Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Bernina 155 - advice on price ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 155 - advice on price
Bernina 155 sewing machine
Wiggie
Wiggie
Beginner
NY USA
Member since 10/8/13
Login to reply to this post

Date: 10/13/13 10:22 PM

Hello everyone, I'm very new to the PR forum, and also pretty new to sewing (done only some simple cushion covers without zippers). I have a very basic Singer machine back home (which I do not like because the bobbin thread keeps jamming and can't sew thicker fabrics) and have just shifted to NYC, will be here for the next 7 months only.

I am looking to purchase either a really cheap and yet good machine e.g. Brother CS 6000i or a good sturdy Bernina (that I can grow into) that's dual voltage which I can use back home without a transformer. Recently, I've been presented with the opportunity to purchase a Bernina 155 at $600; but I know next to nothing about this machine and it's hard to find reviews on this machine.

I'm looking to be able to (learn to) sew simple curtains, cushion covers (with zippers), bags and garments with this 155 and keep it for as long as possible!

I do see that there have been 1008s, 801s, 730/930 Records on ebay that close off in the range of $300 over. My question: is it worth it to purchase this 155 at $600 for my purposes?
Hope I can get some of your experience in helping me decide whether to buy this or not.

Thank you in advance!

JoandElvis
JoandElvis
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/29/13

Date: 10/14/13 1:50 AM

Is it brand new or used?

I am considering a Bernina 150 that has hardly been used. Asking price is $800 but I am thinking of making a lower offer. I am in Australia though, so that might make a difference.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 6/27/03

In reply to Wiggie <<

Date: 10/14/13 7:30 AM

$600 seems a pretty fair price IF the machine has all the original accessories, manual, feet and especially if via a dealer with a bit of warranty. if not, then you may wind up having to have it serviced and that runs around $120, so whatever you pay if from an individual, add that much to your cost. Personally i'd not want more than $600 in it after paying for extras or a service...partcularly if you don't know history on the machine as to whether it was cared for meticulously or not. The 155 will do all of the things you want to do and with proper maintenance, should last a long while. Be sure you get the cards that come with it for the panels of decorative stitches. If the machine does not come with those, it is worth far less than $600 bc it would be very difficult to find those cards. There are quite a few decoratve stitches and if that's not something you want, you might do better w/ a simple model. Also for the bags, you may need a walking foot if this model doesn't have adjustable presser foot pressure. The WF is $120. Often used buys come with extra feet such as the WF so check to see if any extra feet are there bc that makes your price of $600 a much better deal.
-- Edited on 10/14/13 7:33 AM --

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NE USA
Member since 4/17/06

Date: 10/14/13 1:19 PM

I have this machine, it's a workhorse, built very tough. My tech was able to tell me how many hrs I had on it, so maybe you could get that info for the one you're looking at. I have replaced a 75 cent part in the 10 yrs I've owned it, the only trouble I've had. Beautiful stitch and I have made many an item on it.
$600 is right on if it has the original supplies with it. Mine came with a hard cover and a case that had really quite a few feet. The buttonholes are automatic with an electronic eye, and very nice.
That price is what I see at dealers and I have seen higher prices on CL, so I think you're ok there.
It's been so long, I don't remember what all came with it, but I can look that up if you need to know. I know I have additional feet and walking foot, but my guess is that was extra.

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NE USA
Member since 4/17/06

Date: 10/14/13 1:22 PM

It has an adjustable pressure dial on the Lt side, also has a balance dial on the Rt, I usually don't mess with that, but I adjust the pressure a lot.
Now I have an 830 so it's my backup machine, but it's so quick to use I mend, etc with it.

Wiggie
Wiggie
Beginner
NY USA
Member since 10/8/13

Date: 10/14/13 2:34 PM

Thanks all!
JoandElvis - are you going to get that 150?

Sewfrequent - from my initial contact, it seems like all original accessories are included, even a hard case. The seller mentions that he'll ensure that it runs smoothly (i.e. it's been serviced) else he wouldn't sell it to me. Spoke over the phone with him and he sounded genuine there...I will check whether there's a walking foot included. I tried searching on ebay, seems like if I want to search for presser feet for 155, it's not that easy to come by.
dfsews, I suppose this 155 is a snap-on foot; do you think it's possible to purchase the modern snap-ons for this older machine? It's ok, you don't have to look up the price at which you purchased yours. I'm just getting a rough gauge of whether paying USD600 for this is a worthwhile investment...

Wiggie
Wiggie
Beginner
NY USA
Member since 10/8/13

Date: 10/14/13 2:35 PM

Oh, another thing, don't think there'll be warranty. he'll be shipping over to nyc for me and he's not a dealer. Kind of like an ebay purchase...

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NE USA
Member since 4/17/06

Date: 10/14/13 4:47 PM

The presser feet are the modern shank feet, new style, and not snap-ons. If you look on ebay for new style Bernina feet you will find them, they have a white tag with red number indicating the foot on them. Don't search by 155, it may only say 150 or 153. There don't seem to be a lot of 155s, but lots of 153s.

Wiggie
Wiggie
Beginner
NY USA
Member since 10/8/13

In reply to dfsews <<

Date: 10/14/13 5:05 PM

Oh ok! Then I shouldn't worry about finding presser feet to fit the bernina 155 then. Will cross my fingers and hope it'll come with a walking foot!
Thank you dfsews and sewfrequent and good luck to you, JoandElvis! =)

JoandElvis
JoandElvis
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/29/13

In reply to Wiggie <<

Date: 10/14/13 6:57 PM

Thanks Wiggie. I am not sure if I am going to buy the 150 yet. Still considering.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina 155 - advice on price

Merchants on PR
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Vogue Patterns 1165 Misses' Shirt
photo
Review by Ann Smith on 7/19/10
Read Review

Favorite Things Hushabye Baby Pattern
Favorite Things Hushabye Baby Pattern

Details
Price: $14.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt
Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Hang Time Basketball Shorts Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )
Peek-A Boo Hang Time Basketball Shorts Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Secret Agent Trench Coat Digital Pattern ( 6M- 4)
Oliver + S Secret Agent Trench Coat Digital Pattern ( 6M- 4)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 7556 Misses DRESS
photo
Review by lqtang on 12/29/13
Read Review

Butterick 5951 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )
Butterick 5951 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 1367 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Vogue 1367 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $30.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN