SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > How do you get the right amount of stretch when applying elastic? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How do you get the right amount of stretch when applying elastic?
allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

Date: 11/20/13 8:42 AM

I have a Babylock Evolution and I'm applying elastic using the elastic foot. I realize that how tight your elastic will come out is a function of a combination of the feed differential and adjustments that you make with the white knob on the foot. As far as I can tell it has a lot more to do with that white knob than the feed differential. My issue is that since the white knob doesn't have any numbers or defined settings, it's impossible to tell where you set it at last time. Right now, I'm aiming for a pretty small gather, IE, I don't want the elastic very tight. The other day in a couple of tries I got it perfect, and now I can't get back there after spending 40 minutes futzing with the settings and wasting a lot of elastic and fabric. Are there any options besides repeated trial and error???

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

JUNIPERJUNE
JUNIPERJUNE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 7/20/12
Send Message

In reply to allorache <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/20/13 9:43 AM

What are you trying to sew an elastic onto? For my bathing suit, I sew 3 inches of elastic to 3.5 inches of bathing suit. On the bottom I sewed 3 inches of elastic to 4 inches of fabric. I marked every 3 inches on the elastic.

simplystitches
simplystitches
Beginner
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 11/20/13 1:05 PM

I find you (at least I) get better results by not using the elastic foot.

I take the length of elastic needed and divide into quarters or eigth's depending on the length. Do the same for item it's being applied to. Match the pins and stretch the elastic to fit between pins. Serge.

No messing with differential or elastic foot. No samples needed. Works every time!

Debbie

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

In reply to JUNIPERJUNE <<

Date: 11/20/13 3:15 PM

It is actually bathing suit fabric, although I'm trying to make a foot/ankle brace. The swimsuit fabric is basically a sock, but open at the toe; then I can slide in an arch support and elastic straps secure it. I'm just trying to put a little elastic at the top of the sock and the open toe to keep things in place.

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to allorache <<

Date: 11/20/13 4:44 PM

You may not even need elastic, you could make bands out of the spandex, like you would ribbing and sew them on.
Flatlock them if you dont want want a seam.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 11/21/13 4:13 AM

I am pretty disapointed in the elastic foot for the BL sergers. It is much faster and more accurate to just cut the elastic to the ration you need and quarter it.
I suppose it would be useful to stitch elastic to a crib sheet or bed sheet or some other very long length. But for garments, I feel it is too time consuming and inaccurate.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 11/21/13 4:36 AM

Well, this is good to know without loads of sampling to learn- the sewing machine trumps the serger elastic application. I like to do the 1/4 sections of shorter elastic applied to 1/4 sections of the garment too on my sewing machine. I also like to place the stretch where I need it most like to cup over the bust and less in the back. Or to cup under the tush and less around the rest of the leg. For that kind of accuracy, a sewing machine is best.

I've given up on the serger blind hem foot and go straight to the sewing machine. However, this could be another thread- comparing best practices the sewing machine or serger? Sorry, let's stick to elastic here.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

In reply to allorache <<

Date: 11/21/13 10:49 AM

I have an Evolution also. I took a three day class on how to use the machine.

This was really helpful to me... Measure the elastic and instead of pin it in place by quartering, the instructor had us sew it in place with a basting stitch on a sewing machine.

Then take it back to the Evolution and sew it using the elastic foot or regular foot.

It really helps to get the elastic where you want it with an even stitch. The pins work but can be tricky if the fabric decides to act up.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 11/21/13 3:49 PM

I have an evolve not yours, but pretty much the same thing. There is no exact formula for that, unless you really used the same exact elastic and same exact fabric multiple times over and over again, measured first and then picked it all out later and measured again, just since so much going on there and also stitch length and other things would factor in too. Even if you marked tick marks on that thing or anything like that at all. Just like kind of when using a ruffler attachment instead on a sewing machine even.

So I think it's good if you want to sew on elastic flat and not stretched in some places (like maybe if sewing many multitudes of bathing suits all the same where you want it with no stretch on the front of the leg and only some under the butt cheeks instead, or maybe if you were making fitted, elasticized bottom sheets for a bed or such, and just that stretched out on the corners of them) just since just crank it up where you want that to happen.

For more precise stuff, and only one thing of each, each time, I find it not worth it for me to use, (I actually do just like using my hands and eyeballs much better for that stuff) particular if serger stitching is then going to be in it, as then even more to pick out later, if not getting how you like.

If dong more like 100 of something, and you were to really sew the same thing, over and over again at the same speed each time, all conditions the same, I think you could more count to yourself as you were doing it, put marks on it, and then just crank it up and down, at a certain # that you were counting out more to your self while doing it that way though.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 11/22/13 6:52 AM

I do use the serger for elastic waistbands and other elastic applications of some length. I just quarter it, stretch between the pins and use the regular serger foot. Its the elastic foot that is an expensive item and not really useful in saving time or improving the process.

For small area of elastic or areas that need special application I use the sewing machine.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> How do you get the right amount of stretch when applying elastic?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Butterick 5789

photo
by: Sew tell m...

Review

Pattern

No Pattern Used none

photo
by: Learn To S...

Review
Petite Plus 401 Pattern

Petite Plus 401 Pattern

More Info
Sewn Square One Swing Shift Pattern

Sewn Square One Swing Shift Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.