Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Beginner's Forum > Tutorial Questions ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Tutorial Questions
Things Left Out?
ThreeThreads
ThreeThreads  Friend of PR
Beginner
NM USA
Member since 8/22/13
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 10/15/13 7:00 PM

As a beginner, I'm working on a shopping bag project, b/c it'll be mostly straight sewing. For a start, I put together a small prototype, using a $1 FQ from W-M, and learned a few things from that.

Next, I plan to make up a full-size one, from an on-line tutorial as a base; & I have a couple of questions. First, is it common for tutorials to omit random details? Not--is it the normal practice?, but is it typical, to have left them out? E.g., the tutorial I'm using has lots of photos (very helpful); some seem to show steps taken which aren't mentioned in the instructions. (Also, some of the dimensions don't seem to hang together as a whole.)

Second, I'm confused about bias tape. The tutorial has one making one's own, but it doesn't say, from what. This is resolved in a photo near the end, but isn't mentioned in the instructions. For my project, I plan to use ribbon instead, folding it at corners. But, packaged bias tape gives a width--say, 1/2 inch--& a length. What does the width represent?--folded or unfolded? I can't seem to find an explanation, certainly not on packages of bias tape. If I were making my own, wouldn't I want to know the beginning and ending widths?

Over the weekend (using my 40% JA coupon), I asked there; and was told by the lady cutting fabric--as Dave Barry would say, I am still not making this up--"Bias tape packages don't show a width, only a length." And all the ppl waiting for fabric to be cut looked up, with astonished, WTF?, looks on their faces. One of these customers took me in hand, so to speak, & using examples from the bias tape rack, said the width measurement is folded width--folded over once, for single fold; twice for double fold. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help.

------
Just a thought: If your watch had a second hand, wouldn't it really be a third hand?

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06

In reply to ThreeThreads <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/15/13 7:31 PM

As with anything on the internet - anyone can write a tutorial. Just because it's there, doesn't mean it's good.

Regarding bias tape, this page may help. You can make your own from any fabric.

------
chris

Melbourne

bunnypn
bunnypn
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 9/29/13

Date: 10/15/13 9:09 PM

There are a lot of lousy tutorials out on the web. You really need to be careful with the information you decide to use. Unfortunately for newbies there is no way to know if the tute is quality or not.

Here on PR you have EXCELLENT resources that can literally take you through any sewing challenge. Don't hesitate to use this resource. Many have avatars hinting at their sewing level of expertise or experience. Take advantage of all this knowledge and good will. There are many who will willingly help. There is also a a post on this forum of the best tutorials and the what and why of them all.

Hope this helps. When it comes to tutorials on the web it is Caveat Emptor, Buyer Beware. Good Luck!

------
Bunny at http://lasewista.blogspot.com/
Formerly posting as Solosmocker.

ThreeThreads
Beginner
NM USA
Member since 8/22/13

In reply to misschris <<

Date: 10/15/13 9:13 PM

Quote:
Regarding bias tape

Thanx for the link; LOTS of great info there.

------
Just a thought: If your watch had a second hand, wouldn't it really be a third hand?

ThreeThreads
Beginner
NM USA
Member since 8/22/13

In reply to bunnypn <<

Date: 10/15/13 9:19 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of lousy tutorials out on the web.

That's as I suspected; in part, I was seeking confirmation of my suspicions.

I'm extremely detail-oriented, and am faulted at least once a week, by others, for my overly-analytical approach to things. So, as you might expect, I analyzed this tutorial in great detail before even starting.

------

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/2/08

In reply to ThreeThreads <<

Date: 10/16/13 1:28 AM

Making bias tape is pretty easy, and kind of fun if you don't have a ton of it to make. I use this gadget, that I bought from JoAnn's, below.

You cut 2" strips of fabric on the bias, cut the ends at a 45 degree angle, sew the strips together, and feed it through the device. As you pull it through, press with your iron. This will fold each side in toward the center 1/2". Then fold in the middle and press with your iron again. You will end up with 1/2 bias tape which will encase most seams nicely. So a 1" bias tape maker will use a 2" strip of fabric and yield a 1/2" finished product. I hope this helps, and there are instructions on the back of the packaging. There are also smaller bias tape makers available, but for garment sewing I like this size.
Dritz Bias Tape Maker
-- Edited on 10/16/13 1:54 AM --

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 2/8/09

Date: 10/16/13 7:48 AM

Pattern Review started in part because the pattern directions were often lacking. So folks can do a review and add in the missing details or ask others that made it how to do a missing step.

I feel your pain in bias tape. It happened to me so I bought a package of all the different tapes, opened and studied them- then made my own the the width I wanted!!

Your bias tape question is a good example of a PR post. Just ask it and you will get answers. Its really about the only way you get information because most packaging doesn't help one bit. Its like grocery shopping with only generic labels. After a while you figure it out.

Meanwhile post your questions here or ask a friendly JoAnn customer for help (the staff isn't usually that helpful).

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/2/08

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 10/16/13 2:19 PM

Meanwhile post your questions here or ask a friendly JoAnn customer for help (the staff isn't usually that helpful).

[/quote]
The JoAnn's in my area is the same way. At my store, they don't even know their own inventory let alone answer sewing questions.
-- Edited on 10/16/13 2:20 PM --

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

Date: 10/16/13 11:53 PM

Care to share the tutorial so we can analyze?

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

petro
starstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
FRANCE
Member since 6/24/07
online now

Date: 10/17/13 3:37 AM

Its hard writing a tutorial or instructions though. If you put in literally every step, so that a complete novice could work from it, most people would get irritated. So the author has to make decisions about what to assume the reader already knows. (Example - grain. If someone doesn't know the first thing about patterns or fabric, you'd have to start explaining this before the pattern layout.)
Tutorials are a free resource, and have their limitations.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Tutorial Questions

Merchants on PR
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Online Sewing Classes
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Self Drafted Pattern 118956-1000
photo
Review by Apron Stri... on 1/4/12
Read Review

New Look 6793 Pattern
New Look 6793 Pattern

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 2255 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10 )
McCalls 2255 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10 )

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6515 Misses Tops
photo
Review by NeedleandT... on 3/8/07
Read Review

Megan Nielsen Virginia Leggings Digital Pattern
Megan Nielsen Virginia Leggings Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Megan Nielsen Ruched Maternity Skirt Digital Pattern
Megan Nielsen Ruched Maternity Skirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern
SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern
You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $18.15
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN