SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Fabric Shower Curtains ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fabric Shower Curtains
what kind of fabrics work?
Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 1/7/03 11:15 AM

I want to make a fabric shower curtain with a separate clear vinyl liner. I assume that I will have to piece the curtain, which doesn't bother me at all. Can I use a quilting cotton with a neat design, or would the cotton be damaged by the moisture?

TIA!

------
mmmmm woooool

Georgene
starstarstarstar
Georgene
Expert/Couture
California USA
Member since 10/5/02
Send Message

Date: 1/7/03 11:34 AM

I think you can use anything for the outer fabric layer, as long as the fabric remains outside of the tub and the plastic liner inside.  Of course you would want the fabric to be washable.  I have seen all kinds of stuff used for outer layers, including fine cotton "broderie anglaise" eyelet.

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/7/03 3:06 PM

I've seen lots of fabric shower curtains with a "dry clean only" tag on them.  I've also seen the same label on a Victoria's Secret leather bikini.

Still scratching my head over those....

Member since 3/16/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/8/03 1:19 AM

My shower curtain is made of quilting cotton and is about four years old now.  It's holding up just fine.

I used a flat fell seam to join the involved lengths of fabric and I did remove the selvedge edges before working with the fabric.  (I'm a quilter; I always remove selvedges.)

The only potential problem I'd mention is mold and/or mildew if the bathroom is quite moist and not vented or ventilated by opening the window after someone showers.  I'm in a mild (California) climate and always open the bathroom window after the shower is used.

I do have a vinyl inner curtain, of course.

I say go for it! :D

Gigi Louis
starstarstarstar
Gigi Louis
Advanced
Member since 4/4/02
Send Message

Date: 1/8/03 12:33 PM

I have made shower curtains out of sheets and most recently out of home dec. weight cotton.  Ready-made curtains are always so skimpy!  The cotton shower curtain is in DS's bathroom and there is absolutely no sign of mildewing or other moisture damage.  I can assure you that no one on this earth takes such hot, steamy showers as my DS (we make him keep the door shut because the steam has set off the fire alarm twice! ).  Plus we live in Florida where it's very humid.  I say go for it.

PhyllisC
starstarstarstar
PhyllisC
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 8/2/02
Send Message

Date: 1/28/03 2:56 PM

Sunbrella (T) can also be used for a shower curtain.  It's a solution dyed acrylic used for awnings and outdoor furniture.  Evidently, it's highly water resistant, durable, and mildew resistant. You don't need to line it (according to an email response to just this question that I sent to the manufacturer.)  You can get buy yardage through seattlefabrics.com  Comes in 150 colors, and Seattle Fabrics sells swatch cards.

The company recommends the furnitre grade because it has more drape.  It's expensive; $21 a yard for 54 inch width.  :0

------
Sewing = Fashion
http://coudremode.com/

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
online now
Send Message

Date: 1/28/03 6:06 PM

Quote (ncp @ Jan. 07 2003,12:15)
I assume that I will have to piece the curtain, which doesn't bother me at all.

Or you can make two panels, something like this:

I have this in my bathroom and it looks so pretty!

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

Rebecca H
Rebecca H  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maine USA
Member since 11/27/03
Send Message

Date: 11/24/06 2:07 PM

I was just searching the web for a ready-made curtain (if not plastic, water-resistant at least) for bathroom window right next to the tub. I was also looking for fabrics to sew my own (I can never find the colors I want in ready-made stuff).

While googling for "nylon shower curtains", I came across this website, hosted by the cotton industry: www.mysteryfabric.com

With videos of "mystery fabric victims". The treadmill one is especially funny.
-- Edited on 11/24/06 2:23 PM --

Izzie
starstar
Izzie
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 6/28/03
Send Message

Date: 11/24/06 4:46 PM

I've made many shower curtains and I usually use cotton, home dec fabric. I've never had any problems with mildew.
Here is my lastest creation. I used a Waverly jaquard and washed it twice before sewing. To perfectly match the patten, I ironed a half-inch seam allowance one one side and then applied wonder tape to the inside edge of the SA. Then I stuck it in place, matching the pattern on the other side, and top stitched the seam. Worked perfectly!

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 11/24/06 5:05 PM

I have also made several fabric shower curtains and am currently using one that I made over a year ago. I bought the fabric of Hancocks of Paducah online. Mine has two widths of fabric stitched together and I used an enclosed seam so no raw edges are visible. I do use a vinyl liner and I made buttonholes across the top because that's the way my shower curtain rings are made -- to go through the holes in the vinyl liner so bh's in the fabric curtain work just fine. I do put my curtain in the washer and dryer. Custom made (by you) shower curtains are so much nicer and prettier than purchased ones.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Fabric Shower Curtains

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 2899

photo
by: Cosso

Review
Victory Anouk Paper Pattern

Victory Anouk Paper Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Bath Puppet Pals Pattern

SewBaby Bath Puppet Pals Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.