SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Sit-Upons ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sit-Upons
Cub Scout project
WantToSewAgain
WantToSewAgain
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 6/15/11
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 9:40 AM

I am working on a craft project for our Pack to do while camping in a few weeks. Since on the one night we will be going to an amphitheater for an evening of skits and flag retiring where we will be sitting on concrete I thought that making sit-upons would be a good craft activity earlier in the day. I found some vinyl at Joan's Red Tag area (which was an additional 50% off...yay!) and I plan to punch holes in it so that the boys can sew the pieces together.

I am looking for some ideas about this. What do you think would be the best kind of "thread" to use when sewing together? Yarn? Leather? Plastic? And, what would be the best item to put inside the sit-upons? When I made one many years ago in Girl Scouts, we just put in newspapers. But, some suggestions I have found on line include a piece of carpet padding, egg-crate mattress pieces, etc. Just wondering if anybody else has made these before and what they used to make them.

Thanks for any ideas or help you can provide!

MissParayim
star
MissParayim
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/22/12
Send Message

In reply to WantToSewAgain <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/11/13 11:57 AM

The girl scout troop I lead did these last year, and it was fun!
We used oilcloth I had pre-cut into large rectangles, and the girls folded them over, sewed them, and stuffed them with egg crate mattress padding that was pre-cut to size.
I thought about punching holes in the oilcloth, but it was more tedious and difficult than I expected. It turned out to be easier to have the girls make their own holes as they went- they used yarn and plastic craft needles (the kind that's thick and not sharp).

------
www.missparayim.com

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 3:40 PM

Years ago I made these with my Brownies. I used cordura packcloth, (like what backpacks are made of) I punched holes with a hole punch and we sewed them with lanyard lacing.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 4:54 PM

Ooooooh... I feel like I've just taken a trip in Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine.

I made this in Girl Scouts a century ago. Memory might be a little bit off, but I seem to remember that we used synthetic knitting yarn. It was thick enough to do the job. We must have used some kind of humongous craft needle, too.

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 4:59 PM

My troop made these also. We laced them with gimp- the plastic lacing. We used egg crate material and vinyl fabric from JoAnns. The girls used Sharpies to draw pictures on one side. Then they took it upon themselves to turn them over and sign their name on everyone else's! The sit-upons are now 6 years old and still holding together The girls get the biggest laughs over their "signatures."

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 7:56 PM

I do not suggest to use newspapers inside. It won't matter for sitting on a cement floor...but if ever used for outdoors and if the ground is damp/wet...moisture will wick into the newspapers and the end result is a molding mess.

BriarRose
BriarRose
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 8:08 PM

We used old cushions off kitchen chairs for the insides- those cushions that tie onto the chairs, y'know?

------
I've quit fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

It's just fabric; we can out-think it.

m/m

m/m  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 4/4/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/12/13 7:00 AM

If you decide to punch lacing holes in them you can get a special rotary cutter blade that will cut slits. See http://www.joann.com/simplicity-deluxe-rotary-blade-slit-edge/10865830.html . That would make things easier that individually cutting holes if it can handle your fabric.

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 11/12/13 2:22 PM

How about using a size 22 needle on your machine and baste through two layers at one time using your longest stitch? That way the plastic needles don't have such a hard job to "poke" through to whipstitch. I don't like the plastic lacing stuff, it it get cold it's unweilding. I might try to think of a nylon like rope or stiff yarn or shoestrings?

------
JanieV

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

Date: 11/12/13 4:49 PM

Could you plan for the campers to stuff their sit upons with things they have to take along for trip?

Considering Cub Scout size bottoms......

A sit upon stuffed with a discounted gardening kneeling pad could be used at home too and the kneeling pad will last for years when it is protected. (or cut up yoga pads or anti-fatigue mats from the home improvement store)

A sleeve of the vinyl to hold a blanket or small pillow rolled into a plastic bag.

A sleeve with a tie fastener at each end and one in the middle. Size it to hold two ziploc freezer bags. The ziploc bags could be stuffed with socks, t-shirts, towels, etc.

The open sleeve with tie concept could also be used to carry other things by planning lacing to accomodate two long straps inserted in each side of the sleeve. Then, an unstuffed sit upon becomes a carrier - maybe even a means for suspending food in a tree.

Do you have enough time for the boys to think about this and come up with designs that might facilitate multiple uses?

It was folded and woven newspaper back in the day for me. Can you imagine the mess that would be now with cheaper ink and paper?

Say, if you use rope (or line) for the lacing can you tie in another skill?

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Sit-Upons

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Abacadabra 103

photo
by: aaltje

Review
Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Buy Now
SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 8817

photo
by: Sandi S

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.