SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > ponte roma vs double knit ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
ponte roma vs double knit
what's the difference?
charliegirl127
charliegirl127
Intermediate
KY USA
Member since 10/13/13
Send Message

Date: 11/3/13 8:43 PM

What is the difference between double knit and the ponte roma that everyone's raving about? Then there's sofia knit too. Have a pattern calling for ponte roma but I'm confused what to get.

Jeanette S
star
Jeanette S  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/17/07
Send Message

In reply to charliegirl127 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/4/13 1:02 AM

Double knit would be like the general term for any of the ponte roma, ponte, sofia, etc.
It depends on the store too. Joann's has ponte knit which is a 100 percent polyester. They also have ponte roma which is a poly-rayon blend. Vogue fabrics is the only place I have seen the sofia knits. They are a poly-rayon blend as well but I would say they are a little higher end than Joann's ponteroma.
Fabric.com has a ponte de roma that is similar to the other poly - rayon blends.
Fabric contents as follows for each store:
Fabric.com ponte de roma - 65 poly-30 rayon- 5 lycra
Joann's ponte roma = 58 poly-40 rayon-2 lycra
Vogue Fabrics sofia = 67 poly-30rayon-3 lycra
I would suggest getting a swatch of each and checking them. I have heard that sofia doesn't pill like the Joann's ponte roma but I haven't tested this out yet.
I hope that helps. Vogue has beautiful colors of their sofia.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to Jeanette S <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/4/13 1:30 AM

Fabric.com carries Sophia which is from Logantex (MFG).

Sophia Stretch Double Knit

Be sure to wash on Delicate, inside out, and line dry. Even the Sophia, which is a higher quality than the Jo-Ann's, eventually pills. I believe it's the polyester in the fabric that causes this.

I checked out Vogue Fabrics "knits" and on pg. 2 and 3, they have a great selection of Sophia knit. Scroll to the bottom of the page for five colors and then click on pg. 3 for even more to choose from. Check it out here:

Vogue Fabrics Sophia

ETA: Additional source for Sophia Double Knit. Deleted Fabric.com sale notice.

-- Edited on 11/5/13 10:55 AM --

------
Judy

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

In reply to charliegirl127 <<

Date: 11/4/13 6:58 AM

Here is another thread on your question.

Edited to correct link.

-- Edited on 11/7/13 7:56 AM --

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
WV USA
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 7:24 AM

I just recently purchased some Ponte from Fabric Mart Fabrics that appears to be some of the best Ponte I have ever purchased. It is a poly/rayon/lycra that is $7.99 (their regular price). I had purchased 2 yards to make a pair of pants (and also to check out the quality). Before I had even washed it to get it needle ready, I returned to the computer and purchased an additional 8 yards of black and 4 yards of brown. I use a lot of black and I'm always on the lookout for really good quality ones. Ponte (the poly/rayon blend) is my favorite knit for pants - or for whatever, really. I do use special care with it. I wash on gentle, wrong side out, and dry on the hanger (no dryer - I think that is what causes most of the pilling). Like everything, you can get poor quality anywhere and being able to find a brand that is consistent is really nice. I've never purchased the Sophia, so I have no basis of comparison, but it has been my experience that I can get especially good ones at Fabric Mart Fabrics.

By the way - all Ponte is double knit, but all are not equal and in my estimation, the blends of poly/rayon/lycra are the best.

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 8:52 AM

I have wondered about this too. Especially after ordering a "ponte de roma" from FabricMart (twice actually) - one I made B5926 from and the other I made M6844. Both were really nice and...I don't know..."thick"? Like a medium weight.

I bought some "ponte de roma" from Hancock in a creamy off white and it's much thinner and stretchier than either of the two I got from FM.

So now I know to be on the lockout for fabric composition and not just the name.

And thanks Ann - kind of like "all ponte is double knit but not all double knits are ponte"?

or as I like to remind my kids - "Chemistry isn't everything but everything is chemistry!!" :)

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
WV USA
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 9:02 AM

You are so right!

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 1:41 PM

I discovered Sophia knit last winter and must say - I love it! It is easy to work with, looks/drapes beautifully and wears well!
I will definitely check out Fabric Mart. I have ordered from Vogue Fabrics and a shop close to my area has it, though never on sale (shop). I need to build a little stash of it when it is on sale on one of the websites!!

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
Babylock Coverstitch (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

LaurieEm

LaurieEm  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 10/4/03
Send Message

Subject: ponte roma: The BEST! Date: 11/4/13 1:58 PM

Just jumping in to say DITTO! Ponte Roma from JoAnn's is hands down my favorite fabric to sew with. It not only drapes in a flattering way: it doesn't run, it doesn't curl, it doesn't pill, it washes and dries and wears forever, and travels well. I sure wish JoAnn's carried more colors of Ponte Roma (don't be fooled by Ponte Knit).

Hancock's has a version too. Not identical in content - it says 72%Polyester/24%Rayon/4%Spandex. To search for their solids, search (all one word) PONTEROMA. I don't live near their store, and last time I was in I didn't see the solids. But I did find some with knitted in patterns, and the feel and drape were similar. I have some of it in my stash, prewashed and ready to go.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to LaurieEm <<

Date: 11/4/13 3:22 PM

The Ponte de Roma knit from Jo-Ann's that is 58% Polyester/40% Rayon/2% Spandex feels, looks and drapes really nice when you buy it, but it eventually pills. On the other hand, the "old style" Ponte that is 100% Polyester is the kind of fabric they use to make elastic waist pants out of. Nowadays, they make cheerleader and band uniforms out of it. I don't buy this type so I can't speak to the quality, but if it's like the kind they USE to make my Mom's pants out of, that stuff will hold up forever.

I did a comparison of some Ponte from Fabric.com, Ponte de Roma and Sophia that I've shared on a couple of Boards. Right now I just don't have the time to write about it again or find it. Trust me when I say the Sophia pills the least of the three. I haven't tried FM Ponte yet because of the Polyester content. It takes at least six washings for the "truth about pilling" to appear.

------
Judy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> ponte roma vs double knit

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

MariaDenmark 101

photo
by: House of P...

Review
Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Buy Now
Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.