SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Sewing for others... ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing for others...
MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/22/13 1:16 PM

NOT!

I started sewing in January. I have albums on my Facebook for my sewing, crochet and knitting projects. I always get a comment or two about "make one for me" and just make light of it. But yesterday, after posting my pants, an FB friend messaged me and asked, "Do you make wedding dresses or if I found one, could you customize it?"

Uhmm...NO! LOL! I do not have the skill or the desire to sew a wedding dress!

I've also had a few "friends" stop speaking to me after turning down their requests to make them something. I offered one girl the option of teaching her to do it (sew pillowcases) on MY machine but she didn't want to do that. Hmm. Interesting...you must not want those pillowcases after all!

Ahhhh. Good times.

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to MrsCharisma <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/22/13 1:48 PM

Yes that's a very slippery slope. I've wandered down a few times, enough have learn my lesson. Good thing you learned it early in your sewing

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/22/13 1:50 PM

People ask me to make things....I tell them prices. P: I haven't had anyone stop talking to me about it, I think they understand. I may give friends a "friend discount" on something like a $350 project, just pay me $300 or something? But I haven't had anyone expect me to do it for free and get upset when I explain I use my skills to pay for things like vet bills and groceries...

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

Date: 10/22/13 2:19 PM

And, I used "friends" quite loosely so really...no loss to me if you are going to stop talking to me over your expectations of me and my time!

And, genius idea. I will start quoting prices when asked! :)

------
Nakisha

GrandmaNewt
GrandmaNewt
Intermediate
Member since 6/5/10
Send Message

Date: 10/22/13 3:08 PM

Everyone I know knows that I love to sew. They also know that I absolutely hate sewing clothing for others so they don't bother to ask.

I do get quite a few requests from friends and family to repair seams, take up a hem etc. I don't mind doing that, and don't bother charging for it. My only condition is that they bring it to my house and wait while I do it. I don't provide a pick up and delivery service!

When it comes to crafty items....quilts...I always quote a fair price (usually in the $500 -$800 range) for a custom made bed quilt. And its always way more than they want to pay so I don't end up doing the project. Lately I've been making quilted purses and quite a few friends want one. I have to come up with a fair price and see how many people go for it!

rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 10/22/13 3:15 PM

I've had a couple of people ask why dont I make stuff to sell. I dont think I could work at the speed required to make a living out of it. But I might, in future, possibly make tried and tested patterns that are easy to fit to others.

I have made things for others, but they have been as presents - it feels very different to "give something" out of your own choice. I've had a lot of enjoyment from doing so.

MissParayim
star
MissParayim
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/22/12
Send Message

Date: 10/22/13 3:18 PM

Last year about this time, I got asked to make someone's kid a Halloween costume. I was so surprised since I had only been sewing for 7 or 8 months, and just laughed and said (very firmly) "No!" Then I found out later this person was offended by my reaction. oops! But I was honestly shocked at the request and didn't think before reacting.

I like sewing for other people as long as it's on my terms- I've offered to do it, the receiver has reasonable expectations of my skill level, there's plenty of time/no hard deadline.
This is my hobby, not my profession. It's my free time, and it is scarce. It's not unfair to spend it on the projects I choose to do, or to turn down requests that aren't a good match for my interest or skill level. Any friend that doesn't understand that is probably not a great friend.

------
www.missparayim.com

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

Date: 10/22/13 3:24 PM

That's the thing, I was initially very forthcoming in my "no" explanation. e.g., I don't cut out a pattern and sew it and then done...there's extensive measurements that are needed plus lots of trying on and tweaking. And I am apparently a slow sewer because most things take hours. Yet, the reaction has been to try to "talk me into it" or to get offended.

Well then I just started saying, No. I only sew for myself.

Which is mostly true...I've made a couple of baby things and my daughter has managed to get a top! :)

------
Nakisha

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<

Date: 10/22/13 3:25 PM

Quote: rmusic1
I've had a couple of people ask why dont I make stuff to sell. I dont think I could work at the speed required to make a living out of it. But I might, in future, possibly make tried and tested patterns that are easy to fit to others.

I have made things for others, but they have been as presents - it feels very different to "give something" out of your own choice. I've had a lot of enjoyment from doing so.

VERY different.

Until earlier this year, I sold my crochet items on Etsy. The 'obligation' takes a lot of the fun out of it.

------
Nakisha

Mc Donna
Mc Donna  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 1/2/10
Send Message

In reply to MissParayim <<

Date: 10/22/13 3:26 PM

Quote:
. I like sewing for other people as long as it's on my terms- I've offered to do it, the receiver has reasonable expectations of my skill level, there's plenty of time/no hard deadline. This is my hobby, not my profession. It's my free time, and it is scarce. It's not unfair to spend it on the projects I choose to do, or to turn down requests that aren't a good match for my interest or skill level. Any friend that doesn't understand that is probably not a great friend.

Well said!
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Sewing for others...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

McCall's 3944

photo
by: KathleenS

Review
Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.