SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > BurdaStyle magazine ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
BurdaStyle magazine
Joann's had it
halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 10/17/13 4:02 PM

First time I've seen Burdastyle magazine at Joann's. It was the winter 2014 issue for $14.99

Campbell
star
Campbell
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 12/11/03
Send Message

Date: 10/17/13 5:37 PM

I sat and looked at it today and almost bought it. The pattern insert has seam allowances added and it looked to be a little easier to trace off. There were also several patterns that were free PDF downloads from the Burda site. There was a code for each so I am not sure if you can get them free without the code. I liked the styles as well, more tailored and classic styles. I might go back and get it.

Izzie
starstar
Izzie
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 6/28/03
Send Message

Date: 10/17/13 7:22 PM

I called my local Jo-Anns yesterday and they didn't have it. Maybe they just didn't get it yet.

breathless
breathless
Advanced
Connecticut USA
Member since 5/25/06
Send Message

Date: 10/19/13 12:31 PM

Barnes and Noble in Milford CT is selling it, too.

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 10/19/13 7:49 PM

The Joann's in Hamburg, NY had it.

Debbie

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to halleyscomet <<

Date: 10/19/13 8:44 PM

This is a new periodical from Burda Style. It is the Burda Style US edition, separate from the English language Burda Style you can get from GLP or elsewhere. Here is info - this is the first issue that you saw - I saw it today in JAs.

New US edition of burda Style

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

carolineG
star
carolineG
Intermediate
Member since 6/4/04
Send Message

Date: 10/21/13 3:56 PM

I saw it in the Santa monica Joanns. I actually think it is great - really well laid out, nice information, and fantastic for a newer sewer who doesn't have stacks and stacks of Burda Styles to pull from. The patterns are all re-prints, mostly from fall 2012. They picked good ones and I think if people see it they will be impressed. It's a bargain for the price. However it is redundant for existing Burda subscribers since we all have these patterns anyway!

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

Date: 10/21/13 4:43 PM

Has anyone noticed or seen if Hancocks (which is more convenient for me) is carrying this?

I stopped subscribing to Burda a while back because it had gotten really hit-or-miss for my taste, but I'd be interested in checking this out.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

ChristineX
star
ChristineX
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/28/05
Send Message

In reply to carolineG <<

Date: 10/21/13 7:09 PM

Ah, I was wondering what the US version would be like. So it's like a quarterly edition? They used to do something similar for separates, like a greatest hits of the past year or so. This might be a good thing for people who don't want the monthly edition. I personally prefer the subscription one I have with the warts and all.

I was a bit worried because I haven't seen anything about this here in San Diego.

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/22/13 11:24 AM

I saw it in at my local JoAnn's yesterday and I read it while standing in line to get some fabric cut. But, I didn't buy it. Like another reviewer noted, the patterns are re-prints from previous editions of Burda Style and since I have been subscribing for several years I already have the patterns.

However, based upon my cursory review I would recommend the magazine. The instructions/diagrams are really good. The pattern sheets are much easier to read then the current Burda Style magazine and they do have a few sewing related articles as well. If a sewist wants to try a Burda design I think this is the magazine to pick up (and subscribe to as well).

I hope Burda has success with this particularly bringing in new sewists!

------
Kemish

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> BurdaStyle magazine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Folkwear 240

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Vogue Patterns 1220

photo
by: Westy85

Review
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Buy Now
Miranda Day Bag

Miranda Day Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.