SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > faux leather fabric question ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
faux leather fabric question
blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

Date: 10/18/13 12:34 PM

I am very interested in this faux leather fabric from Vogue Fabrics. The description says that 3" stretches to 6". Would I treat this like a stable knit, such as ponte, or would I treat is as a stretchy jersey like an ITY? I have recently fallen in love with this dress from anthropologie and had thought of doing a knock off of it. I am just not sure if I should use a pattern strictly for knits or if I should use one for wovens. I am not sure what type of fabric I would need to use for a muslin. I would really like to use V8828 but I am not sure it would be appropriate for the stretch in the faux leather fabric.
-- Edited on 10/18/13 12:45 PM --

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 10/18/13 4:41 PM

I think no way to know for sure on any of those things, until some fabric is actually in your own hands, and you are touching it with your own fingertips and stretching it in your own hands, and eyeballing it and draping it across your own body, to even know all that stuff. Just since fabric is such a very tactile and physical thing. Something up on a computer screen,even in bitmap or text, just can't do all that stuff the same way at all. Unless you already had a bolt of it in the past, in your hands, and now you are just ordering the exact same thing from someplace else instead.

But if it had 50% stretch in just one direction, that is a lot for some fabric, but also you also don't know how hard they pulled on it, to get that, and you don't know what it did even visually to the coated or plastic or whatever surface of the fabric, when that happened either.

But I think your Vouge pattern choice, is probably a good choice for it, out of any others. Just because you don't need any stretch there, and it probably won't hurt anything if you got any either. If it's really kind of stretchy, maybe you could even make that dress out of it, and even just leave out the back zipper, and be able to just pull it on, over your head instead?

I don't think I would want any faux leather with only one way stretch to it, or none, to actually have to be stretched onto my body at all times while wearing it. Even if I was not bending or stretching. Just since then I think it's harder on the "coating/finish of it" and more likely to make it lift and peel off later. But I would only determine that kind of thing, by actually having my hands and fingers on the cut edge of it, and manipulating it in my hands first. Can't do something like that at all, with only a bitmap and pixels and text to go by, so it does make things hard like that. Just because you have lost all the tactile to visual clues on it, when it's even presented in that more digtital way even.

novicesewist
star
novicesewist  Friend of PR
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 2/11/08
Send Message

Date: 10/18/13 7:11 PM

I love that anthropologie dress. Are you planning on making the back bodice out of ponte (or some other similar knit) like they did? If so, I hope your color match is as good as theirs. Really cute dress!
judy

simplystitches
simplystitches
NY USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to blessedtosew <<

Date: 10/18/13 7:48 PM

If it were me and I really liked and knew I would use the fabric I would order it and THEN decide what pattern would best work with it.

Otherwise order a sample. The crime in that is that Mood charges 5.00 shipping on samples. Ridiculous!

Debbie

blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

In reply to novicesewist <<

Date: 10/19/13 9:27 AM

I am going to do the whole dress in the faux leather.

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

Date: 10/19/13 12:36 PM

What an awesome idea!

Based on the fabric id#, I suspect this is one of the Telio faux leathers. I recall the number only because it is most of friend's phone number, not any super-human memory ;).

If so, this is like a nice lightweight lamb leather with a surprising stretch and great recovery - no slumping out of shape due to its own weight like an ITY.

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

Date: 10/19/13 12:38 PM

I think it would be more like a stable knit like ponte.

------

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 10/19/13 4:07 PM

Wow, it sounds like it's super stretchy to me. I would not consider that to be a stable knit. You definitely need a swatch.
The dress is really cute...the Vogue pattern is designed for a woven but you could probably do it up in a knit muslin and resize it from there.
I hope you can share your finished dress if you decide to do it. :)

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

Date: 10/19/13 4:21 PM

Random passing thought - that colour is going to look especially awesome if you decide to try red hair.

------

susandf
star
susandf
Expert/Couture
AZ USA
Member since 4/30/11
Send Message

Date: 10/21/13 10:37 AM

I just finished sewing on some faux leather.

It does stretch when sewing - even when using stabilizer. If your machine has an option to reduce pressure on the pressure foot, it might help.

I enjoyed sewing on the fabric more than I expected - but I was sewing luggage and fit was not a concern....

Had to be inventive to press seams though (melting be a major concern!)

Hope it works for you! That dress looks fun to wear!

------
The Destashification Project - Stash Couture!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> faux leather fabric question

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

brerrabbit.com kimono collage vest

photo
by: Bluepine

Review
New Look 6130

photo
by: Cristinagf

Review
Pants Sewing DVD

Pants Sewing DVD

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.