SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Hancock Fabrics ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hancock Fabrics
Is it worth a long drive?
emm0119
emm0119
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/6/13
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 9:02 AM

I live in SE Michigan, and the only fabric shops near me are Joann, Hobby Lobby, and some quilt shops. There is a nice fabric store in Royal Oak (Haberman) that I need to check out, but from what I've heard the prices aren't always the greatest. I've never been in a Hancock to know whether it could possibly be worth an hour drive each way. If I went I'd be looking to stock up on apparel fabric. Thoughts? Am I better off just shopping online?

------
~Erin~
Bernina 1130
Brother CS6000i
Brother 1034D serger

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 9:21 AM

I am an hour's drive from any fabric store and am primarily a home-dec. person. Hancock's is the nearest store, so I go there several times a year, but I would not consider them to be a great place for apparel fabric if you are looking for a huge variety.

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

In reply to emm0119 <<
thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 10:51 AM

Well, it's certainly worth going at least once. Then you can decide if you want to go again. :)

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

Marie367
Marie367
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to emm0119 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 11:05 AM

They have about the same amount as a JoAnn's but I think some of their fabric is nicer. I prefer to shop at Hancock's. They have a big sale today but they are over an hour for me too now. I think it would be worth it to see.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to emm0119 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 11:10 AM

Hancock's is also nice because they sell Mettler threads - and Metrosene is far and away the best garment thread I have used. Also use it for everything else usually. Also, they sell Maxi-Lock which is most generally used for sergers although I use it for quilting a lot. And they have good sales. Sign up online for the mailings and get your coupons before you go to the store! The nearest Hancock's to me is hundreds of miles away, but I go each year when I visit Seattle and I buy thread and Janome bobbins (they sell Janome machines and a few accessories) and whatever else, and usually fabric that I sew up while I am there. I like Joann's but would love a Hancock's nearer as well.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/11/13 12:35 PM

My take is that Hancocks has more of a sewing focus than JoAnn's.

I didn't have a Hancocks nearby until we moved to the Seattle area a few months ago, and now I have one on the way home from work. (JoAnn's is just a five-minute further drive away.) I probably stop off at Hancocks about once a week--they have a good stock of high quality thread (Mettler, Gutermann) and some hard-to-find elsewhere notions, unless you have a good sewing store nearby. And of course, pattern sales.

Basically, it's a nice option to have nearby. Would I drive an hour each way to visit? Probably not unless I had a shopping list of notions, patterns (assuming that the appropriate pattern sale was running at the time of my visit), etc.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 1:33 PM

It depends on the particular store. We only have one Hancocks left in the area, but when we had more some of them were great but some were not that impressive, as far as amount of apparel fabrics goes. I do think that Hancocks is better than Joann's for garment sewers. I'm not sure I'd make a special trip just for it, though, but I might do a combined trip with any other things I wanted to do in the area. :)

From what I've heard about Haberman's from people here on PR (never been there myself), I'd try there first, at least once, unless you are on a severe budget.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

BriarRose
BriarRose
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/11/13 1:37 PM

We have a Hancocks in town; I think of it as the polar fleece store. That being said, it is the only apparel fabric store in town and I spend a lot of happy moments there pawing through the flat fold tables for treasures. I'd make the drive but then in Wyoming we have been know to drive 100 miles in one direction for an especially good malt. ;)

------
I've quit fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

It's just fabric; we can out-think it.

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 1:41 PM

Funny; I drove thirty minutes each way this morning without thinking twice just to buy cat food...funny how the areas we live in affect our perception of what is a decent or not decent distance to drive for a trip.

I think it's worth seeing once, then you'll have a better sense. It's hard to judge by other people's experiences, particularly when each store is so different. While there are a FEW things I like there, for the most part, the local JA has significantly more with better prices, which means a lot to me. If one store doesn't have it, I generally find it at the other though. Is there another errand you might need to run out that way that would make a trip more worthwhile??

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 93 yards
Sewn: 61 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

emm0119
emm0119
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/6/13
Send Message

In reply to HanPanda <<

Date: 11/11/13 2:02 PM

Thanks for all the input! I'm in the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti area, and while I have regularly driven 30 min each way for local trips for things on the far side of town or east of here, an hour each way feels much further for whatever reason. The closest Hancock looks to be on the south side of Toledo. Not sure what else I'd do down there, but I can't say I've thought about it terribly hard. We pass by Toledo on the way to visit family in Pittsburgh, so I suppose on our next trip I could tortue hubby with a slight detour.

Yeah, I need to take a trip to Haberman, but I've been putting it off because funds are tight right now. Hubby is between jobs and I'm a grad student (I get paid for my research work, but not much).

------
~Erin~
Bernina 1130
Brother CS6000i
Brother 1034D serger

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Hancock Fabrics

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

New Look 6963

photo
by: charid daw...

Review

Pattern

Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.