SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Is there another name for fagotting? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Is there another name for fagotting?
Tailypo
starstarstar
Tailypo
California USA
Member since 8/6/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/29/13 6:43 PM

I am wearing a lovely store-bought skirt that always fetches comments and conversation because it has an unusual double fagotted border. Does anyone know if there is another name for fagotting? If there isn't one, I think we should make one up

Otherwise I feel very silly saying, "Yes, thank you, I think it is lovely too, but I can't possibly tell you what it is called in polite company!"

------
messymethodsewing.wordpress.com

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/29/13 7:00 PM

I really dislike that word too.

I have described it as a bundle of sticks to non-sewers, but I would call it by its proper name if I was talking to somebody that sews. As much as it pains me to say the word, it is the proper name (as far as I know at least).

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Tailypo <<

Date: 10/29/13 7:29 PM

Well, etymology-wise, here ya go.

Personally, I think it's a bit sketchy, but it may have something to do with the idea of binding together a bunch of sticks to use for making a fire.

There is also a negative connotation related to sexual preferences, but frankly I am at a loss on that one. Here's
more.
-- Edited on 10/29/13 7:31 PM --

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Date: 10/29/13 7:33 PM

No, I don't think there's another name, but maybe we could try to get "trellis hem-stitched" to catch on? The trellis stitch in crocheting is also called mesh-stitch and is the basis for Irish lace crochet; looks like netting, in a diamond, triangle or square pattern. Fagotting looks like a single row of the square mesh stitching. I know several types of decorative stitches are called trellis stitching, but I don't think it's been applied to hem-stitching.

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 1 - woohoo! finished my oldest UFO - an apron cut out in the mid-80s with a pattern from the mid-40s! and the bias binding promptly disintegrated in the wash! Ok, it was from my Great-Grandmother's stash, which means it was bought anytime from the 1910's to 1970's.
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 4
New Projects started in 2014: 5
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 5
bought in 2014: 17.25

I know...I'm procrastinating.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to Tailypo <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 10/29/13 7:37 PM

It's also known as bridging.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 10/29/13 8:34 PM

Is it like this:

This website calls it "twisted insertion stitch," and it's also very similar to a type of hemstitching whose name completely escapes me at the moment... despite the gazillion of times I've done it. (Although it's done differently--the fagoting/insertion is a seam effect to join two pieces of fabric, while the hemstitch is a decorative drawn thread embroidery stitch... anyway. They look similar, and the name might be more user-friendly... If I could remember it!)

------
~Gem in the prairie

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

thumbsup 21 members like this.

Date: 10/29/13 9:57 PM

In certain segments of the heirloom sewing community this is called Spanish Hemstitch. Personally I am tired of "political correctness" and really would prefer to use the traditional name for this stitch. FWiW, I love fagotting and think it is a beautiful stitch particularly on linen.

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
Send Message

In reply to 0 <<
thumbsup 18 members like this.

Date: 10/30/13 0:34 AM

I'm with you. It's called fagoting so why change it? It's like the person who got into big trouble for calling, I believe it was the US president's health reforms, niggardly, when that word bears no relationship to the other, very offensive, n word. The words aren't even spelt the same, let alone have the same meaning. Niggardly should not be excised from the English language, nor should fagoting. If someone complains they have a wog, I assume they're referring to a bug and not me. On the other hand, if they were to call me a wog (as a person from a non English speaking background) they would get clobbered over the head. Context is everything.

Tailypo
starstarstar
Tailypo
California USA
Member since 8/6/03
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 10/30/13 1:32 AM

Well, I suppose the difference is that the root of the word niggardly is niggard, whereas the root of the word fagotting is really and truly faggot. Not meant in a hurtful way, in fact completely devoid of intention, but it is an absurd word to have tumble out of your mouth -- perhaps especially here in San Francisco, where the odds are the person who asked about the detail on your skirt will be a gay guy!

------
messymethodsewing.wordpress.com

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 10/30/13 2:09 AM

I'm from the "old school" of pre-"politically correct", and I too say leave it. I love the term as it denotes a method from an earlier time in our life when people actually sewed everything by hand. (as I'm sure some of you renfair-ers do!). If one were to remove all the seemingly "negative" words from our dictionary, (such as niggardly), we wouldn't have a language and a very small dictionary. Tailypo, if you're concerned, especially because you live in San Francisco, you might want to gently smile with your head lowered and explain.

I remember waaay long ago, when the Beatles first came to town and all the mags talked about them smoking "fags".

I didn't know about wog; but I've used the word "wop" from time to time, as in "wopping" someone, or a "whopper". So would that make me politically un-correct?

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Is there another name for fagotting?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 7696 OOP

photo
by: redside

Review
10 inch Professional Shears

10 inch Professional Shears

More Info
Islander Sewing Systems Irish Coat Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Irish Coat Pattern Pattern

More Info
Simplicity OOP 3841

photo
by: QueenBeeOn...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.