SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Opinions please on print fabric choice for dress ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Opinions please on print fabric choice for dress
determined
determined
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/29/12
Send Message

Date: 10/30/13 10:47 PM

I have this pattern for a shift dress with side panels and pockets that I have been wanting to make for awhile now BurdaStyle 116

I found this fabric on Gorgeous Fabrics , but I am not sure if the print would look funny because of the panels on the dress. Blue print

I have tried looking online at other print shift dresses but none have similar seams. Would love to hear people's opinions.

Also- would a fabric like this need to be lined? If so, what would I use to line it?

Thanks!

mendospot

mendospot  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 6/9/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/30/13 11:18 PM

I think the fabric is lovely but with all the seams on the pattern, it seems like it would chop up the print. I'd save that fabric for something with fewer pieces.

Amy-may
star
Amy-may
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 6/7/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/31/13 0:00 AM

I would save the interesting seaming for a boring solid. And I'd save the neat print for a pattern with fewer seams to mess up the design.

TGWGWS
TGWGWS  Friend of PR
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 8/15/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/31/13 0:58 AM

If you tried to use this fabric to make this dress, it would be a challenge to line up the design across the dress and would take extra fabric to try to match the design. As far as lining it, since the website did not list a fabric weight or give an idea of the fabric thickness, I would order a swatch and see how thin the fabric is before deciding if a lining was necessary.

------
Tina
------
I do not weep at the world I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife.
zora neal hurston

Viking Rose
Elna 945
Brother PE-770

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 10/31/13 8:39 AM

I don't think I agree with the others; I think this fabric would work fine. Not matching the pattern across the seams would highlight the seams more. Getting some extra fabric would allow you to use a distinctive portion of the fabric print (either centering the bold or centering the paler medallion for each side panel) for each side panel & pocket section.

It really depends on what you want!

I don't like the print they used with this dress because it hides the seaming. Either a solid or a more interesting print appeals to me more.

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

cindyann
starstar
cindyann  Friend of PR
Florida USA
Member since 8/5/02
Send Message

Date: 10/31/13 9:29 AM

I think you could use it if you were careful about pattern placement like Anne suggested. I think I'd like to see this dress in a solid with contrast piping, though. It would really highlight the terrific seaming on this dress. Very cute pattern, btw. Perfect for warmer weather or with a sweater when it cools off. Still in the mid to upper 80's here in S. Florida.......

------

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

Date: 10/31/13 10:01 AM

Check out the Sheridan French clothing line. It has dresses in big patterns and small patterns, but it is as noted before. The best dresses for a large pattern is the simplest ones, with the least seaming.

sheridanfrench.com/‎

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

IreneDAdler
star
IreneDAdler
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 6/12/12
Send Message

Date: 10/31/13 11:26 AM

The product page categorizes the fabric as a sateen, which implies it will be sort of medium-weight and probably won't need a lining, unless you wanted one for comfort of wearing or clean finishing. I've seen some satin-finish cottons that were more lawn-weight, but based on what I've seen around, "sateen" usually refers to something similar to poplin. If you choose to line it, I think cotton batiste would be perfect. The cotton sateen on its own will have plenty of body and durability so you don't have to worry about reinforcing it too much, and you don't want to add too much extra weight or bulk.

As for whether it will work for the pattern, I think that will depend on what you do with it. I agree with the earlier posters that it would be really interesting if you plan the pattern placement carefully. The seams are very prominent but also very clean, so it could be a great way to play with a large pattern. Based on the larger picture of the fabric with the ruler, the large white design motif is about 5-inches wide, so you could in theory cut the pattern pieces out as panels of the motif. If you want to do that you'd probably need extra fabric. Large, strong prints can be difficult to work with, but also very impressive when you get it right.

I would be careful with using this fabric with a very unstructured pattern for two reasons. 1) Sateen fabrics tend to have a reasonable amount of body and so might not drape well enough for a pattern designed to be flowy. 2) Large prints can look overwhelming if they aren't broken up strategically, like you covered yourself in wallpaper to try to camouflage in a wall.

-- Edited on 10/31/13 11:31 AM --
-- Edited on 10/31/13 11:35 AM --

------
Visit my little corner of the sew-o-sphere: http://yousewlikeagirl.blogspot.com/

determined
determined
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/29/12
Send Message

Date: 10/31/13 10:41 PM

I love this place. All of your posts were extremely helpful. Here is what I am thinking. I will start with a solid color to nail down the pattern. Then I will take the plunge with this print. I cut out the pattern piece for the side panel and scaled up the photo of the fabric to actual size to play around. The price is now marked down and there is not much left so I want to buy it, even if I end up making something else with it.

How much extra yardage should I buy to allow for fabric placement? Should I get a full yard extra?

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to determined <<

Date: 11/1/13 8:32 AM

Quote: determined

How much extra yardage should I buy to allow for fabric placement? Should I get a full yard extra?

That is a fairly large repeat, so you'll need at least a yard, depending on your height and pattern size.

I notice that the print on that fabric is skewed. It is printed "uphill" from L to R. If you are a size 4, the size of the print itself will overwhelm you. If you are a size 14, the uphill-ness of it will be fairly obvious. It is a beautiful fabric, but be aware of the skewed printing of the pattern. It might work better for a skirt. JMO

I have bought quite a few fabrics from that same vendor and from time to time, there have been some 'seconds'. In some cases I had bought enough to work around the problems. If you proceed, be sure to check the fabric before you wash & cut. The one time I contacted the seller regarding a problem I could not work around, they offered to make it right. Which is why I continue to do business with them.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Opinions please on print fabric choice for dress

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Butterick 5474

photo
by: LizJaneB

Review
Kwik Sew 3344

photo
by: megumi

Review
Checkbook Cover

Checkbook Cover

Buy Now
Petite Plus 604 Pattern

Petite Plus 604 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.