review by kidmd on 5/21/13
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Chloe Ruffle Jacket Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Chloe Ruffle Jacket Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Salme Minna Blouse Digital Pattern
Salme Minna Blouse Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewing Workshop Verona Jacket & Coat
Sewing Workshop Verona Jacket & Coat

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Shapes Three Fold Vest Pattern
Shapes Three Fold Vest Pattern

Details
Price: $16.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN