SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Is there another name for fagotting? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Is there another name for fagotting?
Tailypo
starstarstar
Tailypo
California USA
Member since 8/6/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/29/13 6:43 PM

I am wearing a lovely store-bought skirt that always fetches comments and conversation because it has an unusual double fagotted border. Does anyone know if there is another name for fagotting? If there isn't one, I think we should make one up

Otherwise I feel very silly saying, "Yes, thank you, I think it is lovely too, but I can't possibly tell you what it is called in polite company!"

------
messymethodsewing.wordpress.com

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/29/13 7:00 PM

I really dislike that word too.

I have described it as a bundle of sticks to non-sewers, but I would call it by its proper name if I was talking to somebody that sews. As much as it pains me to say the word, it is the proper name (as far as I know at least).

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Tailypo <<

Date: 10/29/13 7:29 PM

Well, etymology-wise, here ya go.

Personally, I think it's a bit sketchy, but it may have something to do with the idea of binding together a bunch of sticks to use for making a fire.

There is also a negative connotation related to sexual preferences, but frankly I am at a loss on that one. Here's
more.
-- Edited on 10/29/13 7:31 PM --

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Date: 10/29/13 7:33 PM

No, I don't think there's another name, but maybe we could try to get "trellis hem-stitched" to catch on? The trellis stitch in crocheting is also called mesh-stitch and is the basis for Irish lace crochet; looks like netting, in a diamond, triangle or square pattern. Fagotting looks like a single row of the square mesh stitching. I know several types of decorative stitches are called trellis stitching, but I don't think it's been applied to hem-stitching.

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 1 - woohoo! finished my oldest UFO - an apron cut out in the mid-80s with a pattern from the mid-40s! and the bias binding promptly disintegrated in the wash! Ok, it was from my Great-Grandmother's stash, which means it was bought anytime from the 1910's to 1970's.
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 4
New Projects started in 2014: 5
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 5
bought in 2014: 17.25

I know...I'm procrastinating.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to Tailypo <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/29/13 7:37 PM

It's also known as bridging.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 10/29/13 8:34 PM

Is it like this:

This website calls it "twisted insertion stitch," and it's also very similar to a type of hemstitching whose name completely escapes me at the moment... despite the gazillion of times I've done it. (Although it's done differently--the fagoting/insertion is a seam effect to join two pieces of fabric, while the hemstitch is a decorative drawn thread embroidery stitch... anyway. They look similar, and the name might be more user-friendly... If I could remember it!)

------
~Gem in the prairie

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

thumbsup 21 members like this.

Date: 10/29/13 9:57 PM

In certain segments of the heirloom sewing community this is called Spanish Hemstitch. Personally I am tired of "political correctness" and really would prefer to use the traditional name for this stitch. FWiW, I love fagotting and think it is a beautiful stitch particularly on linen.

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to 0 <<
thumbsup 18 members like this.

Date: 10/30/13 0:34 AM

I'm with you. It's called fagoting so why change it? It's like the person who got into big trouble for calling, I believe it was the US president's health reforms, niggardly, when that word bears no relationship to the other, very offensive, n word. The words aren't even spelt the same, let alone have the same meaning. Niggardly should not be excised from the English language, nor should fagoting. If someone complains they have a wog, I assume they're referring to a bug and not me. On the other hand, if they were to call me a wog (as a person from a non English speaking background) they would get clobbered over the head. Context is everything.

Tailypo
starstarstar
Tailypo
California USA
Member since 8/6/03
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 10/30/13 1:32 AM

Well, I suppose the difference is that the root of the word niggardly is niggard, whereas the root of the word fagotting is really and truly faggot. Not meant in a hurtful way, in fact completely devoid of intention, but it is an absurd word to have tumble out of your mouth -- perhaps especially here in San Francisco, where the odds are the person who asked about the detail on your skirt will be a gay guy!

------
messymethodsewing.wordpress.com

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 10/30/13 2:09 AM

I'm from the "old school" of pre-"politically correct", and I too say leave it. I love the term as it denotes a method from an earlier time in our life when people actually sewed everything by hand. (as I'm sure some of you renfair-ers do!). If one were to remove all the seemingly "negative" words from our dictionary, (such as niggardly), we wouldn't have a language and a very small dictionary. Tailypo, if you're concerned, especially because you live in San Francisco, you might want to gently smile with your head lowered and explain.

I remember waaay long ago, when the Beatles first came to town and all the mags talked about them smoking "fags".

I didn't know about wog; but I've used the word "wop" from time to time, as in "wopping" someone, or a "whopper". So would that make me politically un-correct?

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Is there another name for fagotting?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Other 926 Rocking Horse Farms

photo
by: SewNikki

Review
McCall's 4936

photo
by: lauramae

Review
Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern

Buy Now
Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.