SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sew Alongs > men's flannel shirt sew-a-long ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
men's flannel shirt sew-a-long
come join us!
kellyhogaboom
star
kellyhogaboom
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 10/3/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/10/13 5:08 PM

(Edit - fixed link)

I am hosting a flannel shirt sew-a-long on my blog. I thought I would post here to share, in case someone is interested or knows someone who might be.

I don't know if it's appropriate or desirable that I post this here. Full disclosure, I am also offering up shirt-making kits for sale and I will be eventually linking to those in my blog post. Otherwise though this is just a sew-a-long for anyone to join, especially beginners and/or intermediate stitchers, who want to make a really nice men's shirt in time for the holidays!
-- Edited on 11/11/13 1:13 PM --

Mobycat

Mobycat  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/19/07
Send Message

Date: 11/10/13 7:48 PM

I am interested but I have some other projects that need to be done first and won't be done with them prior to your start date.
I will order the pattern here as per your suggestion.
-- Edited on 11/10/13 7:49 PM --

------
Charlene

kellyhogaboom
star
kellyhogaboom
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 10/3/04
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 1:04 AM

That sounds great! The entire sewalong will be in this tagset:

[ Flannel Shirt Sew-A-Long ]

Join us when you can! I'll be supporting via Skype, email, and text through December.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to kellyhogaboom <<

Date: 11/11/13 10:48 AM

I went to your well-done blog and like how you write, include tons of links and have so many nice details already- like the slipper satin inner cuff. Like Mobycat, I have other projects in the works. I've ordered the pattern, but for certain will be a very later starter and meanwhile will follow along.

In fact, I just ordered a flannel lap-quilt kit- my first. Can't wait to get my hands on it; I'm learning that quilting sites are great resources for good quality flannel. Not sure if all of it is double-side brushed, but boy does that ever feel good. Of course it makes a heavier shirt.

You can check the River City Quilts flannel selection here- Maywood Studio Woolies Flannel and this is the quilt Turning Twenty Again so you can get a sense of the fabric range. Thanks for doing this since the whole menswear area is seriously lacking IMHO.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to kellyhogaboom <<

Date: 11/11/13 11:05 AM

Kelly BTW, the link in your 1st post leads to a Folkware pattern and may be throwing people off the trail. The 2nd link works fine, but one has to persist to get to your blog.

And also, my husband is quite lean. I'm going to be taking the back box pleat out, so anything you have to say about that is appreciated.

Plus, the 2 links in your blog to flannel resources are good. You might consider posting them here too. Thanks.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

kellyhogaboom
star
kellyhogaboom
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 10/3/04
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 1:18 PM

@wendyrb - thank you for pointing out my link mishap! It should be fixed now.

As for a lean husband - my "client" (my son) is very lean. I am simply sewing a size down from his true size, and adding length (for growing room; he's nine so needs it). I don't have any experience removing box pleats from men's shirts (perhaps someone will chime in). It seems pretty straight forward but I'm guessing it is still going to be a roomy fit because the cut of the shirt is roomy.

I am not going to be discussing any fit/alteration in much detail as the sew-a-long is mostly to help beginner or intermediate stitchers end up with a good-looking, well-finished shirt! As you all know, fit and alteration can take up a LOT of time in discussion and can easily overwhelm a beginner (IMO). However, I welcome any discussion about fit or alteration in the comments, etc.

From my blog comments - a few notes on finding higher-quality shirting flannel:

The Moda Wool & Needle line is likely to be quite nice; despite the name there is no wool fiber in the fabric. Fabric.com is not a quick-shipper (although Express Shipping is available), so you'd want to order soon. Hart's Fabric has a good flannel selection, their shipping is quick, and they always have wonderful fabrics and are a delight to work with.

Remember if you treat the fabric carefully, you can use a mid-quality flannel. I'm sewing with a JoAnn's flannel and it's going well.

-- Edited on 11/11/13 1:20 PM --

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

Date: 11/14/13 2:29 AM

Kelly, I've been thinking about/not thinking about your sew-along and the timing isn't too good for me, but I have just committed! I've ordered my pattern through PatternReview and have ordered my flannel through Fabric Mart Fabrics as I feel that these are the quickest sources to obtain the needed items from. I have made DH a few shirts - some western style with the plaid on the bias - so I'm not a complete newcomer, but I'm always open to new techniques. I had read about the collar turning technique and had saved the link in my favorites, but haven't used it yet, so this will be a good time to try it. Hopefully all will arrive in good order and I'll be ready. Looking forward to this sew-along!
-- Edited on 11/14/13 2:31 AM --

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

Date: 11/15/13 2:02 AM

Just had an email from Pattern Review that they are waiting for a new supply of the pattern. I may be late in starting, but I'll be following along by my presence. I'm really looking forward to it.

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

kellyhogaboom
star
kellyhogaboom
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 10/3/04
Send Message

Date: 11/17/13 4:00 PM

Thank you, ann and others who are joining!

The sew-a-long is well on its way. Here is today's post, about tracing the pattern, altering a few pattern pieces, and pre-treating fabrics:

[ Flannel Shirt Sew-A-Long ]

Larisa
starstarstar
Larisa
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/15/05
Send Message

Subject: mens flannel shirt sew-a-long Date: 11/17/13 4:38 PM

using a tried and true pattern, but my son has asked for 2 flannel shirts and my husband said any time I found the thicker flannel he'd welcome another one (he already has 3 that I made).

SO....I have 3 to make...rather to squeeze in among the other sewing tasks (finish 1 quilt top and layer it, etc., get a different, already finished quilt top layered and finished, make 4 pairs of pajama pants, etc.).....I'll follow along, but not officially join...just for help/tips/hints/ideas

------
research associate in the field of child development, married to an engineer

I am woman, I am invincible, I...am...TIRED!!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> men's flannel shirt sew-a-long

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Kwik Sew 3013

photo
by: Elaray

Review
Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants Pattern

More Info
Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.