SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Brother SE400 vs. Janome Memory Craft 11000SE ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Brother SE400 vs. Janome Memory Craft 11000SE
amynxdx
star
amynxdx  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 12/30/12
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 11:42 AM

I know these 2 machines are very different but this is my issue currently.

My local sewing shop has a Janome Memory Craft 11000SE used for $3499.00 + tax. I get all the regulars that come with it and an extra hoop or 2, some thread and stabilizer.

OR

I can buy the Brother SE400 on Amazon for $299.00

I'm having a hard time justifying the $4k (after taxes) and keep thinking I should just go cheap and save up more money. This isn't a job for me but I'd like to one day turn it into a job.

Any input on if you have either machine, or if the costs are high .. I dunno. I'm going crazy trying to figure out what to do here. I don't want buyer's remorse. I sew garments nonstop and haven't ever done embroidery but I want to get my feet wet. I do have 6D Embroidery Software so I want to use it (I got it free).

I just need advice and opinions from other seamstresses, not my husband who doesn't sew LOL

Thanks in advance!

------
www.thatssewamy.com

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to amynxdx <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/4/13 12:04 PM

Your comparing apples and oranges. The Janome is much better engineered, built, bigger hoops, editing capabilities etc. Don't think you understand embroidery well enough to see how different these machines are. It's like comparing a Kia to a BMW. The Janome is not only a good embroidery machine it's a great sewing machine. But if you just want to get you feet wet it might be better to go with the $300 but if you love embroidery you will very quickly grow out of it.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

amynxdx
star
amynxdx  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 12/30/12
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 1:45 PM

Yeah - they are pretty different LOL

I guess since I haven't ever embroidered before, I have no idea if I will love it or not. I guess I should go with the cheaper one, see how I like it and move up. That way I'm not regretting.

Thanks!

------
www.thatssewamy.com

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to amynxdx <<

Date: 11/4/13 2:10 PM

What version of 6D embroidery do you have? This software just came out in the last month. What do you want to do with the embroidery machine? Comparing the SE400 is like a tricycle to a transport...the SE400 has an embroidery area of 4x4" , is considered a 3/4 size machine apr 12lb range. The Janome 11000 has an embroidery area of 8x8, color screen, editing allowing multi rows of text or combining sever smaller designs to create a larger design in 1 hooping.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

Helen DeGree
Helen DeGree
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/9/05
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 2:24 PM

The above comments are all spot on, however I would just like to add that the Brother 400 is a small investment (by comparison) and if you decide later that you want to upgrade, the 400 will be an excellent backup machine or one to take to classes etc. I have the Brother 4000, but I bought the 400 a couple years ago for just these reasons. It is lightweight, portable, and easy to store.

amynxdx
star
amynxdx  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 12/30/12
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 2:35 PM

I have the newest version of 6D. I was invited to the Husqvarna Viking convention in Sept and they gave me that as a thank you, they knew I didn't have a machine but they gave me $2,200 worth of software! LOL I'm very grateful for it but can't even use it :(

I currently have a $120 Brother sewing machine and I've been happy with it but I need an upgrade so I've felt pressured into getting a high end machine and one that can do everything 6D can do.

But on the other hand I feel scared to make a huge jump. $4,000 is a lot of money! Then I worry if I buy the $300 Brother I may outgrow it in a few months and the $4,000 one will be gone. I have no clue if that is a good deal for the Memory Craft. I don't trust salespeople :(

Helen - that makes me feel better that you were in the same boat!

------
www.thatssewamy.com

PeppermintPam
star
PeppermintPam  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 1/9/07
Send Message

In reply to amynxdx <<

Date: 11/4/13 4:01 PM

$3,499 for a used 11000SE seems a little high to me. I purchased a brand new 11000 in March 2008 for $3999. That included the Digitizer Pro MB software, and the 'Simply Compete Sewing' kit that included the extension table, 5 spool thread holder, several extra hoops, and I don't remember what else.
I upgraded my machine to the SE a few years later for around $400.

A 1/2 hour or so after the dealer quoted me the $3999, she realized the price should have been $4999, but she said since she had already quoted the lower price, she would honor that price as long as I was in the store. (Even though I hadn't gone in the store looking for a new machine, I just couldn't pass up that deal.) I know they "claim" it was worth $10,000 for everything I got, but still… What they claim it's worth and what they were willing to sell it for were 2 very different things. BTW, the Digitizer Pro MB software alone had a retail price of $1999. So for your dealer selling a used machine with only 1 or 2 extra hoops, some thread and stabilizer for $3499 seems pretty steep to me. That's just me, though.

It is a wonderful machine, though, and it has so many more features than a basic machine - I also love the larger embroidery size (4x4 is pretty limiting IMO). Most of my embroidery is on clothing, or gift projects like towels, banners, wall hangings, etc., and it does do beautiful embroidery. Also, I have made several pairs of jeans (12 oz. denim), and it sews thru all those layers of denim with no hesitation or skipped stitches or broken needles - and it sews silks just as beautifully.

I'm not sure if any of this helps or not. I don't want to discourage you from getting the 11000SE, but I also don't know anything about the Brother machine.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 4:12 PM

Go with the Brother as you may decide machine embroidery is not for you. If you decide that it has a place in your future, then test drive as many different brands as you can find. The SE400 can be used as a backup or in the future, the dealer may possibly consider taking it in as a trade-up.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

AK
AK
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/2/04
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 4:14 PM

I have another idea entirely. Look for Janome 9700. Janome has retired that machine, but they are still around NEW for about $2500. I have the only slightly different 9500. It is a great sewing machine as well as embroidery machine. I have tried other embroidery machines, but I like Janome best. And I don't want you to think your only choices are the SE400 or 11000SE.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 8:05 PM

I have the 11000 SE and love it.

I primarily sew with it and have only dabbled with embroidery.

I paid $4999.00 for the demo machine in 2009. They included the upgrade and I was happy with the price.

I would buy it again just for the sewing capabilities.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Brother SE400 vs. Janome Memory Craft 11000SE

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.