SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Mens cashmere coat at local thrift ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Mens cashmere coat at local thrift
Recycle as women's vest/scarf/gloves??
NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

Date: 11/4/13 6:07 PM

My local thrift store has a marked down men's black cashmere coat in a large size. It looks to be in very good
shape. Am thinking of purchasing to repurpose it.... any ideas or am I nuts ? Think the new Vogue Tilton vest may work. Suggestions ?

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to NancyZL <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/4/13 7:44 PM

Cashmere is lovely stuff, all right. If the coat's fabric is still very nice and it is marked down sufficiently, it might be worth your while to go to all the work of deconstructing it and making something else.

NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

In reply to Elona <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/4/13 10:21 PM

Thanks for your reply. It's under $10. (US) so will take another look at it tomorrow. I could not see any signs of wear at all, and the lining also looked in excellent shape. Anything I should look for ??

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/4/13 10:47 PM

I look at any of that stuff as if it is fabric. I recently bought a leather skirt...will never use it as a skirt but will make a purse out of it. I have taken many a man's too large polar fleece jacket and made vests out of them. Might be a good idea to go through your pattern stash and make sure the yardage in the coat is enough.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

In reply to threaddy <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/4/13 11:04 PM

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I've also used leather jackets as
" fabric" for purses and now using one for a simple boot .
I think it's in my DNA since my father built an addition to our home using wood boards from auto shipping pallets!

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to NancyZL <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/4/13 11:21 PM

BRAVO!!!!
I just watched "sweater surgery"..a Craftsy class. WOW..since I am a knitter I have now a ton of new projects from sweaters that were not quite right...including wishing I had pockets etc. Making something useful out of a reject is so gratifying!!!! I have visions of that cashmere coat turning in to a Chanel type jacket?

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 11/5/13 0:28 AM

Good idea, I actually have lots of long very nice 1940's style cashmere coats purchased from the Goodwill Stores over the years. Just because a really nice one, costs me too much to buy new anyplace now, and even to just buy the fabric would be kind of very expensive and cost prohibitive for me. And most times I have even spent less than $20 for each of them, there like that. And I would think probably 3 or more yards of fabric in each of them actually. Try to check careful for moth holes though, as sometimes there might be some of them in there.

My best cashmere coat I got there, actually says for fiber content on the label of it "Cashmere Mink" and the fiber content of it is "80% Mongolian Cashmere and 20% Mink". That one is particular nice in feel and drape of it. I'm not sure how they got the " 20% mink in there" , but I'm thinking it was probably somehow more chopped up mink fur, that in the manufacture process got mixed up with and incorporated in with, the goat fur hair instead somehow. Lovely fabric though, if you see any of that, grab that coat!

ASiverson
star
ASiverson  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 5/31/11
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/5/13 1:30 PM

iF YOU DON'T want the cashmere coat, buy it and sell it, to one of us, of course! LOL!

------
Annette

Maripat
Maripat  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 10/11/08
Send Message

Date: 11/5/13 9:14 PM

Around here bedbugs are a big problem. Anything I get second hand needs to be dried for at least 20 minutes. Heat kills the little buggers. Not sure about care for cashmere, but a reputable dry cleaner can also help. Just tell him the full story.
Maripat

------
"You are in charge of your own ride!"

LearningAlterations.com

B

B
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 12/5/03
Send Message

Date: 11/5/13 11:38 PM

Also take a look at the back side of the fabric just in case you like that better! Either side should work. I would hold it up to the light to check for tiny holes.
My husband has a 50 yr old bespoke sport coat that looks like new. That kind of fabric is wonderful.

------
Janome serger 634D, Brother PC6000, Singer 500A, Kenmore Mini-Ultra, vintage Bernina 600, White Rotary treadle, New Homestead A VS treadle

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Mens cashmere coat at local thrift

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Burda 7658

photo
by: julliams

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Misses Jeans Pattern

J Stern Designs Misses Jeans Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.