SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Which Overlocker is Best? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Which Overlocker is Best?
oneredcherry
oneredcherry
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/3/13
Send Message

Date: 11/6/13 9:59 PM

hi! Ive posted a few times on here, and got myself thoughly confused! Basically I want a overlocker. I sew a lot of childrens clothes, and am starting making clothes for myself, and want a more professional finish.

So I have a few options. I am looking at buying a used bernina 1200mda, price 550. *apparently* it hasnt been used much, but as its in perth, and im in melbourne, I cant go and see it. The lady is very nice and has sent me lots of photos. It looks good, but as a complete serger novice, i dont really know what im looking at.

I like berninas, i tried them at the showa few weeks back, and fell in love with a 800, but sadly, my funds arent going to stretch that far.

So, my other options would be to buy a new machine, im thinking one of the following
*janome 644d
*elna 644 (either the pro or not, im not sure. Is it worth spending the extra money to get the pro?)
*Bernina Bernette 610d
*Husqvarna Huskylock S15

Are berninas that good that a second hand one would be better than a new something else?
Are any of the above models exceptionally good?
Basically, if you were in my shoes, which would you choose?
Jessica
P.S I would love to go and try these machines out, but i live rurally, and its quite a long hall to the nearest dealer of any sort

julibet
star
julibet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 6/6/05
Send Message

In reply to oneredcherry <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/7/13 7:52 AM

I've been a Bernina fan forever BUT when it came time to replace my Bernina overlocker (which, I understand, is not Swiss-made) I went with a BabyLock machine with the air puff threading.
It is WONDERFUL. As most of the overlocker problems you will encounter result from improper threading, having the machine do most of the threading means painless thread color switches and great looking, balanced stitching.

Marie367
Marie367
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to oneredcherry <<

Date: 11/7/13 8:53 AM

Well the answer to your question "Which overlocker is best" is the one you like. An entry level serger that would work great for you is the Brother 1034d. I had one of these. It is a workhorse and inexpensive. One the other end of the spectrum are the Babylocks. They are expensive but have jet air threading so are easy to use. It seems like I heard (on here) that Berninas are actually made by someone else (Juki maybe?) I now have a Janome 745 which is a combo machine. It is a great machine. I looked at the Elna 644 and it is just like my combo machine minus the coverstitch feature. That Janome may be the same model as the Elna because as you probably know Elnas are made by Janome. The 745 was easy for me to learn to thread because the threading path is nearly identical to the Brother. It certainly seemed as sturdy as my 745. The Elna or the Janome are not difficult to learn to thread. So, it is just up to your budget and what you want.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/7/13 8:53 AM

Get yourself a Babylock with JetAir threading!!! You'll never regret it.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

annenet
star
annenet  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/2/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 11/7/13 9:14 AM

I have an 1100D, very similar to the one you're looking at and a 1300MDC. My 1100D is headed to my lake house in PA so to take it's place I bought a Babylock Enlighten. I find I do need a serger backup!

I find the 1100D very easy to thread even though it's manual. If this is a barely used serger (a lot of people get them and are intimidated by them) it's probably a good buy. You might look at Juki if you're looking for new. They make Bernina's sergers.

------
So many projects, not enough time
At my house in VA:
Bernina 1010, Activa 220, Artista 630E, B580
Singer 201-2, 221, Bernina Serger 1300MDC, BL Enlighten, BL Sashiko, BL Cover Stitch, Consew 75T

At my Lake House in PA:
Bernina Artista 165E, Singer 503A. Bernina Serger 1100d

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 11/7/13 9:15 PM

I think you mean the Elna 664. I have an Elna 644, which is my go to serger, but that model hasn't been available in quite a few years. If you like the Bernina sergers, you should check out their 'cousin' Juki.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

missticky2
missticky2
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/09
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 6:24 PM

I have the Janome 644D and have been very happy with it. It's not hard to thread - the usually difficult looper has a little lever that flips it into view so it's easier to thread and then it flips back into position again. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 644 :)
Edit to add: - besides, you really don't have to actually thread them that often, unless a thread breaks. When you need to change threads you just cut the thread near the spool, tie on the new thread and loosen your tensions and pull the threads through until it's threaded with the new colour. You may have to cut and thread the needle but if you use the right knot, most times the knot will pull through the needle as well :)
-- Edited on 11/11/13 6:27 PM --

------
Blessings
Janice

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/12/13 10:57 AM

You really need to test drive anything you are considering for purchase. Even from sweet little old ladies!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

with love Heidi
with love Heidi
Member since 11/26/12
Send Message

Date: 11/18/13 3:16 AM

I have had the Janome 644d for the last 4 years and I am very happy with it. I mainly make kids clothes and I used it multiple times per week. I highly recommend it :)

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Date: 11/18/13 4:30 AM

I understand the rural part of it. I test drove about 10 sergers before deciding on the one I wanted, and spent the day doing just that. By the time I was finished, I had mine narrowed down to 2 models that I wanted, and wound up having to drive 3 hours at that because the "local" (Ken's an hour and a half away) couldn't be bothered to thread any of the machines. Then I came home and researched the heck out of them to make a final decision (although I buy the accessories from the shop I tested them at).

I can't give advice on your choices. I would really look into them online, look at what others say and what they offer and see if I could find bloggers that use them and call shops that sell them to ask about them, if they'll give their spiel over the phone.

I know by the time I bought my Elna 945, I had spent almost a year looking into it and researching it and then bought only because it was a floor model with warranty for right at a third of what it retailed for in the store here. I did have a very low end White model I got cheap (under $100) that was gently used and used that for about 2 years until I decided I wanted something to do more.

Good luck to you!

ETA because at this time of the night distance and time means less then usual.
-- Edited on 11/18/13 4:31 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Which Overlocker is Best?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2010-104

photo
by: Merche

Review
Petite Plus 203 Pattern

Petite Plus 203 Pattern

Buy Now
Beginner Sewing Lab 103 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 103  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.