Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Hormone cycling after menopause? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hormone cycling after menopause?
cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 10/29/13 5:43 PM

This is something I will have to talk with my DR. about at some point, maybe. I love the ole Guy, but he is not a girl, so I would rather have input from you ladies, as well as having to address this with him.

I am 5 yrs. past menopause. Diagnosed with a fibroid uterus. No surprise to me. I knew for years something was not perfect and since it did not cause me any major discomfort, and all my reading says that past menopause fibroids frequently begin to go away or at least lessen, I decided against complete hysterectomy. So I have all the original parts.

Do you think, or have you had experience with, there is a possibility that menopausal ovaries can still produce hormone cycles? I mean ones that can influence moods?

I am trying hard to make distinctions between my depression and something that may not be depression. It may be hormones. I mean, it comes on me just the way premenstrual upsets used to. Wake up one morning feeling like Saskwatch, but by noon or maybe the next day, and a few Ibuprofen, feeling half way "normal".

And it can be weeks apart when these days occur. I just started today keeping a calendar in hopes of finding some pattern.

Today I am trying to fight it off and "discipline" myself to be productive. All I want to do is read by the fire and do just the necessary stuff...food, breathing. Doing that once in a few weeks does not seem like a bad thing. Maybe it is exactly what is needed and I don't need discipline, but a day of relaxation.

This may be risking too much information, I know. You have all been kind and helpful whenever you can, so I don't mind risking it here.

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 2/20/12

In reply to cinca <<

Date: 10/29/13 6:19 PM

I am several years past menopause also, and agree that about once a month I feel "hormonal"...the hunger, the mood, the exhaustion. I have also, in the past, experienced menstrual synchronicity ( when you and the women around you seem to have synchronized cycles within a couple of days of one another). So it comes as no surprise to me that my hormones flip out around the same time as my daughter's cycle...and my daughter rarely, if ever, has the mood swings, so it doesn't seem to be that she is emotionally influencing me. I figure it takes a LONG while before one is free of the hormone roller coaster.

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 4/12/05

Date: 10/29/13 6:42 PM

Have you had your vitamin d level checked? This sound like you might need more of it. I get the same way and that is because mine has gotten too low again.

It is worth a try.

------
I am a Quilter at heart. I love to play with fabrics, patterns and colors. Recently I have discovered I enjoy doing applique. I love making pictures. Using a sewing machine is much easier than counted cross stitch or oil painting for me. I enjoy landscape quilting as well. I am working on my first applique project in the spring of 2014.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11

In reply to Changma <<

Date: 10/29/13 7:00 PM

Sounds very familiar. If it is "just" hormonal, it will be a lot less upsetting for me and easier to deal with. My calendar should tell if there is a pattern, but have to wait a few months for that to show anything. Thanks for talking with me.

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 10/29/13 7:03 PM

No, I have not. I just made the assumption that my D levels would be ok, because I take the calcium with the D in it almost everyday. Although that is not a guarantee, if I am not absorbing it or have some other issue which could cause a deficiency even though I take the supplement.

You are right. It is worth a try. It should not be too difficult to arrange, so I should do it, and rule that out, if possible.

Thanks for the advice.
-- Edited on 10/29/13 7:04 PM --

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05

In reply to cinca <<

Date: 10/29/13 7:11 PM

The first thing I thought when I read your post was that it very well could be a vitamin/mineral deficiency. A Vitamin D3 (actually a precusor hormone) deficiency has been linked to depression, and it's been said that almost all Americans are not getting enough magnesium (also implicated in depression). 5000iu's per day of vitamin D3 is not unusual. It's always best to get vitamin D3 made from fish liver oil, but it's very difficult to find. I guess most are from lanolin, but it's better than nothing. Not all magnesium supplements are created equal, either. Do your research on both before purchasing. The brand and price pretty much determine the quality. Magnesium dosage is individual, and it's usually recommended to take as much as your body can tolerate.......to diarrhea, then back off a little. Try to stay away from name brand vitamins because they're synthetic. Get your supplements from a reputable health food store, either locally or online. Here's a site on magnesium you might find helpful. Click here. Good luck.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to cinca <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/29/13 7:14 PM

Even though the cessation of periods for a certain length of time is the marker point for menopause, we still continue producing some form of estrogen for a number of years (partly due to the way stored fat behaves metabolically), and in addition, a part of the brain called the hypothalamus continues to 'read' various hormone levels in the body. From the time when you were eleven or twelve, every cell in your body was bathed in estrogen, and rather suddenly, when you are fifty-something (on average) that hormone is almost absent. Your body and brain say, "Huh? Come again?"

From time to time, the hypothalamus, sensing the deficit of reproductive hormones, will send out frantic signals to the now-tired ovaries to make some more hormone, please, which, due to age, ain't going to happen.

Psychological disturbances can indeed result from all this, as described here.

These problems are related to the fact that, evolutionarily speaking, most of our way-distant foremothers were simply dead long before the age of fifty-something, and our biology has not changed enough to keep up with our much longer lifespans these days.

-- Edited on 10/29/13 7:18 PM --

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11

In reply to ccris <<

Date: 10/29/13 7:33 PM

Thank You. I am taking magnesium, but not enough of it and the wrong kind according to the article.

What happened to Julian with his DR is what I want to avoid. It is one reason I wanted to check here, as well. I don't need more pharmaceuticals.

There is a good health food store in the next town. I am sure they will have the right kind of magnesium.

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11

In reply to Elona <<

Date: 10/29/13 7:43 PM

Thank You for the article. I will need to read it again, as it has so much information. They seem to focus mainly on the process of menopause rather than post-menopause, but it makes sense for the same types of disruptions to take place in post-menopause.

edited to add: The article mentions that onset of menopause can raise the Luteinizing Hormone, causing the body temperature to rise.

My eye doctor recommended Lutein for my eyes, but in a small dose. My recent eye exam showed improvement in the connective tissues. Hopefully this low dose of Lutein is not related to my hot flashes.
-- Edited on 10/29/13 7:57 PM --

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to ccris <<

Date: 10/29/13 8:01 PM

Quote:
Magnesium dosage is individual, and it's usually recommended to take as much as your body can tolerate.......to diarrhea, then back off a little.

Magnesium Citrate can cause diarrhea, but Magnesium Glycinate should not cause diarrhea.

Luckily Magnesium Citrate is inexpensive even in good brands, Magnesium Glycinate is more expensive.

Op I would get your B12 checked too. It can be linked to depression, memory loss and much more.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Hormone cycling after menopause?

Merchants on PR
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Jackets
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Jackets

Textile Studio 1407
photo
Review by Patti B on 4/24/05
Read Review

Sis Boom Ethan Shirt Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Ethan Shirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Sweetheart Halter Digital Pattern ( Size 6 mo -12 years )
Peek-A Boo Sweetheart Halter Digital Pattern ( Size 6 mo -12 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2008-117 Petite Dress
photo
Review by creative1 on 12/2/08
Read Review

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket
Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Details
Price: $18.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Christine Jonson Travel Trio One
Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

Details
Price: $20.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1878 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Simplicity 1878 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8048 Pattern ( Size 34-36-38-40 )
Vogue 8048 Pattern ( Size 34-36-38-40 )

Details
Price: $22.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN