SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Printing out patterns ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Printing out patterns
Tips, ideas, thoughts??
micheleb
micheleb
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/07
Send Message

Date: 11/8/13 9:47 AM

Good morning everyone,

I just downloaded free printable patterns from the Marfy site. This is all new to me--Marfy patterns and printable patterns. I have to admit I've avoided printable patterns for a long time because I anticipate a whole bunch of new problems just to print the pattern and piece it together.

So.....the questions:

What is the best way to approach this?
Is there a certain type of paper for printing sewing patterns?
Are there printers that do a better job than others?

Maybe I'm hyperventilating for no reason, so I apologize if that's the case; but I'd be grateful for any ideas anyone has...

Thanks,

Michele

IreneDAdler
star
IreneDAdler
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 6/12/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/8/13 11:31 AM

Generally speaking, the only thing you need to worry about with printing patterns out is the size of the paper and to make sure to print at 100% scale. I looked at these Marfy patterns and the instructions said they're designed for size A4 paper. A4 is slightly narrower and slightly longer than US Letter-size, so if you try to print A4-sized pages on Letter-sized paper, some of the bottom might get cut off. You could either buy some A4 paper or if you have Legal-sized paper you can try printing on that (in theory if you tell the printer to print at 100% scale, it should be able to fit the whole page on Legal-sized paper since Legal is bigger than A4).

Apart from paper size, any printer paper and printer work just fine. Remember that these patterns are intended for consumer home use, so for them to be useful to regular people, they can't require you to have a bunch of esoteric tools and materials.

As for cutting and taping, the fastest way is to cut the border off just two adjoining sides (e.g. top and left only, leaving bottom and right; or top and right, etc.; NOT top and bottom or right and left) on every sheet, which will make it so that each "seam" you're matching up will have a trimmed edge and an untrimmed edge, so you can lay the trimmed edge over the un-trimmed edge and match up the seam using the alignment markers. Tilly has a post that shows this process with pictures.

------
Visit my little corner of the sew-o-sphere: http://yousewlikeagirl.blogspot.com/

micheleb
micheleb
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/07
Send Message

In reply to IreneDAdler <<

Date: 11/8/13 12:39 PM

Hi Irene,

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. It sounds like it's pretty trouble free as long as you use the right size paper and print at 100%.

Thanks again!

Michele

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/8/13 2:26 PM

I continue to avoid print out at home patterns for the very reason that I don't want to have to put together a puzzle before I can start my sewing.

Good luck!!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

In reply to micheleb <<

Date: 11/8/13 4:03 PM

Quote: micheleb
I just downloaded free printable patterns from the Marfy site.

They have printable patterns?

Cool. Nice way to try them out.

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 11/8/13 4:35 PM

I've found that cutting the piece out, putting it on a large sheet of paper and tracing it there is the easiest for me.

That being said, there was a plotter on Freecycle today, and there are two on Craigslist for $50 each. If we didn't plan to move within the year, I would have already bought one. I may still buy one, I'm not sure.

Kathleen Fasanella
star
Kathleen Fasanella  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 1/12/05
Send Message

In reply to Coconuts <<

Date: 11/9/13 10:41 AM

Quote: Coconuts
That being said, there was a plotter on Freecycle today, and there are two on Craigslist for $50 each.

A plotter probably won't help much, not unless Marfy has designed a (separate) file version that will print to it. Burda does it for some of their patterns and will supply one of two file types. I haven't tried the plot file so I can't speak to that.

If one can plot from the pdf file, I would LOVE to be wrong! Some of my customers want to send ai generated pdfs for output so if you know better, I'd be thrilled beyond measure if you could post instructions!

------
http://fashion-incubator.com
Lessons from the sustainable sewing factory floor

mrspie
mrspie
Advanced
Member since 9/29/12
Send Message

In reply to micheleb <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/9/13 2:19 PM

If you have a patio door or large window, the backlighting helps line the pieces up.

I personally will avoid printable patterns as much as possible. I'm missing out on some great stuff, but I just can't stand the tedium of taping them together. If they offer a large-format version that I can just send to my PSB (print service bureau), yay, but the dozens of letter or A4 pages? Ugh.

demoiselle
star
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/9/13 2:44 PM

I made sure to tape each row together from left to right, then after I had each row together, I then taped the rows to each other. That meant I was dealing with fewer pieces for each part of the process.

------
Yes, I started a blog.
http://demoiselledesigns.wordpress.com/

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

Date: 11/9/13 3:26 PM

I have been avoiding the downloading, printing, and taping, but tried it several times over the last few months. First of all, buy cheap tape in bulk at a discount store since you use lots of it. Trimming the same two sides as describe above and taping gives you an overlapped portion which is easier to tape, but more bulky to fold when finished. If you want to reuse the pattern, it might be easier to trace it off on a larger sheet of something after taping the originals.

A good pattern will have registry marks and numbers in the corners for matching.

I still prefer tissue patterns, especially from places like Sewing Workshop that use a nice quality of tissue paper that can be reused many times. But for the occasional "must have" pattern, it's fine.

------
Elizabeth

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Printing out patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 8259 OOP

photo
by: highCsopra...

Review
Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

More Info
SewBaby More Animal Wrappers Pattern

SewBaby More Animal Wrappers Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.