SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Wonder Tape--why do I have this, and what do I do with it? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Wonder Tape--why do I have this, and what do I do with it?
Found in my stash, and I'm sure it's your fault. :b
stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/11/13 4:46 PM

I discovered a package of Wonder Tape in the supply drawer near my ironing board, where I keep all my interfacing, starch, Steam-a-Seam, bias tape gadgets, and all my other fun pressing station goodies. Anything that happens at the ironing board is my favorite part of sewing, so I'm sure that's why I picked this up somewhere--after reading about it on PR, no doubt! But, honestly, I don't remember buying it, I don't know what it's for, and I'm not sure what to do with it!

Can anyone remind, enable, or inspire me?

Thanks!!

------
~Gem in the prairie

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 4:50 PM

It is very popular for getting a zipper positioned in a garment before sewing it in. The tape is supposed to wash away in the laundry.

ETA --- you do not want to hand-sew through this stuff. I once used it to place a zipper. I was going to machine stitch it, then I got the bright idea to hand-pick the zipper. Hand sewing needle does not like to go thru that sticky stuff easily. Machines just laugh at it and plow on through.
-- Edited on 11/11/13 4:51 PM --

Lynn
Lynn
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 10/19/07
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 5:07 PM

If you smock, it's great for "basting" the piping to the smocked piece and getting it exactly where you want it. I've also used it for zippers. It's a temporary hold until it goes through the wash--I'm sure there are even more uses for it!

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 5:37 PM

I can't put in a zipper without it!

It's great for holding trims etc. in place instead of using pins.

The only caution I would have is to not use it on anything too sheer or very light colored. While it does mostly wash out I can still see a little bit of a "ghost" in the seams I've used it on. YMMV

Debbie

BeckyinNM
BeckyinNM
Intermediate
New Mexico USA
Member since 2/2/08
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 7:08 PM

It's also great for machine embroidery hoops. Apply it to the bottom of the inside hoop, it helps against slippage of your fabric. Especially useful with thin fabrics or when hooping just a thin stabilizer for hoopless embroidery or FSL.

------
Babylock Ellageo BLL (Elli), Brother PC420PRW (Dainty Mae), MC8000 (the Hulk), Brother 1034D (Sarge), Brother 2340CV (Prissy), Singer 503A (George) and Singer 66-1 (Granny)

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

Date: 11/11/13 8:02 PM

Since you mentioned that you keep it in the supply drawer near your ironing board, I thought I'd caution you that this is a self-stick product. I wouldn't try to iron it on, as you would with Steam-A-Seam. Just remove the paper covering the sticky side of the tape and press with your fingers to apply. I use it all of the time to "baste" zippers. You'll find many uses for it.
-- Edited on 11/11/13 8:04 PM --

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 11:39 PM

I love wash away wonder tape! I use it for knit hems a lot - it holds everything in place and helps stabilize while stitching, and then I throw the garment in the wash and I've got the stretch of my hem back.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/11/13 11:56 PM

Quote:
Found in my stash, and I'm sure it's your fault. :b
This is one of the funnier thread taglines I've seen yet. Many things with big and small price tags have been "found" in my home and there's no question it is Your/PR's fault. I do believe that I too have an unopened package of Wonder Tape, or 2 or . . .

I'm not sure it would be wise to start tabulating the cost of all my found objects, except I keep telling myself- I'm sewing again, creative and happy. How to put a price on that?

And then there was the Vitamix! Is there a way to sew with that?

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

Date: 11/12/13 4:36 AM

It's great for holding patch pockets in place until you can get them stitched down without pins! As a matter of fact, it's good for holding down a lot of things until they get stitched down. I wouldn't be without it. It's one of those things I keep on my Joann's list for when they have the 50% off the notions wall! You can also use it for matching seams. Press over the seam allowance of a long seam such as when seaming draperies, apply it to the very edge of the fold over piece and then press it into place with your fingers onto your next panel, fold over the piece and stitch on the fold. You can even remove it before proceeding because you aren't actually sewing through the wonder tape.

I'm not sure that this is understandable - sort of hard to explain, but it works wonders when matching prints.

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 11/12/13 4:48 AM

I have a roll for about 7 yrs now, probably for the same reason as you or seen on PBS.
I used it once to line up a row of small buttons along the edge of a shirtwaist type dress.
I put a length of the wonder tape down the side and then spaced the buttons on top. It worked nice, none fell off or shifted.

I think I tried it once to baste a seam in a tote before sewing it when pins were awkwardly poking me. And I used it to secure a tulle net ruffle to the skirt of a doll dress so I could sew it without using pins.

Not a lot of uses but when a challenge presented, it came in handy.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Wonder Tape--why do I have this, and what do I do with it?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Understanding Knit Fabrics
Understanding Knit Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

McCall's 3393

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
McCall's 6608

photo
by: ladyithis

Review
Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern

Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.