SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > getting even hems and pockets...what's the trick? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
getting even hems and pockets...what's the trick?
Jenniel73
Jenniel73
Advanced Beginner
District of Columbia USA
Member since 10/19/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/23/13 3:17 PM

Hi all. I'm a new sewer. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get even folds to press under when making pockets and hems. For instance I'm working on my 6 year olds halloween costume. it is a cheerleading uniform so i'm using a thick knit (polyester?). The instructions said to fold under a 1/4 inch and press. I couldn't get the folds to stay, even when pressed! so when i went to sew i had to try and hold the fold which as you might imagine ended up in quite a mess.

I have similar issues when trying to construct pockets. How do you fold to such a little measurement in order to create the outer edges????

I stink and keeping hems straight as well.

I've done a bunch of google searches and library book reading and nothing seems to work!

Thanks in advance!

------
Jennie, Washington DC

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 10/23/13 3:32 PM

Here's one ingenious tip about getting pockets right, from Pam Erny's blog: Perfect Pockets

And another: Twin Pockets

------
Debbie

Jenniel73
Jenniel73
Advanced Beginner
District of Columbia USA
Member since 10/19/13
Send Message

Date: 10/23/13 4:17 PM

Those are both good ideas but how in the world you keep those little tiny edges from becoming uneven during the press process???

------
Jennie, Washington DC

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

In reply to Jenniel73 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/23/13 4:17 PM

Well, for folding to the little edges, I use a seam gauge to get the perfect (tiny) amount, usually about a quarter inch, as you said. (Well, to be honest, at this point I've done it enough that I can eyeball it and know what is 1/4". But in the beginning I always used a seam gauge.) And then I use a chopstick to hold it in place while I press. I have also always pressed with an iron as hot as the fabric will safely allow.

Now for keeping hems straight, again, there may be a more modern knack or nifty tool for it, but I use the old-fashioned method. I hem at my ironing board. I stand there with the item to be hemmed, the hot iron, and the seam gauge or hem gauge, and just work my way around, bringing the fabric to the proper hem depth and pressing it firmly into place. For some fabrics, I may use pins to help hold the hem in place. I've used hem clips (but for me, it was just one extra step).

If there's a lot of fabric or it's slippery or in some other way it's a tricky hem to keep even, you might consider investing in one of those chalk hem markers. It helps when you have no one else to help you mark the hem while you're wearing the garment. It's a handy device that marks the hem evenly all around the fabric with a little "puff" of chalk. You would just want to stand quite still as you were marking.

KathleenS
starstar
KathleenS  Friend of PR
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/18/02
Send Message

Date: 10/23/13 4:45 PM

It sounds like your fabric is not helping. A cotton would press much more nicely. You could do a line of stitching along the intended fold line before you press which acts as a sort of crease and may help. Using a damp press cloth for steam may help too. Otherwise I would baste the mini-hem in place by hand before stitching (and then remove the basting).

aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/23/13 5:07 PM

There's a sewing tool called a 'clapper' that helps with pressing. After you press/steam you put it down on the just ironed bit of fabric for a little while.
I don't have one but on occasion I've used my sleeve board as a makeshift one, placing it upside down onto the fabric, and it really does help get a nice press. Now and again I've even used my lower arm (yes, my arm), though I don't recommend this as you could get burned.
If loads of pins and good pressing didn't get the fabric to behave I might resort to a little fusible hemming tape to keep it together for sewing.

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 10/23/13 5:07 PM

I assume this is a patch pocket. I've pretty much given up on the "fold over the edges and press" method. I do some variation of a double-layer pocket, similar to this Two-minute Patch Pocket tutorial.

You do not need to use the same poly knit for the inside of the pocket. You can use anything you have on hand, preferably something lighter or thinner.

CMC

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Subject: getting even hems and pockets...whats the trick? Date: 10/23/13 5:27 PM

For turning the edges for patch pockets (and for hems), I use a ruler and chalk mark on the wrong side a line twice the depth of the seam, then fold up to the chalk mark and press. Sometimes I pin, but a glue stick or Wash-a-Way Wonder tape can also help.

Or you can line the pocket. Or you can use the tip about Twin Pockets, press well, then separate the pockets and discard one. It's not much fabric, after all!
-- Edited on 10/23/13 5:28 PM --

------
Debbie

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: getting even hems and pockets...whats the trick? Date: 10/23/13 9:08 PM

I take a different approach. I line the pockets using a 1/4 inch seam. I leave a few inches open to turn the pocket but basically sew it all around. Turn the pocket and press and that's it, a lot less fussy, IMO. Besides, lined pockets feel really nice.

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

In reply to 0 <<

Date: 10/23/13 9:51 PM

Quote: bunnypn
I take a different approach. I line the pockets using a 1/4 inch seam. I leave a few inches open to turn the pocket but basically sew it all around. Turn the pocket and press and that's it, a lot less fussy, IMO. Besides, lined pockets feel really nice.

Simple....but genius!

This is wonderful. Thank you!

::mumbles to self:: Now why didn't I think of this after more than a decade of sewing?
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> getting even hems and pockets...what's the trick?

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Burda 7192

photo
by: Victoria B

Review
Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 90mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Other Geeky Sweetheart Wrap Bag

photo
by: shannie

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.