SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina vs. Baby Lock ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina vs. Baby Lock
upgrading machine
curlycam
curlycam  Friend of PR
Member since 2/27/10
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 9:39 AM

I am currently a Bernina owner but in need of a desperate upgrade! Have my eye on the Bernina 880 or the Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold 2. Can anyone share their thoughts or experiences. Having trouble deciding!

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to curlycam <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 9:57 AM

My impression is that the Ellisimo weighs more heavily to the embroidery side and the Bernina more to the sewing side.
My personal overall impression is that the Bernina is a far better choice.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 10:04 AM

Oh how I wish I were having to make that decision!! Have you visited and played with both machines? I heard on the Bernina yahoo group that Bernina was stopping production of the 880 temporarily due to a problem. I know the 7 series has been fixed, so no worries there. But, it could well be that you need to wait on the 880 to be sure any bugs are worked out.

The EG is a great machine too. Most people LOVE that camera for embriodery and precise placement. I'm a Bernina girl, and I doubt at this point I leave that brand because I have so much invested in feet, but the Ellisimo comes with many more feet, hoops, etc, so it could be a better value for you.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 2:30 PM

They're kind of like apples, oranges - both fruits but with different benefits and taste (feel, perform) very differently.

I think you really need to take what you sew and try each hands on, sewing and embroidery and see how each feels/handles what YOU want to sew regardless of what we say. You could have a unanimous opinion here on which is better but if it doesn't feel right and sew what you want the way you want it, our opinion is meaningless.

------
Karen

alphagam
alphagam  Friend of PR
Member since 8/22/07
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 3:11 PM

I've had a Bernina since 1974. Kept buying the latest, greatest. Bought the 830 and with a few bumps and bruises, I was satisfied. Upgraded to be able to use DesignWorks software and tools. Really, how often am I going to paint? After that upgrade, buttonholes do not work. I bought a BabyLock Ellisimo Gold II and in the process of selling the Bernina. I am now a happy camper.

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 9:39 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to choose babylock over bernina, easier to use less problems, the bernina series lately seem to have a lot of bugs to work out, the ellisimo has been around for quite awhile and at dealers you will see less of them come in for service. I asked this when I was shopping for a new machine I asked my dealer about the bernina and he said the brother/ babylock models were more solid with less problems. I love how my brother sews I have the brother version of the unity and it has some amazing feature. the sewing is better than the ellisimo but the ellisimo has the camera and a larger field. I sewed on a high end bernina and didn't care for it so my choice would be the babylock, that is just my two cents

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 11/12/13 10:39 AM

I have owned both brands, and BL is my choice.

However, this is your money and you should decide. The best way for you to test drive the sewing features as well as machine embroidery of both brands.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

AngieRose

AngieRose  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/1/09
Send Message

In reply to curlycam <<

Date: 11/12/13 10:51 AM

I have owned both brands, Babylock is my choice. Don't over look the Brother DreamWeaver/DreamMaker series of machine either---

------
AngieRose, who love sewing, machine embroidery and quilting. 2008 Babylock Ellisimo, 2013 Brother DreamWeaver VQ3000, Bernina 1090, Singer Featherweight & 2009 Prodigy Quilter
http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com

sewgirl101
star
sewgirl101
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/30/08
Send Message

Date: 11/12/13 11:02 AM

I have the ellisimo and love it.

pamyjo2001

pamyjo2001  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 11/23/06
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 11/12/13 12:37 PM

I tested the Bernina 880, 780, and 580, and the 560. In my opinion the 5 series performed much better than the top of the line series. What I found out with testing the Bernina's is that the machines are too finicky. I think you would be better off choosing a Babylock. Babylock consistently performs.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina vs. Baby Lock

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Butterick 5778

photo
by: Saint Nolt...

Review
Vogue Patterns 8781

photo
by: SewLuva

Review
ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.