SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Complex quilt designs ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Complex quilt designs
I need to be save from myself!
Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/17/13 10:25 PM

You see, I am such a sucker for stuff like this. I know these are quilts I can make but one can only have so many on their docket at once. I already have three Judy Niemeyer patterns, Dear Jane, another Kim McLean pattern Stars and Sprigs... I think there may be others too, oh yeah... this lovely project.
... I need need to have some one to tell me to stop! If I can't have the sewing machine of my dreams, I guess I can afford these patterns.

-- Edited on 10/17/13 10:29 PM --

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/17/13 10:34 PM

Oh I would at least get the patterns, you never know in a few years you may have sometime to do these. They are beautiful Warbler. Go for it!

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 10/17/13 11:35 PM

Ooooo I LOVE these!

What is the harm in collecting patterns? Just because you really love them??

Think of how many garment sewers collect patterns. I have quite a few myself and I simply will NOT part with any of them. I did once, and I DEEPLY regret it.

NO comparison between the cost of a machine and the cost of a pattern. So stick up! Then you will HAVE it in your hand when the moment strikes you to use it!

------
Cathryn

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
Send Message

Date: 10/18/13 5:04 AM

What breathtaking quilts. Do you really want to be saved from yourself? Where's the fun in that?

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 10/18/13 5:11 AM

I'm right there with you I love these. But they are a lot of work as I found out with my Orchard project that is still unfinished. I love Kim's stuff. I still have Celestial Dream to do.
-- Edited on 10/18/13 8:49 AM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 10/18/13 5:33 AM

I like this one

------

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

Date: 10/18/13 5:53 AM

omg all are just amazing! Yes get the patterns for when you've less on your plate!! What if they quit making these down the road?? *pfft* patterns are nothing cost wise compared to machines :-)

I'm in love with the Hexies and Diamonds one! Not yet and not for the next couple years as I hope to hone in on what type quilts I like to make, and this complex would take me years to even cut. Next year I bet you would start on one of these IF you had the patterns!

Nope, not going to stop you on these

Debbie

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/18/13 10:20 AM

This crazy analogy just came to me. Please don't anyone take offense.

Quilts like that, to me, are like babies. They are beautiful, I love them, I appreciate them, I love looking at them, I am glad there are people in the world that want to make them. But I have never, not even the slightest inkling, ever had the urge to make one myself.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 10/18/13 10:37 AM

LOL! I am certainly not offended.

There are all KINDS of beautiful quilts I love to look at but have no desire to even consider making.

And babies have a habit of growing into TEENAGERS!

Don't blame you ONE BIT for not wanting that special joy either

------
Cathryn

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 10/18/13 10:53 AM

Not offended either, quilts like that are a lot of work, a lot of energy, a lot of decisions, a lot of time and can be a lot of money. I learned that doing Orchard which of course still isn't finished. One thing about these type quilts when ever I get around to working on Celestial dream is to do a design with blocks or borders, so you have some sense of accomplishment when you finish a block or a border piece, really Celestial dream is just a series of applique borders, so you could really stop at any time and design around them. Orchard was a whole cloth quilt so it isn't finished till it's finished. And the thought of sewing around all those pieces is overwhelming. I think the only way that I will ever finish it is to go around the shapes roughly with a small zigzag stitch with clear thread. I'm honestly amazed I got as far with it as I did. And will probably really think twice about doing something like it for a while. My next applique piece will probably be the Lori Smith folk art designs and then maybe another Edytar Sitar pattern. Her shapes are simple and easy to sew around. But I love the part about picking the fabrics for all the elements. Think that's why I'm drawn to these type of quilt projects.
-- Edited on 10/18/13 10:55 AM --

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Complex quilt designs

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Other Drape Drape #5

photo
by: tenlilelve...

Review
Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Buy Now
ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Silhouette Patterns 310

photo
by: ggf2005

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.