SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Dog owners, I need your advice! ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Dog owners, I need your advice!
What to say to neighbor about her pets
Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 5/16/08
Send Message

Date: 11/5/13 9:34 PM

My neighbor owns two pooches and cares for them well. But once or twice a week, someone in her household, perhaps her teenage daughter, lets the dogs out in the back yard in the early morning about an hour before I get up.

One of the dogs, the male I think, races to three corners of the yard and barks at each. This includes a spot about six feet from my bedroom window. The resounding bark wakes me up every time. I can't get back to sleep before my alarm clock rings and I have to get up for work.

I am struggling with sleep issues and the "bark alarm" is getting to me.

When my neighbor is home, she never allows the dogs to bark that much. I think this happens on a day when she has to leave for work earlier than she already does.

I'm not sure exactly how to present this issue to her in a friendly way that perhaps suggests a solution.

-- Edited on 11/5/13 9:34 PM --

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Send Message

In reply to Sewandwrite <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/5/13 9:41 PM

How to diplomatically address this will be answered by someone else. I am not the best candidate for helping on this one.

When I was faced with a similar situation, except it occurred at 3 am, I lost it one early morning and called the neighbor at 3 am.

She apologized, and kept the dogs in until a reasonable hour thereafter. It was a lucky shot on my part.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 11/5/13 10:03 PM

I have a dog who has 24/7 access to the yard through a pet door.

Oscar is generally in the bedroom with me at night until about 5:00 am when I have to go to the loo. He goes out, but I have never heard him barking.

If he was causing a problem for any of my neighbours I would hope they would either pickup the phone or come knock on my door to let me know. I would not get my knickers in a knot, I would know about a problem that needs to be addressed.

Many years ago when Cassie was a pup (former dog, before the pet door) I left her outside after I went home at noon. An hour later a neighbour called me at work to let know she was crying. I headed right home, but her inside and she was happy.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/5/13 11:04 PM

Not much helpful advice, but my neighbor keeps a small dog tied out in the far back 40 of her yard, which happens to be close enough to my bedroom where I can hear it whine, bark and generally be miserable.

I usually go out about midnight (about the time I go to bed and the thing is cold, hungry and wanting to sleep) and drag it in the house.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 11/5/13 11:23 PM

Just tell the neighbor exactly what is happening as you have described here. You do not need to worry about how to phrase it because you wrote it in such a sensitive manner. I am sure you will be polite and helpful.

Be factual, do not apologize, establish a cooperative relationship, let her figure out what to do.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 11/6/13 2:47 AM

I got a cheapo no bark ultrasonic device on the As Seen on TV aisle for about $15 and it works. Actually got it to keep my own dogs from barking when I let them out in the yard for their last "go" before I turn in for the night around 11:30 PM...but I don't like them to bark when in the yard at that time. When they (3 mini dachshunds---mom dog and her son and daughter) start to bark I turn on the ultrasonic no bark thingie...and what's amazing is that it stopped the neighbor's dog across the street from barking as well. Worth the $.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to bestgrammy <<

Date: 11/6/13 4:20 AM

Do you know how it works? I'd need to know before I'd consider it. Sure sounds effective.

I live in a city in an area with single-family homes. I'm surrounded front, back and side by barking dogs- pretty incessant. The owners attend to them, but may have learned to live with the noise level. These are smaller dogs and maybe it goes with their breed/mix? My dog Bella barks on occasion, but rarely barks back at the neighboring barkers. I expect a certain amount of barking- it comes with the territory, but the neighbor dogs are relentless.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 11/6/13 5:42 AM

It makes a sound only the dogs can hear so not sure what it actually "sounds" like. Mine is small and takes batteries. Of my three dogs...each one seemed to notice it differently.

I was pleasantly surprised that the dog across the street "noticed" it as mine is a cheap model and I didn't think it would be "heard" from that far. The dog barked loudly (probably in response to my dogs barking at what they thought had been in the yard previously...a raccoon or a neighbor's cat...otherwise my dogs do their business quietly) then the neighbor's dog stopped barking...started barking again but quieter...stopped...then barked much quieter...then stopped completely...with all that taking place in about one minute's time.

So my dogs stopped barking because of the device and so did the neighbor's dog which was good since the neighbors was not home...all in about one minute's time. It must be a sound dogs do not like to hear...but my dogs do not act like they are in pain...they just stop barking.

I tried to look online for the one I have but no longer see it available. There are similar devices available all at various prices with variable reviews. My suggestion would be to check at your local pet supply store for what might be available there with the reassurance that what ever your might purchase can be returned it you don't like it.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/6/13 7:28 AM

I would talk to your neighbor first as after that isn't much you can do. We have been disturbed for 3 years by an inconsiderate dog owner 2 doors down. We have called the county twice on him. Now at least he keeps the big doberman in the back but you can still hear him. And that's fine if her let him out at reasonable hours. 2am and 6 am on a Sunday morning are not reasonable hours in my book. But to pursue it any further it would be going to court etc and I'm not wasting a vacation day on this person.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 11/6/13 7:49 AM

I am of the honesty is the best policy kinda person.. Put a big smile on your face.. and simply go knock on her door and let her know what is happening. My bet is she is unaware that you are being woke up by the dogs.. I would have to ask just what time of morning this is that this is happening. if not real early.. it may not be she has a choice.. Dogs must be ran before people leave for work. So its a different matter if they are being ran at seven in the morning as opposed to five AM.. Since this is only happening once or twice a week then I would say the dog owner could probably easily keep those dogs in till you would normally be up.. Simply ask her if she can keep the dogs inside till your normal wake up time.
We are big on dogs in my neighborhood.. but all of us bring them inside at night.. However with the recent rash of burglaries we are all letting them out whenever they alert no matter what the time of night.. What is ironic is that I had discouraged my dogs from barking .. and now I have to retrain them .. We praised my Aussie so much last week for alerting to our burglar twice that now he barks at anything and everything. So I simply have checked in with the neighbors on a regular basis to see if my dogs are bothering them at all and if so when etc. Course we are all aware of the need for dog security alarms now..
Being disturbed by a neighbors dog is the same as being disturbed by motion lights etc.. Its important to establish good relationships with the neighbors to address any issues.. You never know what else might come up is my point here. So try to work pleasantly on this matter..
I also start out by remarking how cute or beautiful or such their dogs are.. how nice to have them watching over the neighborhood.. but I don't normally get up till six AM.. and I would appreciate it if they could hold their dogs in till then as they are running over to my side of the fence and barking till they wake me up.. Then tell them how much you would appreciate any effort they can make to rein in the dogs till that time.. and to let you know if you can ever do anything to repay that favor..
Life is funny you know.. you never know when you might really need that neighbor.. My neighbor on my right.. who has in the past really irritated me .. is the same neighbor who is allowing us to close up her back gate to deter the burglar from coming thru her yard to ours.. She does not have to do that.. and it will be an inconvenience to her somewhat.. So its a good thing I have strived to maintain a decent relationship with her over the years..
I also make sure I put a potted poinsetta on the porches of my neighbors at Christmas.. or some other plant now and then and so on.. I always wave to them.. and anything else I can help with.. Our neighbors know they can freely call on us with any problem or need.. Course we have been here almost 20 years now. SO..

i JUST ADORE your dogs .. they are so beautiful.. but twice a week they are waking me up and I was wondering if you can hold them inside till seven .. Is that possible ? I bet you may not know that this is happening..

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Dog owners, I need your advice!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Simplicity 4076

photo
by: goosegreen

Review
Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top

Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.