Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Beginner's Forum > having such a block . . . ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
having such a block . . .
demoiselle
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11
Login to reply to this post

Date: 10/23/13 11:34 AM

I was so unhappy with the last thing I tried to make for myself (that simple top from this summer) that I'm having a hard time getting myself to move forward enthusiastically with another project. At this point, I have my pattern pieces traced for my Simplicity 3750, and I just look at it and think "Why bother? I won't be able to make it fit anyway."

What do you do when you get to this point? I know it's just a hump that I need to get past. Still I keep looking at the pattern with pessimism and the certainty that I won't be able to make it work.

------
Yes, I started a blog.
http://demoiselledesigns.wordpress.com/

LDT2011
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11

In reply to demoiselle <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/23/13 11:42 AM

Quote: demoiselle
I was so unhappy with the last thing I tried to make for myself (that simple top from this summer) that I'm having a hard time getting myself to move forward enthusiastically with another project. At this point, I have my pattern pieces traced for my Simplicity 3750, and I just look at it and think "Why bother? I won't be able to make it fit anyway."

What do you do when you get to this point? I know it's just a hump that I need to get past. Still I keep looking at the pattern with pessimism and the certainty that I won't be able to make it work.

If you follow this link and scroll down. that green dress is my first ever attempt at fit and sewing. Erm....its terrible. That was in september 2011. Its taken me till october 2013 to actually start to feel I can do an acceptable fit.
A lot of this is down to a) making those mistakes. You have to do some trial an error. b) making myself a dress form
IT makes it so much easier to see what needs altering. I now know my shoulders are wonkey which explains a lot. Also you can do draping with a dress form...which means no tedious adjustments to flat patterns you can pin and adjust as you go.

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 10/23/13 11:50 AM

That's why we make "muslins". Once you get the basics of what you need, it usually is simple from there on.

Why do you trace your patterns? Have you ever tried pivot and slide?

Maybe the last pattern was just a bugger to begin with.

Read your blog and you know all of this already, so all you need is to look forward and not back because that is how we trip and fall.

-- Edited on 10/23/13 1:28 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

showell
showell
Member since 8/8/12

thumbsup 3 members like this.
Date: 10/23/13 12:59 PM

when I have an epic fail, I need a quick fix of something I KNOW will have a good outcome. Usually my fail has to do with clothing and my quick fix is a bag of some type. I always get back in the swing with SUCCESS!

aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12

Date: 10/23/13 4:13 PM

Yeah. No mojo... or just overwhelmed...
I would usually make something I know will work, like a dog bed. Easy and doesn't take too long, unless I want it to. That usually reminds me I like sewing, so the mojo returns.

I generally get this feeling when I look at the pile of unsuccessful stuff I've managed to make .... but it's all a learning curve.

I'd second the dummy, duct tape ones are great IMO... worth thinking about if fitting is the real bug-bear. It's quite fun to make one and when it's done you'll actually be anxious to make something so you can try it out. Win - win :)

-- Edited on 10/23/13 4:15 PM --

demoiselle
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11

Date: 10/23/13 6:30 PM

[double post]
-- Edited on 10/23/13 6:50 PM --

------
Yes, I started a blog.

demoiselle
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11

Date: 10/23/13 6:30 PM

Yeah, I'm fairly new, so though I've got a couple skirts that I made that are nice, I don't actually have any "TNT" patterns that I feel is a sure-fire success. I find I've got the nagging feeling, every time I sit down to work on my current project, that it just isn't going to work.

Maybe I need to try a different project, but I do want to make a successful top and this is the only one I have fabric purchased for.

I finished tracing pieces, trimmed them, and tried to tissue fit. I still worry that it will be too large, though at least the waist seems to hit in the right place. I haven't yet found tissue fitting to be useful--the tissue is always too stiff, and I can't see myself very well.

I guess that a duct-tape dummy might be in order. We shall see.
-- Edited on 10/23/13 6:31 PM --

------
Yes, I started a blog.

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 11/14/11

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/23/13 7:58 PM

A few things...

1. It's something that takes trial and error (as someone else said). You're going to have projects that don't turn out the way you want. I, in fact, just threw away about 4 shirts I made in the past that we fitting DISASTERS! I kept them in the closet for over a year thinking I might go back and fix them or something, but realized it was just part of the learning process. Enjoy this process, it's fun to experiment.
2. Buy a fitting book or take a fitting class. Either at a local sewing place or craftsy or something like that. This will help give you the skills and confidence you're lacking.
3. Pick another project. If you're not into this project, pick something new! You need to be excited to make something, not just because it's there. You can set that aside until later. Make something simple, like a bag or a simpler top or something and have some fun!
4. Make a muslin. Buy cheapo fabric, cut up some old sheets or drapes, whatever you have around. This will help you immensely. I agree that tissue fitting is a PITA, so don't bother, make a muslin. You don't have to cut out all the pieces, just the main ones to adjust fit.
5. Now, go buy a pattern you LIKE and some fabric you LOVE and have some fun!!!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

LDT2011
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11

Date: 10/24/13 4:53 AM

Quote: demoiselle
Yeah, I'm fairly new, so though I've got a couple skirts that I made that are nice, I don't actually have any "TNT" patterns that I feel is a sure-fire success. I find I've got the nagging feeling, every time I sit down to work on my current project, that it just isn't going to work.

Maybe I need to try a different project, but I do want to make a successful top and this is the only one I have fabric purchased for.

I finished tracing pieces, trimmed them, and tried to tissue fit. I still worry that it will be too large, though at least the waist seems to hit in the right place. I haven't yet found tissue fitting to be useful--the tissue is always too stiff, and I can't see myself very well.

I guess that a duct-tape dummy might be in order. We shall see.
-- Edited on 10/23/13 6:31 PM --

I tried to start with tops and dresses and failed...so went back to basics with an a-line skirt. IT gave me confidence again. Its the whole running before walking thing.
Sometimes even its good to get your basic pattern and try it in different fabrics...make it over and over then it becomes your TNT. You don't get a TNT by making it just once. ;)

Keep going don't give up.

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

demoiselle
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 10/24/13 5:02 PM

I made a muslin of the front of my top. First time gathering, etc. I still need to sew together the back, but I pin-fit the remaining pieces and it appears that my fears were unwarented this time. It fits pretty well--just a little extra fabric in the back which could easily disappear into the center back seam.

All smiles now. I told myself to work for just 20 minutes, and four hours later I had overcome my "block."

------
Yes, I started a blog.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> having such a block . . .

Merchants on PR
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing Basics
Fee: $14.99
(Regular $14.99)
Sewing Basics

McCall's 8550
photo
Review by ShereeSews on 6/17/03
Read Review

Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern
Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Wonder Wallet
Wonder Wallet

Details
Price: $7.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver S School Days Jacket & Coat Digital Pattern( Size 6m-3T )
Oliver   S School Days Jacket & Coat Digital Pattern( Size 6m-3T )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Classic T-Strap Booties Digital Pattern ( Size 3-18 mos )
Peek-A Boo Classic T-Strap Booties Digital Pattern ( Size 3-18 mos )

Details
Price: $3.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewaholic Patterns 1201 Renfrew Top
photo
Review by laurajanef... on 11/21/13
Read Review

Butterick 5965 Pattern ( Size 18W-20W-22W-24W )
Butterick 5965 Pattern ( Size 18W-20W-22W-24W )

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6886 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
McCalls 6886 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN