SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Certified Online Dealers ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Certified Online Dealers
Have you ever ordered from one? How was it?
Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

Date: 10/18/13 3:56 PM

So, the sm I wanted has been discontinued. My local Janome dealers can't get it for me but it's still available at some certified dealers online. I'm not interested in anything the local dealers have available and my current sm does not wind a bobbin and I'm not interested in continuing to sink money into it (or a bobbin winder).
I'm hoping to hear from people who have ordered from certified online dealers so that I can get a better sense of what I am contemplating. Thanks!
-- Edited on 10/18/13 3:57 PM --

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

In reply to Ubik <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/19/13 0:34 AM

Have you tried Ken's Sewing Center. They are a large Janome online dealer, Juki and many other machines. There customer service is great.

kenssewingcenter.com

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

In reply to PattyGee <<

Date: 10/19/13 2:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! They do have the model I want, but it says "factory serviced". I wonder what that means? There is a note that says to give them a call to find out more. I guess I'll do that on Monday.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/19/13 1:09 PM

I have purchased one machine from Sewing Machines Plus. I've also bought other accessories from them, they are great to deal with. Check to see if they might have the model you want.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

In reply to minggiddylooloo <<

Date: 10/19/13 2:41 PM

I just called them.
They were very nice! I wish I was in southern California. I think they would be great to have as a local dealer. They don't have the model I'm looking for though. He suggested that I look at Juki, since Janome doesn't have any models in the price range I want. I remember considering Juki when I started looking around for another sm. I seem to remember that some people didn't like them. I guess I need to start over since I can't remember specifics.

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

Date: 10/19/13 5:37 PM

I have a Juki 2010q for quilting I love it. I have sewn on Juki F600 and the Juki 300 they are really nice machines. Don't discount them. There is a thread on pr on juki's you should check it out. A lot of on line dealers have a return policy, be sure to check them out. Ken's gives you 30 days to try them out and if you don't like them you pay the shipping, just be sure to check ahead of time if you do decide to order online. The shipping costs were not unreasonable. Other on-line dealers will let you return your machine but there can be a significant restocking fee. Just a thought. Good luck!

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/19/13 6:19 PM

I think you'll find lots of Juki fans on this board. I had been originally looking at some Juki machines myself but changed my mind and went with Janome because at the time of my research, certified Janome dealers and repairman outnumbered certified Juki shops.

I have the Janome equivalent of Juki's 2010 model (it used to be the TL-98Q). It's a "home" industrial machine, straight stitch only, and primarily marketed as a quilting machine because you can hook it onto a quilting frame and free-motion quilt with it. I purchased that machine from Sewing Machines Plus and they shipped it to me when I was overseas.

You should think about what kind of sewing you plan to do. I'm primarily a garment sewer and rely on a fast, perfect straight stitch for most of my projects (same for when I am piecing/quilting). We move quite frequently and I don't have a room for a true industrial machine- it is on my wishlist when we are no longer nomads.

I have a couple of machines that have a few more features like buttonholes and zig zags, and I have a serger and a coverstitch machine for other finishing needs. I don't have an interest in embroidery and know I would rarely, if ever, use any of the fancy stitches that lure a lot of people into buying a certain machine. These fancy and numerous stitch functions usually go hand in hand with price. If the sewing machine manufacturers ever make a machine with perfect straight stitch, zig zag, and various buttonhole settings and nothing else, I would be the first person in line to buy it.

So, think about your sewing interests. Yes, you want to buy a machine you'll grow into, but be honest with yourself about your needs. We have a sewing machine forum on PR where you can ask any questions about specific machines, brands, etc. There are also dedicated threads floating around for Janome, Bernina, and Juki lovers.

Good luck on your search! Just remember, there may not be just *one* perfect machine for you out there. This journey could be your descent into SMAD (Sewing Machine Addiction Disorder).

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Ubik <<

Date: 10/19/13 7:16 PM

I have purchased three machines from SewVacDirect. I have purchased one from InternetsalesUSA (I know - what a name - they used to be SewUSA), and I have purchased one from Hancock's online. ALso I have purchased quite a few things from Ken's. All these sales were good.SewVacDirect I have talked with on the phone several times as well to talk about purchasing. All these vendors are good to deal with.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 10/24/13 6:57 PM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate, and really need, the help. So far none of these vendors have my machine. Several have listed it, but when I call they say they just haven't taken the listing down yet.
But...
HSN.com has it. I'm not sure they are a certified dealer since Janome doesn't list them. Should I consider ordering from them? I've never ordered anything from them before. Maybe I'm a shopping weirdo.

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 10/24/13 8:20 PM

I purchased a Brother PC420 from HSN about 5 years ago, and was very happy. Fast shipping, lots of extras thrown-in. They have a no questions asked return policy, and their no-interest flex pay is nice. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. Good luck with your search!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Certified Online Dealers

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2005-102

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Lekala Patterns 4042

photo
by: chenille

Review
Petite Plus 601 Pattern

Petite Plus 601 Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.