SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Did I screw up? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Did I screw up?
Buying Sewing Machine
Goldfishcolor
Goldfishcolor
Beginner
Member since 11/22/13
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 11/22/13 9:18 PM

Okay, this all started with my desire to buy my wife a sewing machine. So, after considering the cheapie Singers at Walmart and Target, I decided to stop by a sewing machine store.

After discussing what I thought my wife might like, they convinced me NOT to go with the department store machines and suggested a few beginner machines they sold. My wife IS a beginner and mainly does crafty stuff and some basic window treatments. She's using an old machine of her mother's.

During our conversation, they questioned whether she might like to do embroidery. BINGO. I think to myself that's really right up her alley with the kind of things she likes to do.

So, after looking at a few machines in the multi-thousands of dollar range, I quickly realized that is more than I wanted to spend.

I leave and begin reading and learning about these machines online. Then I search EBay and find a Husqvarna Viking Designer SE with around 15 hours on it from a VERY nice lady. So, I end up buying it. Haven't received it yet and I find this board. I've read some great reviews and some horrible ones and am hoping I didn't make a mistake on this.

How much should I have paid for this and how likely is it that my wife will have trouble with it?

Thanks for your opinions!

Terri A
starstarstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

In reply to Goldfishcolor <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/22/13 9:35 PM

Wow! How sweet are you!?? Well, I think your wife will be thrilled, especially as a beginner. Also, you could always tell her you are fine with her upgrading or changing to something else later...

KittyBobbin
KittyBobbin
Member since 11/22/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/22/13 9:49 PM

Maybe get her a class with the machineI think she will be very happy and excited to learn. if she doesn't like it.. let her sell it on ebay and get the version she wants

Goldfishcolor
Goldfishcolor
Beginner
Member since 11/22/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/22/13 10:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm a little concerned that she'll become frustrated with it if it gives her trouble. That and the age of it. I've read some folks find that Husqvarna software for this machine doesn't support Windows 7? I don't have an XP computer?

Frankly, I'm not even sure what the software does. lol

Will this prevent her from using the embroidery part?

I have a business logo and was wondering if this machine could duplicate that on shirts/jackets. Would that be possible?

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 11/22/13 11:13 PM

Maybe you could get help also on this area under message board... A lot of us have embroidery machines. Let's discuss tips and techniques...
Moderated by: Pyrose' target='_blank'>embroidery machines on PR

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 11/22/13 11:23 PM

That machine is a very nice machine! No worries. It does have USB capability. HOWEVER the whole world of embroidery is a whole other ball of wax...software is needed to alter designs. Let her take the next step. the machine you bought her is wonderful.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 11/22/13 11:32 PM

You may have to discuss your dilemma with your local Husqvarna dealer. Maybe they will go over the machine and agree to lessons. Undoubtedly there will be fees.

As far as embroidering a specific logo, that may not happen right away. Do you have a digitized version for making the embroidery? If not, there is software for this, but the digitizing can be time consuming.

I suggest not emphasizing the embroidery until she is comfortable with the sewing feature of the new machine.

-- Edited on 11/22/13 11:34 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 11/23/13 2:08 AM

You might want to check out Craftsy and give her a gift certificate for an emb class.
She will need software so perhaps if she gets that program and basic supplies from the H-V dealer, they will give her free classes on using it.
Another option is Embrilliance Essentials software- they have You Tube video tutorials and you can add more software modules over time so not a big investment.
I am sure she will love it. Don't forget to tell her about PR- lots of helpful information.
Another option for learning to sew is American Sewing Guild. If you have a local Chapter she can get lots of hands on help from members.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/23/13 2:30 AM

I read the OP aloud to my husband and he exclaimed- What a sweet guy!

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

quilternowtoo
quilternowtoo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 12/26/09
Send Message

Date: 11/23/13 7:00 AM

I wish I would have kept my SE! It's such a great machine... the best of Viking's machine's that I've owned, and I have the TOL.
I can't imagine it only having 15 hrs.!!! What a find!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Did I screw up?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 2675

photo
by: alimmay

Review
Other k6ja2

photo
by: Ghainskom

Review
Candice

Candice

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.