SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Burda Style available as a PDF ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Burda Style available as a PDF
whole magazine can be downloaded
purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

Date: 11/1/13 10:20 AM

I just received this email from Burda style:

The Wait is Over!

Burdastyle magazine's premier US edition is finally here, and it's jam packed with the DIY projects, new tools, sewing tips, and runway trends sewers love.

Plus, you'll find beautiful fashion spreads that show off 40 Burda sewing patterns for every occasion.

This issue includes:
•A sewing machine and serger combo giveaway from Fabric.com
•New and hot sewing products
•A 101 for working with Burda patterns
•An introduction to sergers
•Runway looks you can DIY
•This season's top fashion trends: Bright colors, graphic lines, black & white, glittery holiday wear, and earthy textures
•20 full-size pattern inserts

And then this download. for $14.95.

Can this magazine be purchased as a hard copy, I wonder? I'd rather not download a whole magazine, my ink cartridges will be depleted in no time. And I would have to print out the patterns as well, I suppose.

What do others think?

Claudia

-- Edited on 11/1/13 10:21 AM --

Pattern Junkie

Pattern Junkie
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/8/03
Send Message

Date: 11/1/13 11:40 AM

I was at Michael's yesterday and saw the magazine -- it was in my hot little hands within seconds! Twenty patterns are included in the mag; twenty more can be downloaded.

I've only glanced through it, but it's the Burda I know and love: nice pieces mixed with oddities (a hip wrap??!), goofy descriptions ("rock and roll influenced fringe...embroidery that can be done by the lake") but one very interesting difference. The patterns in the magazine INCLUDE seam and hem allowances.

It's definitely a better deal to subscribe: it's $24.99/year for 4 issues vs. $14.99/issue. The only thing I'm bummed about is that most of the patterns I like are the downloadable ones. I hate all that printing and taping! It would be much better if they included all 40 in the mag.

------
I obsess about patterns at my blog, http://patternjunkie.typepad.com.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/gremlygirl

paloverde
paloverde  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arizona USA
Member since 10/17/07
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/1/13 4:13 PM

Printed version available at Joann's a couple of weeks ago. Probably still are copies.

becca a
starstar
becca a  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 11/6/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/1/13 5:22 PM

I would like the hard copy, I guess. I already get the regular magazine subscription and I hope I won't eventually have to get this thing with only half the patterns instead. I hate printing and taping together patterns. If that becomes the norm, I will cancel my subscription.

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 11/2/13 0:45 AM

In my quest to find out which patterns are included without having to go number by number, I read somewhere (possibly some comment on a blog somewhere, I have no idea how true it is) that the PDF version has the magazine pattern sheets print, rather than the separate patterns like the free downloads.

aonori
aonori
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/27/08
Send Message

Date: 11/2/13 3:10 AM

Are the downloadable patterns listed in the magazine free to anyone if you go to burdastyle.com, or do you have to have some special code that is printed in the magazine or something like that? Do these downloadables have seam allowances too? I'm surprised they added seam allowances to the patterns in the magazine--are they 5/8"? I think I'd prefer them without. I have also seen the mag at the Joann's near me.

Pattern Junkie

Pattern Junkie
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/8/03
Send Message

In reply to aonori <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/2/13 9:24 AM

aonori, no, the downloadable patterns DON'T have seam allowances too. I haven't tried downloading anything yet, so I don't know if you need a special code.

------
I obsess about patterns at my blog, http://patternjunkie.typepad.com.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/gremlygirl

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to Pattern Junkie <<

Date: 11/2/13 10:21 AM

How does one subscribe? Is there a phone number I can call. I want to subscribe...NOW!!! Thanks for any info.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to Pattern Junkie <<

Date: 11/2/13 10:47 AM

I am confused. Is the Burda Style US different than the Burda Style magazine you can get at Amazon for $90 a year...12 issues? The 24.99 for 4 issues is cheaper but is it the same magazine? You are saying it is 24.99 for 4 issues..thus one issue every 3 months...? I get Burda e-mails and they say NOTHING about how to subscribe to the magazine...NOTHING!!!! What bad marketing is that?

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

In reply to threaddy <<

Date: 11/2/13 11:25 AM

BurdaStyle US is published 4x per year, this is the very first issue. This first issue recycles patterns from previous European issues and added some N.American content. 4 mags = $25

The European magazine is published 12X per year and translated into a few different languages including English. 12 mags = $90

The publishers of both magazines seem to be totally separate, I couldn't get the US magazine from my regular Burda source.

I did receive an e-mail from Burda introducing the new magazine. When I clicked the link to read more, subscription details were available.

BurdaUS announcemeny

Unfortunately I haven't found a copy in my little Canadian burg of Vancouver as yet. I'm old fashioned and want a paper copy to hold in my hands.

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Burda Style available as a PDF

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Simplicity 2648

photo
by: wildberrym...

Review
McCall's 6519

photo
by: Sew Red Ro...

Review
Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Buy Now
Beginner Sewing Lab 101 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 101  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.