SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Contest Discussions > Ways to improve voting in PR contests ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Ways to improve voting in PR contests
suggestions?
JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 11/15/13 7:12 AM

What suggestions do you have to improve voting in PR contests?

If you have suggestions for specific contests you'd like to see, there is already a thread for that: Contest ideas for 2014
-- Edited on 11/15/13 7:15 AM --

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Baja Susana
star
Baja Susana  Friend of PR
Advanced
MEXICO
Member since 7/13/08
Send Message

In reply to JEF <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/15/13 8:01 AM

JEF,
In order to improve voting, we also need to change the structure of the contests, so that voting will be fair.
The contests should be tiered for skill level.
Reviews of contest entries must be meatier, and should not refer to or rely on a blog for content. There needs to be more than one photo.
The entrant must state in their review where in the process , they have met the requirements i.e. : " this is my fitted blouse with princess seams and a button closure, I am a beginner..."
A. If it is a lined jacket, are they showing the lining?
B. If it is a fitted blouse contest that must have a closure, then show us the fitting lines and the closure.

Instructions to the voters should be at the top of the contest gallery. They should include wording like: "...when voting, these requirements must be part of the entry, and compare skill level with the finished garment..."

Shorten the voting time.
Send out a bulk email reminding everyone to get out and vote.
Contest managers need to review the entries to ensure that they fit the guidelines.
Saludos,
Susan

------
Baja Susana
www.susansewsdaily.blogspot.com
Sewing on the beach, what could be better?

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/15/13 8:13 AM

FWIW, to include the pictures you indicated and still have the basic shots, people will still need to link to a blog or SOMETHING at least.

JEF, this is a really hard question. Tiering the votes by skill would still be pseudo arbitrary, because some people don't claim a skill levels, and others do for reasons different than what I might do. I would be more likely to participate, sure! But you'll have contests where only one skill level joins, and then wins by default. Plus it would require asking our generous sponsors to provide MORE prizes. Or would the voting have two components--one tiered and one between the winners of the tiered vote? I don't know, lots to think about.

I think perhaps including the total overall # of votes would be helpful. If I know how many votes I have received, without knowing anyone else's, I would want to know how many overall voted. That information could always be provided in a place where it isn't totally IN YIUR FACE for the people who don't want to know.

Just a few thoughts. :)

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

bluefly
star
bluefly  Friend of PR
Georgia USA
Member since 8/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 11/15/13 8:28 AM

I would keep it as simple as possible for the voters and those that enter. So no requiring multiple photos. Photos are easy to add on other sites, but links and photos are not easy to add on PR. Skill level should not be an issue. One can either sew the garment or they can't. The fairest way would be for entrants to be anonymous. I do not see how that would be possible. I do like detailed reviews and mention of what they did to make the garment special or a twist on the pattern. Mostly, keep it as friendly as possible.

------
"Let's make the most of this day"
bluefly

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 11/15/13 8:40 AM

Han, I think when she says linking to blog posts, she doesn't mean the link in general...but people who put next to NO information in the review and then say, "see my blog". That annoys me too. Not the blog link but the complete lack of meaningful info on the site and I follow TONS of blogs...

I think the only "good" way is anonymous voting, as has been suggested...
-- Edited on 11/15/13 8:52 AM --

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 11/15/13 8:40 AM

Allow people who are submitting a review as a contest entry to upload up to 10 photos. That should allow them to show the basic front/back/side angles and also some shots of the special details, and people voting won't have to go to an outside website.

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

annakeeton
star
annakeeton  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 1/4/09
Send Message

thumbsup 31 members like this.

Date: 11/15/13 8:44 AM

First, if all of the entrants and voters would just follow the rules as stated already with every contest, that would help a lot.

Second, everybody lighten up and do not take the contests too seriously. Have fun with them.

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

In reply to MrsCharisma <<

Date: 11/15/13 8:45 AM

Quote: MrsCharisma
Han, I think when she says linking to blog posts, she doesn't mean the link in general...but people who put next to NO information in the review and then say, "see my blog". That annoys me too. Not the blog link but the complete lack of meaningful info on the site and I follow TONS of blogs...

This makes way more sense xD thank you!!!

Clothingengineer, the adding three photos thing is so new...I wonder if three was chosen because upping the number of photos to a review any more than that would increase the cost of servers to run the site to a degree that is absurd

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to JEF <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/15/13 9:53 AM

Can the voting guidelines be shown at the top of the gallery? I think there is a link to them at present but maybe if they are right there people will be more apt to read them? I think the guidelines I have read for contests are quite clear already. The way I see it you are not really pitting one entry against another...you are voting for the entry that you feel best meets the contest theme. I try not to compare one entry to another but instead I try to pick the one that best conveys the message of the contest.

I think the voting period should be shorter perhaps.

The home page should be changed to better showcase what contest is being voted on. The announcement is now shown in the top box along a bunch of another announcements and it's just all so smooshed together. Maybe the new layout being worked on will be less 'busy'.

Was the voting any better when we got just one vote...or has that never happened?

I would like to see all required pics in the PR review. I have no problem putting in a lot of pics...it's not that hard. Not everyone has a good internet connection and when they have to go to a blog to see pics they probably lose interest. Plus it will put all entries on a more level playing field IMO.

------
Stash: 174.845 yds. @ 12.20.14

Quickie
star
Quickie
NETHERLANDS
Member since 10/8/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/15/13 10:05 AM

Anonymous voting would seem ideal, but in reality anonimity can not exist, due to all other possibilities to give information in other media.
I think that a default price would be fair to everyone who did the job of submitting and I liked the idea in the other post of having an indication that one has submitted in XXX contests.I do not say that winners had bad work but I there are too many others who have good work as well. For the record: I have disabled now my skill-level.
-- Edited on 11/15/13 10:10 AM --
-- Edited on 11/15/13 10:13 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> Ways to improve voting in PR contests

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 11-2011-114

photo
by: sewingsvet...

Review
SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern

SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Buy Now
New Look 6974

photo
by: SheBear032...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.