SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Can't sew through cloth diapers ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Can't sew through cloth diapers
What's the problem?
sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 11/5/13 1:50 PM

I am trying to make some cute burp cloths out of purchased cloth diapers. These are the heavy duty kind that diaper services use. My machine is having trouble piercing the fabric. I've tried sharps, quilting, denim, and leather needles in sizes 14 or 16, because they were on hand. Before I go buy a bunch of other sizes and types of needles, has anyone tried this?? What else could be the problem??

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

In reply to sewme47 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/5/13 2:05 PM

The only thing I can think of is that there must be some kind of residue in the fabric. I think I'd run the diapers through the washer in very hot water with a double warm rinse first.......no soap or softner of any kind. Vinegar does not remove residue. It only cuts the suds and softens fabric. Good luck.

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

In reply to sewme47 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/6/13 0:37 AM

I am in the process of embroidering some myself. I bought Gerber brand. They sewed up just fine. However!! When I washed them to get the stabilizer out, they shrank 2 inches in each direction AND got those little balls all over. I had to take a razor and scrape off the balls.

They are a mess and I can't give them for a gift. Very annoying. Also, after shrinking, they would only fit a newborn as a diaper. :rolleyes:

The way to embroider them is to hoop a piece of stabilizer, then place the hoop on the machine according to however your machine sets up. Next, simply lay the diaper on top of the stabilizer without putting it in the hoop and run a basting stitch around it. I use embroidery needles and had no trouble with the embroidery. I did find that some designs sewed out better than others.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Subject: Cant sew through cloth diapers Date: 11/6/13 0:53 AM

I had a likewise experience last month. I ordered diaper cloth to make burb cloths and after preshrinking it came out looking like a well used, pilled mess! So disappointing because I paid top dollar. I plan to iron and stitch up thick fancy bands and see if I can just remove the pills on the outer sections that show. Hope it works.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Vintagelover
Vintagelover
Member since 9/29/13
Send Message

In reply to sewme47 <<

Date: 11/6/13 4:32 AM

don't know if this helps but magnesium (we call it Epsom salts) softens the product, makes towels more absorbent.

I have industrial nappies (as we call them here) and I cut them down and re-sewed edges. didn't have a problem with stitching into them but my ones here (nappies) could be manufactured to different specs.

sew4grands
star
sew4grands  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/23/09
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/6/13 6:40 AM

When I make burp cloths, I make them out of flannel, with
terry cloth, an old towel, sandwiched in between the top and bottom flannel pieces.

------
Nancy B.
I sew with 4 Brothers and a Featherweight
Babylock Serger

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 11/6/13 9:04 AM

I have used these with great results.

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

Kalisews
Kalisews
Member since 2/8/13
Send Message

Date: 11/6/13 9:36 AM

I cloth diapered my kids for a while. I used these upon recommendation from many other cloth diapering mothers. I also ordered an extra dozen for burp cloths and sewed a border around the edges to differentiate them. 4 and a half years later I still have the burp clothes in my kitchen and use them as kitchen towels. Not a fuzz ball on them. They look fabulous, soak up everything, and take washing after washing. I can't seem to wear them out. I may even order another dozen and add a more kitchen appropriate border if I do wear these out.

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 11/6/13 9:57 AM

I bought that brand first from amazon. When they arrived they the color was nasty. They looked used instead of unbleached. I washed them thinking that might improve the look.

Next I put them in the rag pile. Waste of time and money.

I like the idea of flannel and terricloth. I wish I'd known about that before this mess I created to say nothing of the money spent and time wasted.

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 11/6/13 3:48 PM

Thank you, all. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has had problems with cloth diapers. I purposely sought out the durable type of diapers that diaper services use, because of the pilling you all have mentioned. I think I would need an industrial machine to sew through them.

Well, I guess this project wasn't meant to be...the shower is Saturday, and I have no more time to experiment. I'll have to go buy a gift! For next time, I like the idea of using terry or flannel.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Can't sew through cloth diapers

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Simplicity 2512

photo
by: CissieW

Review
Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

Sewn Square One Go Anywhere Dress Pattern

More Info
Fusible Interfacing DVD

Fusible Interfacing DVD

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.