SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Embroidering with Metallic Thread ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Embroidering with Metallic Thread
Machine settings? Needle? Which Thread Spool to use?
Linda
Linda  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

Date: 10/29/13 1:51 AM

Hey anyone.....I have the Ellisimo BLSO. I've not embroidered with metallic threads. Can anyone give any suggestions as far as needle size, brand of thread, which thread spool holder to use, etc.? I just purchased the 10 spool thread guide that fits on the back of the machine....wondering if it can be used for the metallic thread or if I should us one of the other thread guides..Any suggestions from anyone would be so appreciated.

Linda

------
Linda Ann

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

Date: 10/29/13 6:52 AM

I've successfully used metallic threads by using a metallic thread needle, slowing down the speed of the machine, and using a specialty thread stand like this: metallic thread holder
The key thing is you want the thread to come off the spool without kinking on itself. You can also try using a styrofoam packing peanut, put a hole through it, and run your metallic thread through the hole as it comes off the spool.

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to clt3 <<

Date: 10/29/13 8:04 AM

This one is new to me. Wondering what it costs as I am thinking of gifting my daughter with a stand. I swear by my martelli thread spinner on my single needle machine which does something similar to this though it is costly. There's a video online at their website. I have also seen a home made type thread stand online someplace that someone used the center of a fan to construct so the spool turned freely. Wish I could find it again but didn't carry over my favorites on the new computer. Those spools turning make a huge difference. I also bought one of those wonder things from Nancy's notions before I bought the martelli that will stand either vertically or horizontally,it was an improvement but I had some large cones that wouldn't fit. Whenever I use any thread on my single needle machines I use the thread spinner now,bought the larger one later so I could use the large cones of metro that shredded too much to use and bargain cones of metallic from a factory. I used to have all sorts of trouble with those and metallics. I had tried all the usual fixes like loosening upper tension, packaging peanut, large eyed needle, thread lub, etc. and they helped but that spool spinning freely was the magic bullet. I had given up on metallic and metro as I did bad things to my machines breaking needles like putting one through the bobbin race and destroying the needle plate with a gouge that couldn't be filed out and one metallic adventure resulted in the timing being off. I have to spend a day taking in a machine plus going to get it on another and the services are over a hundred plus parts so the martelli didn't seem that expensive when I looked at it in that light. Bonus was the large cone metro collection I got and couldn't use works fine with the spool turning. I really like the link posted above as the spools turn freely and go straight into the machine which prevents a lot of the aggravation. The martelli video claims that thread is actually flat rather than round and should unwind into the machine path to stop those awful metallic kinks.My dh kept promising to make me one similar to the baby lock device but I'm still waiting on that after several years. I wanted one that was the level of the guide going into the machine, a smaller dowel that the spool could turn on, and the spool could be reversed if needed and vertical and horizontal spools. I haven't needed to do any of that so far with my spinner so quit bugging him.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/29/13 8:13 AM

http://www.martellinotions.com/videos/My Webpage
Don't know if the links will work I am a klutz with computer stuff. There are other videos on this site that I am going to view ,seems the spinners are out of stock but might be found online elsewhere or something similar fashioned if unavailable. The babylock might work as well I don't know.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy <<

Date: 10/29/13 10:29 AM

If this or this one, they are way too much money for the home machine embroiderer.

Using the peanut is an old stand-by.

Here is a tutorial for using metallic thread and the set up will not cost a thing except, maybe, giving up your favorite coffee mug!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Linda
Linda  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

Date: 10/29/13 8:50 PM

Thanks to all for the very helpful replies!
Linda

------
Linda Ann

rubbecca

rubbecca
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/25/08
Send Message

Date: 10/29/13 11:33 PM

I just put the metallic thread on an el cheapo thread stand from JoAnn Fabrics and it works for me. I may turn down the top tension a bit.

------
Janome Sewist 509
Rebranded Kenmore 19233/Janome DC 5100
Janome MyLock 644D
Janome CoverPro 1000CP
Brother PE 700II (traded)
Brother DreamMaker VE 2200

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy <<

Date: 10/30/13 6:02 AM

I bought it a couple of years ago, but I think it was about $30.

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

In reply to clt3 <<

Date: 10/30/13 8:34 AM

I just cut the bottom out of a pop (soda) bottle, place it over the spool and thread the thread through the bottle top opening. The size of the bottle depends on the size of the thread spool.
Definitely stitch s-l-o-w-l-y!

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 10/30/13 9:14 AM

I never had success with the peanut. Did the mug thing too, the wonder stand, the cone stands (fine for most embroidery thread but didn't help with metallic, did nets , thread lub, and loosening tension, holding thread between fingers,St large eyed embroidery needles, slowing machines all with so so results. Several home embroiderers even have gammils sitting in their studios and have more than the commercial shop down town in dollar investments so I don't think it's fair to say a home studio can't have these if desired. The home machines and the multi needle that have come here have cost thousands of dollars and their service trips are $150 plus two ruined days and a road trip to take in so I thought the price wasn't that terrible. Not for everyone but I wanted carefree metallic sewing and this gadget did the trick for me. In fact it worked so well I use them entirely if using a single needle machine. In the 1970s I sewed from factory cones with a screw eye above the machine in a cabinet and have done all sorts of gerry rigging with thread stands and metallica. I had such good luck with the spinners that I can now even use some factory metallic cones in fashion colors that I couldn't use at all. Some have fashioned their own with centers of fans but I had already tossed one that had died when I read of this and dh still hasn't made one I designed several years ago. Babylock has some new thread gadget tower on their website that the spools can rotate on the spindles though they are not on ball bearings. I have no idea of its price. I quit sewing with metallics after the Christmas that not only did I have to replace my throat plate but had to get a bobbin race both of which couldn't be filed enough to use and had to have the timing checked with a bill of $300+ so these didn't seem so expensive in my eyes. Yes those are the spinners I have that you linked to, they seem to be sold out so some other people must have thought they were worth it. I have a multi needle, but don't have that much trouble on it. I do not sew metallics on it though I have just use the single needles here and the thread spinners. My large cone collection of metro I had decided was unusable sews with no shredding breakage on the spinners so that definitely made the purchase worthwhile. I do think anyone interested who is handy could fashion some sort on their own so it was just an idea I tossed out. Not for everyone perhaps but so worth it for me to have carefree stitching and not be rethreading and getting damage from thread breaks. Wish I had purchased long before I did. The commercial shops don't want these as they have primarily multi needle machines so I assume they are meant for single needle users.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Embroidering with Metallic Thread

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

The Smuggler's Daughter

Online Fabric Store
Web site

Victoria Jones Collection

Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 118496-1000

photo
by: Leslee

Review
Vogue Patterns 8626

photo
by: wenznz

Review
Sew Liberated The Emmeline Apron

Sew Liberated The Emmeline Apron

Buy Now
SewBaby Easy Pieces Jumper Pattern

SewBaby Easy Pieces Jumper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.