SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Level of difficulty of pattern ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Level of difficulty of pattern
lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/15/13 10:31 AM

I've been looking at this pattern
McCalls 6613
but how do I determine how difficult it is? Don't most patterns have this information?
I don't do a lot of garments so I want something that won't end up as a wadder.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/15/13 10:45 AM

I don't think it looks terribly difficult, and I think the Palmer/Pletsch patterns have awesome instructions.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to lelliebunny <<

Date: 11/15/13 10:47 AM

Wonderful, that sounds like it's just up my alley!

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 11/15/13 10:51 AM

When there is no level of difficulty, which often there is not, you can try to break down the elements of the pattern.

1. Collar
2. Set in sleeve. If you notice that the sleeve seam is offset, you can tell that you will not be able to attach the sleeve flat. The shirt side seam must be constructed as must the sleeve seam.
3. The offset sleeve seam suggests that the cuff and the placket might be a little simpler to construct.
4. The yoke could be simple or you could learn how to do the "burrito" technique which finishes nicely.
5. Buttonholes

BTW, if you are hesitant about collars, go to page 3 of Tip and Techniques, sewing silly posted on 5/13/13 from Threads what many of us associate with Nancy Zieman. It's a clever way to recut a true shirt collar pattern pieces to achieve great point.

But, back to my original thought. Anytime you see a pattern you are interested in, break it down to construction sessions and consider what you are comfortable doing one thing at a time. The other thing you will want to think about is the fabric used and how comfortable you are with what is needed to achieve the desired effect.

HTH
-- Edited on 11/15/13 10:53 AM --

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 11/15/13 11:04 AM

Break it down into the individual components.

Palmer/Pletsch patterns usually have extra details included in the instructions. Nice that it has a two piece sleeve.

Since you don't do a lot of garments, it will help if you take seam to seam measurements of an existing garment with a good fit and compare that to the seam to seam measurements of the pattern before you start cutting the fabric.

Make practice runs on components before executing the component on the garment.

If your interfacing is generic, with no indication of not needing to be preshrunk, then preshrink it.

I would not categorize the pattern as difficult. It may seem tedious the first time around. The nice thing about this type of pattern when combined with a woven fabric is that attending to the seemingly tedious details should lead to predictable results.
Here is an easy way to find some threads on shirt construction.......

Go up and slightly to the right to find the Search Board function.
Enter in the words below with no spaces between the words - jam them all together into one long word.

shirt construction thread

Click on Messages.

Leave the name of the poster blank.
Found the perfect pocket thread and added it to the search category above.

It was tgmandKittys who suggested earmarking threads that would include shirt construction tips from Soolip.

And, if you are going to make shirts, you will eventually come across helpful tips from Pam-off-the-cuff
-- Edited on 11/16/13 11:11 AM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

mmcp
mmcp  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 5/31/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/16/13 7:45 AM

My first garment EVER was a (collarless) button-front tunic. Now thinking back, I think I was crazy, but that was in the days before the interwebs, so I didn't know any better, and I just went and did it--so if this is what you want to make, you should go for it. Just keep in mind that this is not an immediate gratification project. As others have noted, there are bits that can be fiddly--like the collar, and the front placket. Take your time, practice each step first, and have a wonderful time.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 11/16/13 8:32 AM

I too, think Palmer/Pletsch patterns are the way to go. It's like a little mini sewing lesson in each one.

I had a student in my Lazy Pants class at Joann's (I teach there), who wanted to do something on her own at home. I went with her to the pattern books and we started looking. I pointed out and highly suggested, she go with a Palmer/Pletsch and this pattern #6613, was one of them I wouldn't have suggested this to just anyone though. This lady had a lot of experience with her machine(she was a quilter, coming back to garment sewing). She did very well with her Lazy pants and understood basic sewing concepts. If you have already done some garments and can follow/understand a pattern, I say go for it

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

In reply to EleanorSews <<

Date: 11/16/13 2:13 PM

Quote: EleanorSews
When there is no level of difficulty, which often there is not, you can try to break down the elements of the pattern.

1. Collar

2. Set in sleeve. If you notice that the sleeve seam is offset, you can tell that you will not be able to attach the sleeve flat. The shirt side seam must be constructed as must the sleeve seam.

3. The offset sleeve seam suggests that the cuff and the placket might be a little simpler to construct.

4. The yoke could be simple or you could learn how to do the "burrito" technique which finishes nicely.

5. Buttonholes

But, back to my original thought. Anytime you see a pattern you are interested in, break it down to construction sessions and consider what you are comfortable doing one thing at a time. The other thing you will want to think about is the fabric used and how comfortable you are with what is needed to achieve the desired effect.

HTH
-- Edited on 11/15/13 10:53 AM --

I couldn't say it better!

Before reading through the thread, I went to your pattern and looked it over, saw the back and front both, and thought it over "as if" I might be making it up. But I cannot share anything better than this advice. (By the way, I too like P/P patterns. If I'm not mistaken, they are deliberately intended to be easy to work with, like a mini sewing lesson. They are the ones who publish Winky Cherry's excellent learning to sew method for children.)

Edit: I don't know how comfortable you are with buttons. Just sharing what I did that finally conquered my fear of them. I got some scrap fabric and one day when I was in no hurry, I put on a scented candle and a nice book on CD and just sat there, making them over and over until I was at ease. And I was at ease while getting the swing of it, without any time constraint and with something else to listen to while I was learning.
-- Edited on 11/16/13 2:15 PM --
marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 11/16/13 4:50 PM

I absolutely agree with everyone here. I also would like to add that making a shirt will help you grow in your experience and abilities. I tend to sew with knits a lot, and then spend time with wovens. A shirt is always a technical joy for me. In fact, I have just finished 3 blouses and am planning some collared shirts.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 11/16/13 7:50 PM

Quote: lgrande
I don't do a lot of garments so I want something that won't end up as a wadder.

Aside from the technical difficulty of how challenging it will be to assemble this piece, also consider issues of fit. On the one hand, because it's a unisex pattern, the fit should be pretty forgiving (ie, roomy). OTOH, it can sometimes be hard to make a unisex pattern look flattering on a woman's body--make sure you'll have enough ease in the hips, that the sleeves won't be too long, etc. That would be a bigger concern for me with this pattern.

Have fun!!

------
~Gem in the prairie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Level of difficulty of pattern

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Colette Patterns Pastille

photo
by: miausiau

Review
You Sew Girl 90mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.