SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Machines that sew a x-long basting stitch ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Machines that sew a x-long basting stitch
lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 10/23/13 8:40 AM

My machine (Bernina 830) does a long basting stitch. The problem is that I've never been able to get a long stitch that doesn't pucker the fabric. I'm so frustrated!
I took it in to the tech for adjustment and when it came home it's still having the puckering issue on lightweight and knit fabrics....no matter how low I set the top tension.
I love to baste and want to have that machine capability.
I was leaning toward the purchase of a Pfaff Performance 5.0 or a BL Crescendo but I don't believe either has an x-long stitch (or is it a manual basting stitch?)
Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 10/23/13 9:18 AM

Is your machine the vintage 830 or the newer 830E?

It has been my experience that sometimes those basting stitches don't play nicely with lightweight fabric. My computerized Berninas with the built-in basting stitch capability (a button on the control panel and not programmed stitch from the 400+ stitches available) seems to do fairly well. it is the one where the feed dogs continue but the needle doesn't go down on every-other-"stitch". (if that makes sense) The programmed basting stitch that is one of the 400+ options does not impress me.

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/23/13 9:19 AM

A mechanical Bernina 1030 does have a long basting stitch and a good mechanical is nice to have anyway. I use my mechanicals by choice a lot, though I do have a 710.
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to Doris W. in TN <<

Date: 10/23/13 9:28 AM

Thanks. Mine is the new 830LE model. And yes, I have tried the #21 stitch which is the one that skips a stitch....and don't have good results with it either. Usually I just set the stitch to the longest setting (6mm) and use that to baste, but it puckers pretty badly on lightweight cotton or knits.
I have a Bernina 530 but it's basting stitch is the one where it makes one stitch and then you have to manually move the fabric for the next stitch...I don't like that at all.
I don't know that I'd like to keep a vintage machine (such as the Bernina 1030) just for making that one stitch but it's something to consider.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/23/13 10:33 AM

Brother/BabyLock models that have directional sewing have an awesome basting stitch that goes up to 30mm.

AngieRose

AngieRose  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/1/09
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 10/23/13 11:58 AM

Some models of the Babylock/Brother sewing machines have an awesome basting stitch. Stitch #8 on both of my machines.

It is ALL automatic! Here is a basic description of how the basting stitch on these machines works. You almost have to see it to believe it!
Place your fabric under the foot. Select the length of the basting stitch. I'm not in my sewing room right now, but the stitch can be about an inch long or in shorter increments. Press the foot pedal the machine needle goes down into the fabric, makes a stitch----and then the feed dogs automatically move the fabric back under the foot the distance you have set the basting stitch---the machine automatically makes another "basting stitch"---and once again moves the fabric automatically, and this "automatic baste stitch" continues all along the length of your fabric! It is quite unique.

You don't have to do a thing! It's just like a regular sewing stitch! The fabric is moved by the machine, not by you.

-- Edited on 10/23/13 12:00 PM --

------
Angie Rose
2008 Babylock Ellisimo
2013 Brother DreamWeaver VQ3000
Bernina 1090
Singer Featherweight
2009 Prodigy Quilter Long Arm
http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 10/23/13 12:17 PM

The Bernina 1230 also has the long basting stitches, and I have never had a problem with it.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

kayco
kayco  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 6/3/12
Send Message

Date: 10/23/13 12:22 PM

My artista 730e sometimes puckers on the basting stitch but it also has selection on the main straight stitch that works the same and never puckers. The selection located in the lower left of the screen and looks like long stitches. Your 830 may have this.

------
Palace - Babylock Ovation - She makes me feel like a Princess
Cricket - Bernina Artista 730e - Steady, Smart and Sweet
Renee - Berina 1150MDA - My Tiny Dancer

SewJoyfulNV
SewJoyfulNV  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/24/13
Send Message

Date: 10/23/13 1:08 PM

The Babylock Crescendo/Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 twins do both have a very long basting stitch and it works beautifully. I have the Brother version. As Angie noted, it's stitch #8 on both machines. It gives a choice of 20, 15, 10, and 5 mm stitches. FWIW, my Bernina 880 does the long basting stitches and I've used it several times on somewhat fine fabrics. I don't seem to be having the puckering problem you describe.

------
"I sing behind the plow..."

B880, B580, B635E, B1150MDA, V7 Software, TruEmbroidery for MAC, BLEnlighten, BLCoverStitch, BL Destiny

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/23/13 1:19 PM

We discussed this earlier. The solution was a double eye sewing machine needle. Not a double needle; a single needle.

I was doubtful, so I bought one. It works!

You set the machine for the widest zz stitch and you get a straight line of long basting stitches.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Machines that sew a x-long basting stitch

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Laptop Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Laptop Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.