SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Have you ever started something and changed your mind? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Have you ever started something and changed your mind?
Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/14/13 12:30 PM

I am struggling with the avatar quilt. I am thinking I really do not want to do this quilt after all. It is a hard struggle to find colors/fabrics that go together I already have or know I want. It is just not happening for me. That and I want to put several of the blocks in different places or eliminate them all together.

I have my 6 hour applique class on Thursday. I am hoping I like it as much as I think I might.

Maybe I'll go to the dark side for a couple of days and work on a shirt. I want to lessen the vertical darts on the light blue one and give myself more room when sitting down. Standing, the shirt fits well, but not when sitting. I have plenty of room in the darts to do this and it should be easy to do with a narrow edge foot. I thought I'd do it on the Pfaff.

If I were to start another quilting project, I have no clue what to start. I have only cut a row of strips so far for the avatar quilt. My heart is not in it, I guess. I want to keep the mojo going, so I need to put that one aside for now. I do not like how the teacher arranged it, I think. I want to keep changing it to look better!!!

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/14/13 12:47 PM

Sounds to me like you need to call it a day and move on. Either that or adjust this quilt to turn it into something you can work on.

Best wishes...

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

Learn To Sew
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to EleanorSews <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/14/13 12:49 PM

I told my DH I feel like I am pushing a giant bolder up a hill with this quilt. Time to find something else to do.

------
Bernina 1200DA serger

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/14/13 1:06 PM

Quote:
I do not like how the teacher arranged it, I think. I want to keep changing it to look better!!!

That's probably your major problem with it! Why don't you do your shirt, but keep the quilt in the back of your mind...it will come to you. Then do it your way..let the teacher do her own! Tastes are different.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/14/13 1:22 PM

I don't consider a quilt project "started" until I have cut the pieces, and even then it often doesn't end up where I thought it was going when I started cutting.

I have lots of quilts floating around in my head in the "planning" stage. I have quilting software and probably look at dozens of layouts and color combinations before I even start picking fabric. When I've bought fabric that was selected to go together in a project, it doesn't always end up that way.

So yup, I change my mind all the time.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 10/14/13 2:08 PM

Learn, I love this title! Guess I don't know how to sew without changing my mind. That's what gives me such a kick about sewing- watching it all unfold, refold and emerge is my favorite thing. You know your creative process- go with that. Let the "struggle quilt" hibernate and maybe it will transform.

I sew for the joy of it, but sometimes a "boulder-pushing" project that makes me sweat gives tremendous satisfaction in the end. However, I have to love something about it. Usually it's the fabric- color, texture, hand feel. Otherwise I can't face it. I once started a man's suit with an old-world master tailor. I got through the pants and learned a ton, but the fabric was so flat and dark. Never made it to the jacket although at the time I loved to hand-tailor women's wear.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Learn To Sew
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/14/13 2:29 PM

I redid the blouse darts using the Pfaff. Not very crazy about my old machine after using the Bernina for over a year. I need to use it, as it is my class machine and it needs to be used. The darts are now much narrower in width and should make the shirt more comfy for me. At least I found some to sew. I wanted to sew and had to FND a project. An older shirt was a good one for today.

Now what will I do??? Go shopping, of course.

------
Bernina 1200DA serger

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 10/14/13 3:18 PM

Oh YES I have!

I STILL have that Easy Street mystery quilt sitting unfinished. I just DO NOT like it enough to spend time on it! There are soooo many things I WANT to make it is just impossible for me to drag that out again.

So no point trying to force it Learn. If it's not getting your creative juices flowing, move on to something that does!

Since you are so close to your applique class, what about reading the pattern, really looking at all the different pieces of it. Try to get an understanding of the process you will be doing.

------
Cathryn

Learn To Sew
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<

Date: 10/14/13 4:35 PM

That is what I am thinking of doing. Reading the pattern and seeing how it goes together. This way I should not be totally surprised in the process.

I went to Craft Warehouse (kind of like Micheal's) and bought a yard of white flannel for the wall board and half a yard of white muslin. I also bought 3 Avery glue sticks for the class.

While I was in the fabric section, I looked at all the FQ's of batiks. I could go nuts just buying those. I can see buying a drawer full of those FQ's. The price is $2.99 / buy 4 and the 5th is free. Sadly, I did not buy any...

------
Bernina 1200DA serger

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

Date: 10/14/13 4:56 PM

Nope, I never have.

Wait...yes I have.

Or not.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Have you ever started something and changed your mind?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby The Hat Shoppe Pattern

SewBaby The Hat Shoppe Pattern

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 8825

photo
by: MissCelie

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.